Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BC:2 Performance Tests

Options
  • 10-03-2010 2:30pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Very good article here for those who are not too sure if their PC is good enough for BC:2

Add to this the fact that two years have passed since Crysis was released, and the average gaming PC has got a lot faster in the process. We must agree with DICE's assessment of recommending a Radeon HD 4870 or GeForce GTX 260 graphics card as a minimum if you want to enjoy all the eye candy this game has to offer.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 doesn't scale down very well, as we saw roughly a ~5 fps performance gain when going from the high to the medium quality preset. At the same time, there was very little difference in graphics quality or detail.

When going from the medium to the low quality settings we saw anywhere from a 10 – 20fps increase, which allowed graphics cards as slow as the Radeon HD 4830 or GeForce GT 240 to deliver an acceptable level of performance at 1680x1050.

http://www.techspot.com/article/255-battlefield-bad-company2-performance/

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cherryghost posted this the other day :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055849692

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Remind me to ban Cherryghost.

Did he post this one ?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/battlefield-bad-company-2.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ponster wrote: »
    Remind me to ban Cherryghost.

Did he post this one ?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/battlefield-bad-company-2.html

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

We must agree with DICE's assessment of recommending a Radeon HD 4870 or GeForce GTX 260 graphics card as a minimum if you want to enjoy all the eye candy this game has to offer.

Boo. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

D22 some of the guys are running on 8800* cards and are having no probs at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

d22ontour wrote: »
    Boo. :(

You will be fine if you ever get the damn game :D

TIGgers its d22s birthday on saturday ;) cough steam gift cough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

What do you expect a game this BEAUTIFUL to run on real old tech. It will run pretty well on old tech but you really cant expect to have full eye candy on....come on guys.:rolleyes:

I will tell you this....I changed the game from DX11 to DX9 last night to see would it help with the random disconnects and it did not....but the difference graphically is HUGE....would not have taught it but it was.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    What do you expect a game this BEAUTIFUL to run on real old tech. It will run pretty well on old tech but you really cant expect to have full eye candy on....come on guys.:rolleyes:

I will tell you this....I changed the game from DX11 to DX9 last night to see would it help with the random disconnects and it did not....but the difference graphically is HUGE....would not have taught it but it was.

He has a 4770 and a monitor with max res of 1280, he will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

I bought BFBC2 on the back of enjoying BF2 towards the latter half of 09.

my XPS plays BF2 very smoothly ( I've only played single player )

my setup doesn't appear to be able to handle BFBC2. I have changed the system res to 800 * 600 . I have set the in game video settings to 1240 * 768. I have updated the NVIDIA driver.

Is there anything else I can look at in order to improve performance ?

I got a taste for the action in the Cold war campaign.. its frenetic! much different to BF2. and thats even when the mouse/keys are so unresponsive I can't get a bead on the enemy and am effectively a sitting duck.

cheers,

Gollem

my setup doesn't appear to be able to handle BFBC2. I have changed the system res to 800 * 600 . I have set the in game video settings to 1240 * 768. I have updated the NVIDIA driver.

I got a taste for the action in the Cold war campaign.. its frenetic! much different to BF2. and thats even when the mouse/keys are so unresponsive I can't get a bead on the enemy and am effectively a sitting duck.

cheers,

Gollem

you need a nmew GPU tbh, does the XPS take GPU upgrades?

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    you need a nmew GPU tbh, does the XPS take GPU upgrades?

don't know (much about hardware :)) if it does. I can check.

I have access to a Dimension 5100 that will.

at the moment I think it has an ATI X1650 512MB card in it so I can check to see how it runs on that over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

cheers,

Gollem

unfortunately you're stuck with waht you have...the 8400gs is little better than integrated graphics and definitely not able for BC2..
    Best thing if you're really into gaming is flog it and either buy a good desktop with the money or get another laptop such as the xps 1730 etc..you can pick them up cheap enough if you look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

turning off bloom really makes a difference on this game.
    Running at 1920x1200 (1xAA, 1xAF) and all settings on high gives me an avg of 134fps :D. I could up the AA but I'd much prefer the fps.
    System spec is Core i7-950 with 6gb of ram and 2x5870s.
    Have to say BC really looks beautiful and at first I though "meh" but now I'm getting to enjoy it..

Berkut wrote: »
    unfortunately you're stuck with waht you have...the 8400gs is little better than integrated graphics and definitely not able for BC2..
    Best thing if you're really into gaming is flog it and either buy a good desktop with the money or get another laptop such as the xps 1730 etc..you can pick them up cheap enough if you look around.

cheers for the info.. not looking good.

do you know anyone looking to buy a used(once) copy of BC2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Has anyone seen any comparison shots with bloom on/off, tried googling couldnt find any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Has anyone seen any comparison shots with bloom on/off, tried googling couldnt find any pics?
    +1, Can someone upload pics please? I have ATI 4850 I will probably need to turn it off, just want to see what I will be missing out on.

Seems to make little difference but turning 'effects' from high to medium willr reduce the 'bloom' effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Seems to make little difference but turning 'effects' from high to medium willr reduce the 'bloom' effect.

I though turning Bloom off in settings.ini increases FPS significantly? Gonna try it tonight and see how I get on

Bloom had no effect when i turned it off using a 4870

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bloom on: the sun bounces off buildings, and on certain maps makes flying one direction is blinding.

The sun bouncing off buildings is not too bad, but if you are trying to snipe someone in a window, it's fairly blinding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TheFairy wrote: »
    D22 some of the guys are running on 8800* cards and are having no probs at all.

running fine on my 8800gts 320mb

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I had all the bells and whistles on for about a week before I quickly realised that you are at a serious handicap when it comes to actually playing the game....bloom and wind dust on certain maps etc and the snow level with the snow breeze you can see jack shi.t....so all the EYE CANDY had to go....Shame really coz it looked the part. But dam am I getting stabbed coz the sun looks PREEETTTTYYY!!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Some of these benchmarks provided by the likes of xbit ans so on so forth dont seem to be too accurate, here is the reason why:

My pc specs are as follows:

I7-860 @4.4ghz
    8GB 1666mhz dominator ddr3 @ stock speeds, but 6-6-7-19 timings
    2 x 5970 in crossfire @ stock speeds

When i play on a single screen at 1920*1080 with everything maxed out with the highest AA + AF settings in game, and in the CCC with everything set to quality my FPS never drop below 100. Some of the sites seem to point towards this game being very badly optimized for CF regulary with a dual/quad gpu setup only gaining 10-15% of a performance boost.

What are you guys getting, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

i5 750 2.67ghz with gigabyte p55a-ud5 mobo running a single 5850 card on a Dell 24' screen @ 1920 x 1200 everything on max
    getting a steady 50 fps if i turn off aa and bloom it shoots up to about 80fps

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Seasonic M12 700W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, P35, Socket-775,ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, 1333FSB, 2xPCI-Ex16
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    8 gig Corsair DDR2 1066mhz
    Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    windows 7 64 ultimate
    2 X Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

Im running at my 24" monitors native res of 2048 X 1152 [to me this res is just beautifull so id rather sacrifice eye candy instead of dropping resolution]
    Getting a minimum of 50 fps max of 90 fps everything set to medium except texture detail which is set to High , FSAA X4 AF X4.
    Theres not much difference visually between medium and high but a loss of about 5-10 fps for me.
    DX9 offers less framerate for me than set to auto ie DX10 on my card.

If i drop everything to low except shadows [it looks crap with low shadows imo so i leave them at medium] my fps shoots through the roof with a minimum of 80 fps and in all honesty theres isnt a massive difference in visual quality on urban maps but maps with trees and foilage you can see the poor quality trees etc.

Hope that helps you Ryan :)
    As you can see im not top end but the game looks and runs great imo.

A friend of mine got a new rig a few weeks ago similar to your spec except he has one 5970 and like you runs everything totally maxxed,hes running on a 32" LCD TV @ 1920X1080 , i didnt see him running fraps so cant say what fps was for sure but considering im insanely fussy about framerate id estimate he never dropped below 80-100 fps, the thing was smooth as butter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

i7 920 at 2.8ghz/6gigs of gskill/gtx295

everything maxed at 1920x1200 i get 60/70 fps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

Spec in sig
    what should I Change
    60-75fps using fraps

"[WindowSettings]
    Width=1680
    Height=1050
    Fullscreen=true
    RefreshRate=60
    VSync=false
    [Sound]
    Quality=medium
    VoipEnable=true
    SpeakerCount=0
    [Graphics]
    Effects=medium
    Soldiers=high
    Vehicles=high
    Overgrowth=high
    Undergrowth=high
    StaticObjects=high
    Terrain=high
    Shadows=low
    Bloom=true
    HSAO=false
    MSAA=0
    Water=medium
    MainQuality=custom
    Texture=high
    DxVersion=auto
    Aniso=0
    Detail=high
    RenderAheadLimit=2
    Fov=55"

> 60-75fps using fraps

Why do you want to change anything if your fps is ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

oh sorry my bad ,not the fps ....thats fine ,,,
    but it looks kinda horrible, could just be me but I expected more .

Whats the norm on FOV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Advertisement