Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nolio

Wow that's awesome! Am I right in thinking that we can't take work anywhere else in June/July/August? And do you know if we get taxed on that when we get back to the UK/Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 craftynici

Nolio wrote: »
    Wow that's awesome! Am I right in thinking that we can't take work anywhere else in June/July/August? And do you know if we get taxed on that when we get back to the UK/Ireland?

Good is right :) Don't think we are allowed to work anywhere else in the UAE but I'm pretty sure we can work in our own countries for those three months. There shouldn't be any tax on those three month salaries as they will still be paid in dirhams I think....

So anything that is paid in dirhams can't be taxed even when we get back to the UK?

Nolio wrote: »
    So anything that is paid in dirhams can't be taxed even when we get back to the UK?

That is my understanding from what they said to me. When we move over there and our work visas are finalised, I think we have to set up bank accounts etc so the money will be sent directly to that one. When we return to our countries, the money we have from UAE cannot be taxed as we are getting paid by another country and therefore our countries tax system cannot touch it....

Thank you - you're so helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Is there a reason i cannot register online with Sabis, it keeps redirecting me back to the home page when i aim to register. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 valencia89

Quick question, is it a police certificate or a garda clearance thats needed? Thanks.

valencia89 wrote: »
    Quick question, is it a police certificate or a garda clearance thats needed? Thanks.

Hey Valencia89,

What I got was a police certificate for SABIS and they were happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

I got send this yday

Greetings from the SABIS® School Network.

We are currently looking to recruit English teachers for our schools in Adma - Lebanon (Few Kilometers to the North of Beirut City) and Riyadh City – Saudi Arabia. The positions commence at the start of the next academic year, 2013-2014, and offer competitive tax free salaries with benefits.

Are these areas safe? I want to do the interviews for experience as I'd love to go in a years time after I qualify. Any advice?

Any jobs still going for UAE in August does anyone know?! Would love to go

• Advertisement

Any jobs still going for UAE in August does anyone know?! Would love to go

Not too sure if there are jobs still going. You should check their website, www.sabis.net. I do know that there are jobs going in Saudi Arabia if that helps.....

Thanks mainly looking for UAE would take any job as i know a good few going over from UL and won't mind so myself! I have emailed HR so here's hoping something pops up in UAE.

Thanks mainly looking for UAE would take any job as i know a good few going over from UL and won't mind so myself! I have emailed HR so here's hoping something pops up in UAE.

Well I think there could still be jobs going in Al Ain which is in the UAE. If you've already contacted HR about this, no doubt they will get back to you if they have something :)

Hey guys got my degree translated into English....can someone please explain to me what what we have to do with it now...is it the department of foreign affairs I have to go to?

Hey guys got my degree translated into English....can someone please explain to me what what we have to do with it now...is it the department of foreign affairs I have to go to?

Hi valencia89,

So your degree has been translated. Now what you have to do is to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Joint Arab-Irish Chamber of Commerce in Dublin to get your degree authenticated for SABIS.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs can stamp your degree on the same day but the Joint Arab Irish Chamber has to send your degree away to get it authenticated and that will take a few days to be processed.

There is a cost to these authentications... the Minsitry of Foreign Affairs costs €40 per document and the Joint Arab-Irish Commerce costs €76 for their stamp per document and and additional €5 for swift post if you want your documents done asap (this is advised!).

However, the Joint Irish-Arab Commerce can get the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stamp for you if you didn't want to be going to both places...this is an additional €20 on top of the cost of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (totallying €60) as well as the cost of the Joint Arab-Irish commerce.

Once they send your degree off, you should get it back within 10 working days and then you just scan your degree and send it to the person whom is in contact with you from your allocated school, well, thats what I did anyways. Different schools might have different policies...

Hope this is easy to understand. If you have any other queries, don't be afraid to ask :)

Thanks so much, it can be confusing alright!!!!

Is it possible for me to post it to arab-irish chamber and let them do everything, or do I have to make the trip to Dublin?

Thanks so much, it can be confusing alright!!!!

Is it possible for me to post it to arab-irish chamber and let them do everything, or do I have to make the trip to Dublin?

You can post it to the arab-irish chamber if you wanted. Just give them a call and they will tell you what to post and they will tell you how long it will take.

Once you know how long it will take, I would recommend you email the person that is in contact with you from your allocated school and tell them so they won't be emailing you constantly asking for the required documents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jansperson

Oman is beautiful country with nice and friendly people.Don't worry you'll like it there!

I have a phone interview in the coming days! Any advice would be a huge help :)

I have a phone interview in the coming days! Any advice would be a huge help :)

Hey, did they send you out an application form to fill out before our phone interview? Usually the questions asked during the phone interview are those that were provided in the application form...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Jansperson

Guys,If you are negotiating the contracts and not sure about cost of living in UAE/Oman,please PM me,I may help.

craftynici wrote: »
    Hey, did they send you out an application form to fill out before our phone interview? Usually the questions asked during the phone interview are those that were provided in the application form...

Well i applied via HR and was rejected as i left it too late, then i emailed Sean who came to our University and i got an email back saying ive a phone interview.I also gave him my C.V. and he might have a copy of the application i sent HR, so not really sure what its being based on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sarah1302

Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone could give me some advice! Stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment! applied for SABIS about 2 months ago when had no commitments and put my heart &soul into the application ha.... since then I got very lucky & got a job @home in my degree (marketing) and alls going well altho Im still on work trial! just got my phone interview though in 2 weeks time! havnt done much travelling and only 22... would I be mad not to interview???

Go for it and keep your options open i would recommend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sarah1302

Go for it and keep your options open i would recommend :)

Thanks, that's the plan so far anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lrk89

Hey guys!

Quick question, I've have had my two phone interviews and they said they now want to meet with me for a face-to-face interview. That was a week ago. I haven't heard anything since and I am getting worried. Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice would be great.

Lrk89 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Quick question, I've have had my two phone interviews and they said they now want to meet with me for a face-to-face interview. That was a week ago. I haven't heard anything since and I am getting worried. Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice would be great.

Hey Lrk89, I wouldn't worry too much about that. It might take them a few weeks to get in contact with you about the face to face interview (that is what happened in my case). I'm sure they will be in contact with you in the nxt 2 weeks or so as I believe that they want people to be travelling over to the UAE in the beginning of August...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lrk89

Thank you so much for your reply! I am actually currently living in Abu Dhabi, and as Ramadan fast approaches and the whole of the UAE shuts down I'm just a little worried. Can I ask you how the face to face interview works? Any tips would be fantastic :)

Thank you again for your reply :)

Lrk89 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your reply! I am actually currently living in Abu Dhabi, and as Ramadan fast approaches and the whole of the UAE shuts down I'm just a little worried. Can I ask you how the face to face interview works? Any tips would be fantastic :)

Thank you again for your reply :)

To be honest the face to face interview really didn't feel like an interview. It was a general chat about the UAE and what to expect from the move over to the UAE. I was asked a few "HR" questions such as
    • what is it I bring to the SABIS family
    • how will I adapt to the culture change from Ireland to UAE.
    Then I was asked to choose 3 places in UAE where I would like to teach and one of those places is where I would be placed for the school year.

No need to worry about the interview, it was very casual.

The very best of luck with your interview :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kelly989

Hello everyone, I recently got a job offer from SABIS to work as a teacher in Abu Dhabi!! I have decided to take it but they are asking for my transcripts from school. I recently received my degree from my university but my grade point average isn't very impressing, so my problem is they are asking for my transcripts and I'm afraid they'll see my grades and take back my offer. Does anyone have thoughts on if they might do this? or if I could just not send them in and send in just my degree instead? Please help! I don't want to lose this offer. :(

Advertisement