Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portrait Professional - C&C and Thoughts

• 10-03-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I saw an advert for Portrait Professional (http://www.portraitprofessional.com/) in Practical Photography this month and decided to splash out the €45 needed for download.

Here's my first attempt at using it. The jury's still out in my mind about it. I'll try and get a before photo also for comparison.

Anyone else use it??

4421035416_29e1915703_o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I have played about with it before. You really have to go easy on the settings and avoid using it's defaults otherwise it looks far too processed. It is good for softening skin tones and whitening teeth & eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Here's my first attempt at using it. The jury's still out in my mind about it. I'll try and get a before photo also for comparison.

That looks really dreadful, plasticky and horribly over-processed. I'd zip that slider back from 11 to about 3 or 4 or so ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

That looks really dreadful, plasticky and horribly over-processed. I'd zip that slider back from 11 to about 3 or 4 or so ...

Yeah - that's what I thought - but when you've been looking at the same image for a while, you start to question yourself!

I'll toy about with it later - it seems to be OK but the "plasticky" feeling is to be avoided at all costs.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the general rule seems to be that plasticky is OK if done in PS, but not in PP :rolleyes:

I use it the odd time to dolly up the picture of the ladies. They love it...makes them all giggly to see themselves looking a bit younger :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

You should have posted up a before and after like the advert for the program does. I was thinking of looking into this program after seeing it in the same mag myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the default image in the gallery on the site - the one of the couple - leaves him looking like a mutant after processing. you'd think they'd have a better example to lead with.

in fairness, the example you have posted doesn't look that bad. unless you're looking really closely, it could as well be a really good make-up job

the default image in the gallery on the site - the one of the couple - leaves him looking like a mutant after processing. you'd think they'd have a better example to lead with.

I like the "make your asians look less asian" face reshaping feature. And the quotes on the site ...

"I even had one of my female clients tell me that I was the best photographer she'd ever been photographed by. She said "This is the first time I've ever seen a photograph that looks like me" (It looked better)."

(emphasis mine) Easy to see where their sales pitch is heading :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Yikes, it's one thing to remove a few blemishes, but it changes the shape of people's heads? No thanks.

ColmDawson wrote: »
    Yikes, it's one thing to remove a few blemishes, but it changes the shape of people's heads? No thanks.

no no no, you don't understand. It makes people look BETTER. If that involves fudging the old noodle a little then so be it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

no no no, you don't understand. It makes people look BETTER. If that involves fudging the old noodle a little then so be it :rolleyes:

it doesn't make people look better. it makes them look more like they wish they looked like, or in the case of the lady quited on the website, it makes them look like they think they look like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

That does no favours to the model. You could try Cspringers photoshop action (http://www.atncentral.com/image_enhance.htm). I hear you can get good results from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use it a bit and find it fine in small doses, as said above the ladies love the effect it gives and if you look in any magazines and the likes of the Dove "evolution" video you will see what the real world is used to.

Sometimes you have to stop thinking like a photographer and think more like a client and what they would like to see.

it doesn't make people look better. it makes them look more like they wish they looked like, or in the case of the lady quited on the website, it makes them look like they think they look like

I know, I was being facetious. I think the entire idea is repellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen photos of myself (taken at a wedding) with whitened teeth and whites of eyes, wrinkles in skin removed, etc.
    it's actually kinda unnerving - a happy valley effect, i suspect. i look like lestat in them.

if i wasn't so bemused, i reckon i'd be entitled to be a bit insulted at someone taking it upon themselves to 'improve' me.

i've seen photos of myself (taken at a wedding) with whitened teeth and whites of eyes, wrinkles in skin removed, etc.
    it's actually kinda unnerving - a happy valley effect, i suspect. i look like lestat in them.

Does that mean that ordinarily you look like Tom Cruise with no makeup on ?
    *shivers*

Does that mean that ordinarily you look like Tom Cruise with no makeup on ?
    tom-cruise-acting%20crazy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'd zip that slider back from 11 to about 3 or 4 or so ...

The sliders go to 11.... wow that really is powerful software... :p

spinaltap_11.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

OK - so I went back to the drawing board so to speak, here's a BEFORE shot

4423121166_5307a535be.jpg

and an AFTER shot

4422355427_7c1f89f60c.jpg

The after has less "plasticy" feel to it, but I've overdone the fake tan.

I'm beginning to like this programme - and at only 45 euro, it's decent value too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

You know when you've been Tangoed

I know, I was being facetious. I think the entire idea is repellent.

as was I :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

How come in the after shot there is a big smudge on her shoulder? :confused:

I have to admit, having never heard of this program before, I quite like the look of it.

Would love to see some more real life examples though (ie; not off the website that's trying to sell it to you!).

How does it work when you actually open it? Is it just a slider as mentioned above, or a series of complicated buttons and menus that mean there is a large learning curve?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i find the program pretty ming, gives nasty ol effect. grand for spotty teenagers, but for a model... just looks like she HAD to be edited, he skin looks better pre pp imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

100% as he said.
    It's like one of those medievel paintings of Kings and Queens from centuries back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The after has less "plasticy" feel to it, but I've overdone the fake tan.
    Still look's totally lousy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

There is a skin smoothing action in paint shop pro that's brill. I now use Photoshop though nut there are plenty of actions you can download. My favourite is coffee shop portrait.

I like a bit of pp, I 'thinfy' myself in every shot but wouldn't dare so it to a client unless I was asked to although I do smooth all skin slightly, even babies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have PP and got another one called Imagenomic Portraiture which I like as it doesnt need a lot of looking after and can be stuck into an action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

The original pic looks fine and normal to me but the altered one looks like a plastic toy doll which was dipped in chocolate. No offense intended.

Why do some people want to look like something their not? If I want my photo taken then I want it to look like me. If I get an "improved" version made, then when I look at it I'm still going to think that wasn't really how I looked.

Then again, I'm a bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

skin tone in second shot looks worse to me, can see its use for cleaning up blemishes, but too much seems to look plastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I dont really agree that postprocessing is always an imporved version. A lot of the time the camera makes blemishes or lines look a lot worse than they are, so I find the right amount of skin smoothing brings things more like reality although it easy to go past the right amount and improve, as I said before though I do like a bit of improvement.....

Advertisement