Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype & 3

• 10-03-2010 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Considering signing up with 3 in the near future. Had a question in relation to how skype is operated on their network.

If I were to purchase a skype landline number, would I be able to use that number via the skype appication on my mobile? Or is it a case that only the username is allowed to be used?

Could be a stupid question but I've not used skype all that much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,241 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It only gives you the option to log in with your username, I think your skype number will be linked to your skype name so if someone rings your skype number you should get the call as it comes to your skype name, I haven't tested it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It only gives you the option to log in with your username, I think your skype number will be linked to your skype name so if someone rings your skype number you should get the call as it comes to your skype name, I haven't tested it.

Cheers for that, I was thinking along the same lines re the login and phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

skype in won't work on 3 i've tried it google it you'll see allot of people have tried this and failed. There are some work arounds which aren't great and you have to pay for most of them or else leave a pc running with skype 24h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

FWIW - i use skype perfectly on my N900 on 3!

now, thats using the builtin skype client to stay logged into my skype account. I can place and receive skype calls perfectly. Granted I dont have a skype dialin number, but i suspect that were I to buy one it would work perfectly well -- while im logged into skype it'd ring and while im off skype i'd have it set to auto-divert to my cell number.

As for logging straight into skype from your handset Im of the belief that its your handset that matters.....specifically, its skype client. The skype clients on 3-subsidised handsets are crippled clients that place calls over the voice circuit rather than via the IP connection. This is how 3 can control it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nutterguy

Three Ireland have their own skype client which doesn't let you use skype to call any irish numbers but you can use it to call internationally/online and chat.

Also for Nokia's you can download and use Skype's S60 client which works just fine for everything over wifi + 3G but will not be included in your "free skype" so you will be charged for 3G data use.

Hope that helps. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Hey guys, have you ever tried FRING ?

I used to use it before I went to 3 on my N95.

It worked great.

I could be logged in to Skype, MSN Messenger, GoogleTalk, AIM, ICQ, Facebook & Twitter all at the same time!!!!!!

You can message all day for little or nothing, a call on skype would normally be about 100-150kb per minute.

I'd seriously recommend considering O2 or Vodafone before committing to 3. It may look like a good deal but in the last 12 months I've had terrible service, reception, hours & sometimes a day without being able to make or take a call or text.

If I'm travelling anywhere in the car I hardly hold a call for more than a few minutes without being cut off, even though the signal strength is high to full.

I would only stick with them if you travel a lot to Italy or Austria & any other countries with a 3 network as you're not roaming if you log on to that countries 3 network. Great & saves a fortune... even video calls back to 3 customers in Ireland from other 3 countries just come off your minutes.

That novelty wore off pretty quick when the service deteriorated over the last year.

Anyway, do your homework before jumping in.

Just my tupence worth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

babypink wrote: »
    FWIW - i use skype perfectly on my N900 on 3!

now, thats using the builtin skype client to stay logged into my skype account. I can place and receive skype calls perfectly. Granted I dont have a skype dialin number, but i suspect that were I to buy one it would work perfectly well -- while im logged into skype it'd ring and while im off skype i'd have it set to auto-divert to my cell number.

As for logging straight into skype from your handset Im of the belief that its your handset that matters.....specifically, its skype client. The skype clients on 3-subsidised handsets are crippled clients that place calls over the voice circuit rather than via the IP connection. This is how 3 can control it!

skype dialin does not work its blocked only skype usernames work

nutterguy wrote: »
    Three Ireland have their own skype client which doesn't let you use skype to call any irish numbers but you can use it to call internationally/online and chat.

Also for Nokia's you can download and use Skype's S60 client which works just fine for everything over wifi + 3G but will not be included in your "free skype" so you will be charged for 3G data use.

Hope that helps. :)

Oh well, that's sealed it for me then. Not joining 3, back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You could just use Fring and buy an internet package. I use Fring on my 3 mobile :)

You could get the best of both at 15euro and add on 10 euro for the internet package.

I just got locked into a 12 month contract but once Im out that's what I'll be doing.

You could just use Fring and buy an internet package. I use Fring on my 3 mobile :)

You could get the best of both at 15euro and add on 10 euro for the internet package.

I just got locked into a 12 month contract but once Im out that's what I'll be doing.

Cheers for that. I'm currently on vodafone PAYG. I loaded fring on to my Nokia E51 and it seems to work well on wifi, need to test it out on vodafone datastream yet though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement