Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to sell a gun privately

Options
  • 10-03-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

hi just wondering how to go about selling agun privately,its a cz452 .22 lux with case shoulder strap 3-9x40 scope and mounts cleaning kit(brand new) and cheek riser.Just wanted to know how hard it is to sell it privately or what you what way you go about it

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I done something like the following when selling one of my firearms.

When you advertise the gun, meet the buyer then agree a price the routine is very similar to buying from a dealer. The buyer would leave a small deposit (5 or 10% of the price seems fair). The buyer would get an FCA1 and fill in all his/her personal details. Then in section 3.3 (Source of Fiream) the buyer would put in your firearm cert number and your name, address and phone number. No harm to supply a copy of your license for him/her to submit with their application for varification purposes. Then the buyer would submit the FCA1 to his local station.

On successful application the buyer would then get his new license and return to you. He would furnish you with the new license for inspection and a copy (of both sides) of the license. You provide him with a receipt.

Then you must transfer your old license onto another firearm using an FCA1 and ticking the substitution box in section 1 - Application type (if you are getting/have one). Not all details are needed in substituting, only name, address, new gun details, etc. You do not need GP, referees as this information will already be on file or fill in an FCA2 cancelling the license altogether (if you no longer intend to license a .22 rifle). That should be it. If i've missed any steps i'm sure someone will remind me.

(Don't forget to get the remainder of your money :D)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

ill buy the cheek riser if the price is right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What if your licence is due for renewal? Do you get your new licence and then sell the gun? It wouldn't seem right to get a licence and sell the gun a month later, you just lost 80 euro. How much do gun dealers charge roughly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What if your licence is due for renewal? Do you get your new licence and then sell the gun?..........

If you do not intend to buy/relicense on another rifle then i would suggest leaving the riflr into a dealer to sell for you or if your extension is still valid using any details necessary from it and also a call to your local Garda/FO would go astray (for clarificationpurposes). I have been known to be wrong about specifics.

If you intend to buy a new rifle or transfer to another rifle then the point is moot as you will need a license, so irrespective of the serial number on the license its still €80.

Some dealers may charge for holding/selling the gun, but if you have a good relationship with a particular dealer i would advise to go to him/her. If you have done a good bit of business with them they should turn you the favour.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement