Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good and cheap DSLR

• 10-03-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm looking for good DSLR camera which one i should choose:

Nikon d3000 or canon 1000d . I need it for pics of landscape,trips etc
    or should buy fz38 and this one should be enough for me.

Is it worth it to pay more for DSLR maybe the difference in pics quality are not so big.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

It's 'DSLR'. That should help with googling.

I don't have experience with either of those cameras, but I'm sure someone will be along soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you're just looking for a point and shoot camera, you'll get plenty of decent bridge cameras which'll do the job perfectly well for you.

Generally, the advantages of a DSLR are the level of manual control you can get, the ability to buy a wide range of lenses and the size to which you could print an image taken on one acceptably.

The drawbacks are size, weight and expense.

For example: if you bought the Canon 1000d with it's standard kit lens (the 18-55) you'd have the equivalent of a 3x zoom on a bridge/compact camera. To extend your zoom range in either direction (i.e. wide angle or telephoto) you'd need to buy additional lenses. I'm sure the d3000 has a similar range with it's kit lens but I'm a Canon user so don't know the details.

You don't need a DSLR to get great pictures and if the camera's just going to be left in auto mode you'd get far better 'bang for buck' by buying a mid to high level compact or bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

As stated already, depends on whether you're looking for total control, or just decent image quality. the sensor in dslr cameras will always create image quality that will win over p&s cameras of the same resolution. You also have full manual controls and there's the option to add on lenses.

P&S cam's often come equipped with super zoom capabilities, I have a fuji s1000fd myself, it's got 12 x optical, but also good manual controls. But to be honest, there is noticeable dip in quality on images taken at full zoom. Also a lot of point and shoots that have 10 x zoom or more, start from a very wide angle, but still only zoom to say, 70mm dslr equivalent. This is because they try fit everything into the one lens, macro, wide angle, zoom ... the glass in dslr lenses will be superior.

Look around for a second hand dslr, unless it is something pocket-sized you're after, and only to be used in auto-modes.

Just to strengthen my point, in a review for the Olympus E-P2, a very expensive 4/3 cam the size of a point and shoot, the reviewer says re: Image quality -

"IQ is not quite to the standard you can buy for less money in a more traditional DSLR. It is, however, acceptable for general use"

On Performance: "A solid and versatile performance in a compact body, but traditional DSLRs will edge the performance scales in terms of speed and durability"

This is an £899 camera they're talking about, much higher end than most point and shoot models on the market, yet even still they say a much cheaper DSLR will out perform it and have better image quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

devil-80 wrote: »
    Hi.

I'm looking for good DSLR camera which one i should choose:

There is no easy answer to that question.
    Nikon d3000 or canon 1000d . I need it for pics of landscape,trips etc

Both are well regarded as entry level DSLRs. Read the reviews and look
    at the sample photos before you make your choice. Just to complicate
    things further, Olympus and Sony have some nice cameras in the same price
    range.
    or should buy fz38 and this one should be enough for me.

Possibly. I have the FZ28 and it is an excellent camera.
    Is it worth it to pay more for DSLR maybe the difference in pics quality are not so big.

Thanks

A good bridge camera or entry level DSLR will produce excellent
    images in daylight conditions or indoors with a flash. The DSLR
    will give superior results under low light conditions ie: night shots
    or indoors without a flash. The DSLR will be faster (more shots per
    second and faster startup time).

Advantages of the bridge camera:
    Smaller and lighter than a typical DSLR
    A bit cheaper to buy.
    Comes with a zoom lens that would be a very expensive extra for the DSLR.

Also consider a used DSLR. Many camera freaks like to have the
    latest & greatest gear, so you will often find good SH cameras at
    reasonable prices.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Thanks for advices guys. I think Ill buy fz38 because that will be enough for my needs dont want to spend too much money for lenses for DSLR but from other side i can have it sony a230 with DT 18-55 F3.5-5.6 so choice its very hard :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I've the FZ28 ... and find it great for everything I've thrown at it ...

That said .. low light conditions it can get slightly grainy .. I believe its the same issue with the FZ38 ..

The FZ38 however will give you pretty great video as well

Advertisement