Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bluemoon99

hi

just wondering if anyone can help..looking to go to dubai to teach with sabis, but only have a tefl cert...found a job posting on the telf website(wasn't looking for qualified teacher just a degree) went to upload my cv and the job has now been taken off, however the deadline wasn't untill the 28th! can anyone give me any details on how to apply??
    thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cogar

If I were you I wouldn't bother applying unless you're desperate job...terrible working conditions and pay (which can be late) average at best...don't expect any perks with this job...about applying I wouldn't woory about being late - they'll literally hire anyone with a degree!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 seanfada

Hi Bluemoon,

Unfortunately you do need to have a degree as a minimum. Anyhow I do know that it would probably be too late this year as demand his very high (it is a very attractive package). Recruiting starts in August for the following year, usually. Best of luck:):)

Perhaps Seanfada you might be best advised to check your own spelling before commenting on another individual's spelling and grammatical abilities since my below message was written in haste. By the way it would also be wise to note 'atrocius' is actually spelled 'atrocious'. As well as that, I was merely pointing out personal experiences (having worked with SABIS) and have found that whilst yes, the package does indeed appear to be quite attractive the venture should not be considered lightly. My experiences were excellent in one regards (amazing opportunity to travel etc) but I would be lying if I said the job was good. Late with pay, ridiculous expectations re. correcting examinations (which happen every three weeks by the way), and the non-recognition of genuine illnesses albeit it slow learning, ADHD etc. The list goes on. Perhaps this was only in the school in which I worked, but I doubt it. Staff are simply not treated as staff should be. All that said though I must say that apart from this I really enjoyed my experiences over there, met many new friends etc so I'll leave the decision up to you bluemoon99! Best of luck!

www.sabisspeaks.wordpress.com

Utter propaganda.

• Advertisement

http://www.sabisspeaks.wordpress.com

Just a website ye might want to be aware of. Take from its existence what ye will; I have no personal experience to corroborate its accuracy.

Why is a positive site propaganda and a negative one true?

I am just curious about the logic becuase in my personal experience of being Irish and 15 years working with SABIS I found the likes of http://www.sabisspeaks.wordpress.com to be generally truthful and representative whilst negative posts generally the opposite witten by the odd person (out of hundreds who had a brilliant experience) who had a bad experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

seanfada wrote: »
    (PS beware of advice from others on this forum especially when they haven't read your post properly, cannot spell and have atrocious grammar):pac:
    Cogar wrote: »
    Perhaps Seanfada you might be best advised to check your own spelling before commenting on another individual's spelling and grammatical abilities since my below message was written in haste. By the way it would also be wise to note 'atrocius' is actually spelled 'atrocious'.

Commenting on the spelling and grammar of other posters is against that charter. Please read the charter before posting again.

Thank you and noted, post edited accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

seanfada wrote: »
    Yes there are many bad things on the net about them but the funny thing is that most of their staff are Irish and none of the things are written by Irish. Some poeple from other nationalities with an axe to grind about SABIS started a smear campaign a few years ago .

I would say 99% of those who go have a great experience but unfortunately they dont write about it whilst a tiny few have had bad experiences and have shared this on the net.

Here is another point of view from someone who has worked in Choueifat.
    I ll be honest and give the good and the bad points. I think I have a fairly unbiased view of the schools as someone who worked there.

Good points
    First of all don t panic
    Most people go on the net to moan and you don t hear the good experience which is why I decided to post the "truth" on a few websites as I know what is was like when I first went out there. I was petrified and I needn't have been. So don t listen to the big warnings on the forum about Choueifat. Alot people just go on the internet to have a bit of a moan. You never hear the positive stories.

Salary If you are outside Dubai and Abu Dhabi a choueifat salary will go quite far there.

Salaries are always paid on time

I did the unqualified thing with Choueifat and it was fine but I would find it way too restrictive now! But its something to slap on the CV

Its an amazing opportunity to experience a different culture and country (in a sheltered environment)

The staff in the school were grand (to me). Its a bit chaotic at times but you would get used to it!

You pretty much finish at 3 and marking aside you don t really work out of hours. Which is nice. Believe me it doesn t happen in other schools (especially British ones).

Bad points

Everything take ages to do so don t be alarmed if you don t get emails back immediately.

You could be broke there on a Choueifat salary in Dubai unless you are fairly sensible!

The school is very old style and quite restrictive towards the pupils (not teachers). Its very much drill and kill, learning by heart and text books. Its not the modern approach of interactive whiteboard and learning through play...etc.

The downside (as a teacher) is you have virtually no input into the lessons (with the exception of art). It can be rather dull and uninteresting to teach (and the poor kids can be bored out of their skulls sometimes). Then again the school does what it says on the tin and the are quite clear about that on the contract.

If you are qualified you will find it a bit mad and I wouldn t advise you to go for it as there are better salaries and conditions elsewhere, if you are not and you just want a bit of experience go for it!

Thats what I did and I ended up qualifying as a teacher and gaining UK experience and now I ve been offered a fantastic salary at a really good private British school in Oman. So the Choueifat experience did me no harm as a teacher:)

Any questions about Choueifat or the UAE please PM me. I do remember what it was like even though its nearly 4 years ago!
    I hope this is helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK606YQWtls

I watched this video and the guy says it is 1500 starting salary for a new graduate which isnt great but with no experience cant really expect much. Like the idea of it being safe as houses aswell. Id be going there for a year with the intention of saving 5 to 10 grand but Dubai looks expensive for living costs even leaving aside bills and rent. How realistic is that?

I'm also wondering just how restrictive it is. I've been told that men and women cant stay/ sleep in the same house without being related/ married? Ive got a female friend over in Abu Dhabi and Id want to go and stay with her for a day or two aswell in my time off. Is that even allowed? Your hear contrasting stories, you hear other stories of people drinking more over there than they ever would here in Ireland. When you see people there on Facebook etc half of the pics are in pubs! I'm not going there with the intention of living the party lifestyle, but I don't want to be living like a monk constantly in fear of breaking some law or other either. I do want the odd drink here and there!

Also, When is it decided where you are placed? I applied for a place in UAE and have been told to send documents etc but all the emails are coming from HR from a place called Sharjah in the UAE, so can I assume I would be placed there if I got the job or is that just a headquarters? I dont really want to stray beyond Qatar or UAE, reckon that might be a culture shock too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

[QUOTE=The downside (as a teacher) is you have virtually no input into the lessons (with the exception of art). It can be rather dull and uninteresting to teach (and the poor kids can be bored out of their skulls sometimes). Then again the school does what it says on the tin and the are quite clear about that on the contract.[/QUOTE]

I can't agree more with this....I worked in Al Ain before I qualified here and had my suspicions about the style of teaching and learning, and was frustrated with the lack of teacher input into lessons, but understood that without this rigid structure it wouldn't be feasible for them to hire unqualified people.

It's now six years later and I couldn't possibly go back to teach there after getting used to the responsibility and creative freedom that teachers have here in Ireland.

Main point: Choueifat is good for beginners who want to gain experience in teaching that they can build on back home!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BJ Girl

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the feedback, comments are very useful!

So I've had the phone interview and I think I will take a position as I'd love some experience. I've emailed my degree certificate and garda clearance etc..They now want my degree translated into English...does anyone know how I would go about doing this? Do I contact the college?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

BJ Girl wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the feedback, comments are very useful!

So I've had the phone interview and I think I will take a position as I'd love some experience. I've emailed my degree certificate and garda clearance etc..They now want my degree translated into English...does anyone know how I would go about doing this? Do I contact the college?
    Thanks!

Contact the NUI in Dublin, they'll translate it for you and authenticate it for €80 or thereabouts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 addisonspencer

Hello! I've got my phone interview...in about 2 hours actually, but not counting that could anyone give anymore advice than what's been posted? I'm American, so some of what's been said I don't know what in the world it is, or may not apply to me, so just in general- like about housing, getting to/from work (I've been to Dubai, and I have no desire whatsoever to drive in that traffic!!)

Anything really will help! Please nothing negative- I've seen all the the negative stuff....

Thanks!!
    Addison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TOUCHINGWOOD

I too am applying for a teaching position abroad and am hoping for either abu dhabi or Dubai. A friend of mine is currently in Abu Dhabi and loves it. She is finding it cheap and is not there to save. she travels a lot and goes to lots of concerts, etc. I'm hoping for a similar experience. I think they rent cars. She is roughly an hour away from Dubai and about 20mins outside of Abu Dhabi. Transport is cheap. Hope this is helpful , best of luck with interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

I too am applying for a teaching position abroad and am hoping for either abu dhabi or Dubai. A friend of mine is currently in Abu Dhabi and loves it. She is finding it cheap and is not there to save. she travels a lot and goes to lots of concerts, etc. I'm hoping for a similar experience. I think they rent cars. She is roughly an hour away from Dubai and about 20mins outside of Abu Dhabi. Transport is cheap. Hope this is helpful , best of luck with interview!

Transport is cheap(ish) in Abu Dhabi, not so much Dubai it is quite expensive. It could be an issue and cost does build up. Dubai is expensive make no mistake about it!
    Though one nice Choueifat perk I forgot about was that they allowed a group to use the school bus and driver for weekend trips (not sure if thats the case in all Choueifat schools though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dtoomey

Hi, I sent off a completed application, photo and video cv to Sabis last week and have heard nothing back. I understand that there are interviews happenng in April so since I havent heard anything or done a phone interview am I not in the running? How long does it take for them to reply to applicants?
    I had been teaching in Libya since Sept until a few weeks afo so am used to Islamic culture. I have a degree and masters but not a HDip.
    I'm just hoping to at least get an interview.

Hiya,
    As far as I can make out they seem to take applications at any stage and seem to take people on even without the face to face interview so I wouldn't say you're ruled out at all. I applied in January, had my phone interview soon after I submitted the application and got word at the weekend I have a face to face interview tomorrow. (I don't have much teaching experience and no HDip either!)

Thanks, I got an e-mail today to tell me I have a phone interview in two weeks time, so that's good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

dtoomey wrote: »
    Hi, I sent off a completed application, photo and video cv to Sabis last week and have heard nothing back. I understand that there are interviews happenng in April so since I havent heard anything or done a phone interview am I not in the running? How long does it take for them to reply to applicants?
    I had been teaching in Libya since Sept until a few weeks afo so am used to Islamic culture. I have a degree and masters but not a HDip.
    I'm just hoping to at least get an interview.

Hi does the job itself start in August 2011?

Hi Kohl
    I have no idea when the job is for or even if there is a specific vacancy, I just sent a general application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Missy L

Hi Guys

I applied to Sabis in Jan and had my phone interview around Feb time. After that I submitted copies of my degree, passport, crb and Photo. However I have not done the cv video, just apprehensive about that and have been putting it off! I emailed asking when the face to face interviews are in London because when I had my phone interview I was told I am through to the last stage of face to face interviews in April. Its now coming to May and I have not heard anything...Im really worried that they may not want to take me further although I did email them end of March asking about the dates and they said they are still to be confirmed and kindly note we are still interested in you! Just not heard anything yet :(

Hi Missy L, I got called for face to face interview in Dublin for next week but I have decided to go back to college instead. I think they are on from May 4-7th, they e-mailed me on Monday or Tuesday to tell me and then they also phoned me so you should contact them ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alimai

Hey,

I have an interview for Sabis next week, just wondering if anyone else with an interview or contract has concerns about the political unrest in the middle east atm, finding it very difficult to get up to date information on the situation at local level.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

alimai wrote: »
    Hey,

I have an interview for Sabis next week, just wondering if anyone else with an interview or contract has concerns about the political unrest in the middle east atm, finding it very difficult to get up to date information on the situation at local level.

Thanks!

Here's the Dept. of Foreign affairs website that deals with foreign travel. They give security information for each country in the world based on current situations.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=389

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alimai

Ah thank you, cant believe I didn't think of this! Also found that the amnesty website is good for giving a more detailed description of whats going on in each country.

Also, was wondering if anyone else has been asked to sign a contract allowing the school to hold onto their passport for the duration of the school year, and how they feel about it/how it's worked out for people in past years. Very aprehensive about putting my signature to an agreement like that and would appreciate other peoples experiences!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yellowduck

hi guys,
    i applied to sabis in december and received a phone interview in early march and made it through to the face to face interviews. i sent in all of the required documents, including a video cv. i have yet to hear from them. i was told the interviews were to be held in april in the usa. i got so anxious that i finally called them a couple weeks ago. they looked up my name and said the end of april or may, but were not very detailed. my question is, is this normal for them to take so long? and has anyone in the united states heard anything about when the face to face interviews will be held and where? thank you in advance for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭antz182

hey all, my face-to-face interview for today was cancelled last minute, but I had a telephone interview, after which I was offered a role teaching primary kinds in Qatar...not sure if I should go though, it's really close to Bahrain, and some of the stuff I found on wikipedia is a bit disturbing...such as not being able to leave without your employers consent... :( anyone else get an offer?

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd love to know how others got on with the passport situation. I presume for people going home for Christmas they give it back and other holidays as well...I wouldn't be handing mine over too quickly, although they do need it for visas as they organise that I think... Be great to hear how others got on...

Advertisement