Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 craftynici

Pixie250 wrote: »
    I'll be in ur boat too so, going alone. I think the first few wks will be the hardest trying to settle in, get a routine etc. hopefully this time next year we'll be the ones saying dont be worrying about going alone! :) I think either Abu Dhabi or Dubai. I've thought about other place but haven't really looked into anywhere (don't want to count my chickens!!)
    I don't no what the story with the interviews are now this late in the year. I suppose the Skype interview might be easier but the face to face would be nice to to get to meet others heading over too!! Scared.com :)

Just the thought of headin out there on your ownis extremely daunting but hopefully there'll be other ppl at the airport in the same position :) Alot of ppl ask for Dubai, its supposed to be an amazing city!

Just look into some areas that might interest you cause they might ask you during the phone interview just in case...... You can never be too prepared :D Once I get over there and meet who I'm sharing the apartment with, hopefully the nerves will subside and the excitement will set in:D

Only a few weeks left...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pixie250

craftynici wrote: »
    Just the thought of headin out there on your ownis extremely daunting but hopefully there'll be other ppl at the airport in the same position :) Alot of ppl ask for Dubai, its supposed to be an amazing city!

Just look into some areas that might interest you cause they might ask you during the phone interview just in case...... You can never be too prepared :D Once I get over there and meet who I'm sharing the apartment with, hopefully the nerves will subside and the excitement will set in:D

Only a few weeks left...

Yeah Dubai is supposed to be fantastic. I think they send a good few on the same flight so u'll ave meet a few on route too :D oh that will nice to ave an apartment. Do u no if its mostly apartments for acc or is it pot luck than gettin to live on campus.
    I was reading the post last wk when everyone got offered their schools etc and then I felt like I didn't get it even thou I hadn't sent my whole app at that stage and I was feeling really dissappointed!!
    U'll be fine I've been to Africa and America a few times on solo trips for a
    Few months getting there is the most daunting part and wondering what to expect!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Niamh91

Just got my email confirming that I'm going to Muscat too. :)
    Heard it's a really nice place anyway, and have been told nothing but good things about it! Always a positive sign I suppose :)

Heya, i am heading to Muscat as well have one friend from college going with me but apart from that don't know many going do you? Looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sarah1302

craftynici wrote: »
    Hey ladies. No doubt they will contact you asap regarding the phone interview. Just a heads up about the phone interview....have a copy of your application form with you as they tend to ask questions on this. Questions like "How do you deal with bold students?, What attributes you can bring to the organisation?", and general questions about how you deal with kids!!

Don't be stressing about the interview, its just a general chit chat :)

Hey girls, Nici hopefully we'll get that call . Will they give notice for the telephone interview?! I just have an awful feeling it's a bit late but I know a few girls that got their job offer in June last year! Would be an amazing opportunity .. would be going solo as well but a lot of people do this and anyway if we were to get the job we could facebook friend eachother or something! Really hope I can pull this one off. Do both ye girls have experience in teaching?

sarah1302 wrote: »
    Hey girls, Nici hopefully we'll get that call . Will they give notice for the telephone interview?! I just have an awful feeling it's a bit late but I know a few girls that got their job offer in June last year! Would be an amazing opportunity .. would be going solo as well but a lot of people do this and anyway if we were to get the job we could facebook friend eachother or something! Really hope I can pull this one off. Do both ye girls have experience in teaching?

Hey Sarah, one girl i no didn't go until the end of aug or early sept last she applied later in the year think it could ave been July. I remember her telling me the worst part was bein on the long flight alone. But once she got there everything was grand. And another girl Literally applied, did her interview and was gone the following wk but that was during the school the year before. She was just back from oz and wasn't working so suppose she was able to just leave. She also said the journey was hard alone etc but her sister is there too so she was fine once she landed.
    I don't ave teaching experience, have either of ye? :)
    Don't be worrying u will be grand, fingers crossed we'll all be heading off together in a few wks.

• Advertisement

From what I can remember, I got a few days notice. They call or email you regarding what times suits you best for the interview. Its definitely not too late, the school year in UAE is not over yet and not all of those teachers might be staying for the following school year so don't worry!!

Also people who had the face to face interviews this year, not all of those people signed the contracts and therefore they need additional people at the moment.

I have no experience teaching children but thankfully that wasn't a problem. Even if you don't have experience with teaching children, this won't hinder you :P

Best of luck and keep us updated:D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

How many referees did everyone provide. I thought you only needed to provide 3

How many referees did everyone provide. I thought you only needed to provide 3

Hey! I only provided three with my application but SABIS made contact with me saying that I needed to provide another referee as they couldn't get in contact with one of the referees which I provided....

Hopefully this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I only provided 2 and that was grand. Make sure your referees know they're going to be contacted, SABIS will send them on a form and if they don't reply within a few days, SABIS will ask you to provide alternative referees.

I provided 3 and they were contacted before my telephone interview just after i sent the application form. 2 is probably fine though. Best of luck with the application!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sarah1302

If you get SABIS can't 2 people come with you on the flight?! Thought I read that in the job post on gradireland!!

If you get SABIS can't 2 people come with you on the flight?! Thought I read that in the job post on gradireland!!

I'm not too sure if its one or two ppl who are allowed to travel with an employee. During the phone interview, the HR at SABIS usually asks if anyone will be accompanying you to your destination... If they didn't, you could always email Sabis or even Sean Cooney himself as he will definitely be able to help you with that query!! His email is scooney@sabis.net.

Hope this helps

Hi Sarah, just wondering what do u mean? Is it that some one could with u that wont be staying or whatever and then get their own flight bk??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dawn13

Ras al khaimah is about 50mins on a bus from dubai. I was there a few times. Its like a mini city it has everything ull need. A lot of people that live there go to dubai every weekend as d night life isnt great there.. if there is a few goin, ye cud get a cab n its only 40e between ye. Accom is basic, 1 bed apartment mostly so u won't have to share which is a bonus.

Best if luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lightningjack

Hi there, Im just after finishing my B.Eng degree in engineering and was wondering about the possibility of teaching possibly in the middle east maybe Dubai I hear its really nice there. Do I need to do the TEFL course? Can i teach maths/english with/without the TEFL? Wat r which company do i need to go through to teach english/ maths in dubai?

Hi there, Im just after finishing my B.Eng degree in engineering and was wondering about the possibility of teaching possibly in the middle east maybe Dubai I hear its really nice there. Do I need to do the TEFL course? Can i teach maths/english with/without the TEFL? Wat r which company do i need to go through to teach english/ maths in dubai?

Hey! If you are interested in teaching abroad in regions such as Dubai, you should definitely look at SABIS. This can be seen in the website www.sabis.com. Alot of graduates apply to this company as teaching experience is not required but is an advantage. Saying that, I applied early last year and my background is Science and I have been offered a position without having TEFL and teaching experience.

If you are really interested in teaching abroad for a bit you should consider applying now...as they might need teachers in the near future.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clenny84

I'm also heading to Muscat in the new term. What have you heard so far? Have you been told what you're teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 theluckyirish

Clenny84 wrote: »
    I'm also heading to Muscat in the new term. What have you heard so far? Have you been told what you're teaching?

Hiya,

I've only been told that the location I'm going to which is Muscat :D and that is it. I haven't been told anything about flights or accommodation but it is still early days for that I suppose.

I haven't been told what I will be teaching yet, or for what grade, but I do expect that they will be in touch with us soon. :).

Clenny84 wrote: »

Heya, I am heading to Muscat as well and havent had any contact from SABIS yet. i think it will be another few weeks before they tell us about housing etc. As far as I know we get our flight details in June or early July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ahahah

I think ppl need to be careful about going to teach with no teaching qualification. Im in the process of applying for jobs in the middle east and have 4yrs experience. I would hope that I would be considered over sb with just a degree and who is not actually a teacher. Maybe Im wrong and they do employ non teachers to teach. If I am I stand corrected.

• Advertisement

ahahah wrote: »
    I think ppl need to be careful about going to teach with no teaching qualification. Im in the process of applying for jobs in the middle east and have 4yrs experience. I would hope that I would be considered over sb with just a degree and who is not actually a teacher. Maybe Im wrong and they do employ non teachers to teach. If I am I stand corrected.

Yes there is no specific qualification needed for the company we are all going to as they give us two weeks training and follow their own unique curriculum. As it says in their handbook, we are just carrying out their executed plan and implementing their rules/teaching methods. I am in contact with several people who are currently working for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clenny84

I discovered this about the area the school is in. I thought it would interest those going to Muscat, Oman (like me).

Both Al Hail and Seeb are located quite far from the Muscat city center and are mainly residential areas with large villas and gardens. The cost of living is low here as it is so far from the city and travelling to and from work could be time consuming, unless your job is at the airport. Rents go from as low as RO500-RO1500 for a villa. Having said that, Al Hail is also home to one of the most expensive residences in Muscat, namely The Wave development, so there is a bit of both ends of the property spectrum.

The International School of Choueifat is located in Seeb and is easily accessed from Al Hail. It specializes in the operation of Pre-K and K-12 schools.

Al Hail is also very close to the Seeb area and only minutes away from Muscat City Center and Markaz Al Bahja Center which are two of the biggest shopping malls in Muscat. The Seeb area is a little way further from the city center then Al Hail. You will find the Seeb Souk and a few Garden centers conveniently located in Seeb.

Just to let everyone that is going to work with SABIS this year, a facebook page has been set up to let people chat and get to know each other. if anyone would like to join it no matter which city you are going to in the UAE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bilsdale01

Hi I've been offered a contract for Ruwais City, I'm a bit apprehensive due to the location. I'm graduating this summer, can you tell me anything about your experience in Ruwais, would you recommend it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bilsdale01

Niamh91 wrote: »
    Just to let everyone that is going to work with SABIS this year, a facebook page has been set up to let people chat and get to know each other. if anyone would like to join it no matter which city you are going to in the UAE :)

Do you have a link to the facebook page? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 salster13

:cool:
    Niamh91 wrote: »

I've just joined it, think it's the right one! defo a good idea as i'd like to get to know some people before I head over on my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭mcgettigan16

Bilsdale01 wrote: »
    Hi I've been offered a contract for Ruwais City, I'm a bit apprehensive due to the location. I'm graduating this summer, can you tell me anything about your experience in Ruwais, would you recommend it? Thanks

Me and my girlfriend are going to Ruwais. Add me on Facebook Mark McGettigan and I can give ya as much info as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 3 raybooysen

Hi all

I'm from South Africa and my wife and I have both applied to go over with Sabis. So far we've both just had our second interviews this week..anyone know the time frame from the second interview to hearing about jobs?

Bilsdale01 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the facebook page? Thanks

Hey! The name of the group is Sabis 2013 on facebook :)

• Advertisement

raybooysen wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm from South Africa and my wife and I have both applied to go over with Sabis. So far we've both just had our second interviews this week..anyone know the time frame from the second interview to hearing about jobs?

Hia, by second interview do you mean face to face interview? At the end of the face to face interview they told me I had the job and I signed the contract there (you could take 24 hours to think about it). If you dont hear from then within the next week or 2 maybe send them an email.

Advertisement