Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about getting a dog

Options
  • 10-03-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm just looking for your honest opinions...
    We're thinking about getting a dog.
    My parents always had a dog when I was growing up, and now that I have my own house it's something the dog's companionship is something that I really miss.
    I love going home and having the dog make a fuss of me and playing with her, there's no other feeling quiet like it.

So we decided to have a look at the pounds and dog shelters.
    But now I'm having second thoughts after filling out one of the applications forms.

We've no kids, but the problem is that while on paper we both work full-time, we're at home alot of the time too.
    I leave for work at 9, while partner doesn't leave till 10/11...plenty of time to take a dog out for a morning run.
    He'll come back to the house at lunch time, around 1, and then I'll be home at 5.30/6, again we'd have loads of time to take the dog out.

We live in an estate on the edge of a town but we have a secure garden (6ft fencing on two sides, 6ft block wall on the other and a 6ft garden gate which is always kept padlocked). The garden big enough for a smaller type dog possibly terrier or little bigger and we are surrounded by loads of green fields for runs and walks.

If we we're going on hols or away for the weekend, my parents who have a 1/2 acre garden and their golden lab would be more than willing to have our dog stay over.

Do you think a pound or dog shelter would give us a dog on that information?

I'm kinda confused about it all...I feel that while the pounds and shelters have to be very selective about who they give their animals too, they are also being too restrictive.
    I could go out in the morning and buy a puppy, and not have any home visits (I'm not opposed to them going to inspect our house BTW) or application forms to fill out.
    We would prefer to give a loving home to a dog who maybe hasn't had the best start to life.

Any thoughts or comments welcomed...
    I don't want to waste their time and our time with application forms and visits etc, if we would not be suitable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

kildareash wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I'm just looking for your honest opinions...
    We're thinking about getting a dog.
    My parents always had a dog when I was growing up, and now that I have my own house it's something the dog's companionship is something that I really miss.
    I love going home and having the dog make a fuss of me and playing with her, there's no other feeling quiet like it.

So we decided to have a look at the pounds and dog shelters.
    But now I'm having second thoughts after filling out one of the applications forms.

We've no kids, but the problem is that while on paper we both work full-time, we're at home alot of the time too.
    I leave for work at 9, while partner doesn't leave till 10/11...plenty of time to take a dog out for a morning run.
    He'll come back to the house at lunch time, around 1, and then I'll be home at 5.30/6, again we'd have loads of time to take the dog out.

We live in an estate on the edge of a town but we have a secure garden (6ft fencing on two sides, 6ft block wall on the other and a 6ft garden gate which is always kept padlocked). The garden big enough for a smaller type dog possibly terrier or little bigger and we are surrounded by loads of green fields for runs and walks.

If we we're going on hols or away for the weekend, my parents who have a 1/2 acre garden and their golden lab would be more than willing to have our dog stay over.

Do you think a pound or dog shelter would give us a dog on that information?

I'm kinda confused about it all...I feel that while the pounds and shelters have to be very selective about who they give their animals too, they are also being too restrictive.
    I could go out in the morning and buy a puppy, and not have any home visits (I'm not opposed to them going to inspect our house BTW) or application forms to fill out.
    We would prefer to give a loving home to a dog who maybe hasn't had the best start to life.

Any thoughts or comments welcomed...
    I don't want to waste their time and our time with application forms and visits etc, if we would not be suitable.

My Family and I recently adopted a dog from Dogstrust. We had to fill out the forms and had a home visit to verify that the garden was secure. The main thing I got form the process is that its very important that the dog is not left on his own for any long periods of time. In our case that's not a probelm as I work shift and the wife is a housewife thats really is only out when collecting the kids from school.

That said however a couple that I work with were turned down for a dog from the same place due to the fact that they would not be there during the day as the both worked.:(

I wish you the best of luck in getting a dog which will bring you a new host of memories. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

OP - ever thought about two dogs, then they would be company for each other? it's not ideal keeping a dog on it's own, but personally i'd prefer that to a dog being PTS - whereabouts are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

op pounds do not do checks you are taking al little bit more risk with a pound dog as usealy you wont know their backround but all in all most are just good dogs that got lost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Most rescues will take into account the amount of time the dog is left alone, generally 4 hours at a time is ok (unless it's 4 hours, owners home for 5 mins, another 4 hours, owner home for 30 mins, another 4 hours again!). Everyone who applies to a rescue has certain things they can and cannot provide for a dog - it is always worth applying to see if there is a dog that you would be suited to.

The two dog option is a really good one too if they are going to be home alone for periods of time. They keep each other company and (IMO) the more the merrier.

You can always contact rescues by email or phone to have a chat about whether or not they think you are suitable. They want to home dogs to homes where they will get the love and care they haven't had up until now and if you explain your situation they may be able to work things out or steer you in the right direction.

Where are you in Kildare (presuming from the name!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Hi OP

Its true that pounds do not do home checks and may also be a bit more lenient (sp?) with their requirements then organised rescue centres.

Although pound dogs are seen as a 'riskier' choice for want of a better word, I think the best thing to do when dealing with the pound is to go visit, if you see a dog you like, try to spend time with it and get to know his personality, try to get as much info as you can. Pound dogs are often the most needy as they are more likely to be put down :(

Also, if working during the day, go for a slightly older dog. Pups wouldn't cope well with being alone. Two dogs is a good idea, thats what we did.

I know in an ideal world a dog would have someone around during the day, but the reality is that people have to work. The fact that you are giving a dog a much needed home should be the most important thing. Apply to the rescue centres, the forms arn't complicated and its worth trying! Giving a home to a rescue dog really is the most rewarding experience.

Best of Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You sound pretty good on paper to me.

http://www.adogslife.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Thanks for all the replies, just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts and experiences.

We're based in Carlow (originally from Kildare).

The dog won't be on it's own for long periods of time, the longest will in the afternoon between my partner going back to work after 2 and when I get home from work between 5.30/6.

I hadn't thought of getting a second dog coz I'm not sure if our garden would be big enough for two.
    And we don't particularly want a pup because they do need alot more attention and exercise than a more mature dog.

I've absolutely no problem with checks or forms or anything else that centres feel they need to do. They're just being responsible.

The feedback is appreciated tho, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

4 hours is fine, what is meant by long periods of time is people going to work at 8 in the morning and not coming back until 5 or 6.

Most rescues will have a list of criteria anyway so you can check it out before applying to them or as another poster said just pop them an e-mail.

You should also check out http://www.irishanimals.ie/homes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

i hear greyhounds make great pets, don't need huge amounts of exercise, there are a few folks here who know alot about them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Small to medium dogs (1 or 2) in a small garden tend to do fine (unless we are talking about 5 foot square or a particularly active breed - Spaniels, Collie etc.) as long as they are walked enough. Don't let it put you off that you don't think you are suitable, as I said before - the rescue will often work with people to find them the ideal dog (or dogs) for their situation.

As Toulouse mentioned, www.irishanimals.ie is a great place to start to find dogs and also to find websites and other contact info for rescues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

PaulB91 wrote: »
    i hear greyhounds make great pets, don't need huge amounts of exercise, there are a few folks here who know alot about them

We had a whippet at home years ago, he was great. But even tho he ate like a horse, his ribs were also showing...got funny looks from people!

Thanks for the advice tho everyone, I'll contact a couple of places over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I think your a good candidate for a dog, myself and my girlfriend both work similar hours to you guys and I come home at lunch in the afternoon and walk him in the mornings and evenings and he's fine playing in the garden on his own for a few hours. It's only if he's out there all day on his own with no walks etc that the problems start.

Also agree with the two dog option to keep each other company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Rachelann

Make sure your garden is secure. I recently got a dog and we have an 8 foot fence and he has started digging holes underneath is and escaping out. If he is an escape minded dog he will find a way and there's no way of telling until you get him.
    My dog also hates being on his own even for short periods so while I'm in work he goes to a friends house where there are people there all day.

I think you'd be ideal for a dog, but just be aware that some things are completely unforseen - we thought we were completely prepared and it's always entirely down to the dog you get. Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rachelann wrote: »
    Make sure your garden is secure. I recently got a dog and we have an 8 foot fence and he has started digging holes underneath is and escaping out. If he is an escape minded dog he will find a way and there's no way of telling until you get him.
    Fences mounted on poles/beams sunk into the ground won't stop any animal from getting in or out of a garden. If you're erecting a fence for this purpose, you'll need to bury the fence at least 12 inches into the ground. This won't stop very determined dogs, but that extra 12 inches means it'll take time to dig the hole, so you should be able to spot it before he gets out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Rachelann

seamus wrote: »
    Fences mounted on poles/beams sunk into the ground won't stop any animal from getting in or out of a garden. If you're erecting a fence for this purpose, you'll need to bury the fence at least 12 inches into the ground. This won't stop very determined dogs, but that extra 12 inches means it'll take time to dig the hole, so you should be able to spot it before he gets out!

Yes, unfortunately that would mean taking the fence up and re-doing it. Wishing we'd thought of that before. We were thinking at the time, "he wont get over" rather than under. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Talk to Gina in www.paws.ie about getting a rescue Greyhound? They're fantastic pets, and tend to sleep a lot during the day which would be ideal for your circumstances. They don't require a lot of excerise (less than a lab for example), and short morning and evening walk would be perfect!

Another thing to consider is noise. The last thing you want is a yappy terrier annoying your neighbours when you're not there during the day. You'll never get a peep out of a greyhound, they're fantastic!! (but they would have to sleep indoors however!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Rachelann wrote: »
    Yes, unfortunately that would mean taking the fence up and re-doing it. Wishing we'd thought of that before. We were thinking at the time, "he wont get over" rather than under. :o
    just dig down and attach a foot or two of fencing to the bottom of the old one or line the fence with slabs so the dog has togo under the slabs first

Advertisement