Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭antz182

BJ Girl wrote: »
    Yeah I'd love to know how others got on with the passport situation. I presume for people going home for Christmas they give it back and other holidays as well...I wouldn't be handing mine over too quickly, although they do need it for visas as they organise that I think... Be great to hear how others got on...

I would imagine they give it back as you said to those going home or whatever...i'd still be worried though in case something happened in the country and you wanted out in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I can't believe they keep your passport! I can undertand them taking a photocopy for ID and employment reasons but keeping it the whole time! Is that to stop you running away from the job? It doesn't sound legal to me. When a the Irish government issues you a passport it is your document and should remain in your possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I went for a job in Dubai, not sure if its the same crowd, but as part of the application form I had to list the people who's funeral I would attend should they pass away while I was there.

I stopped my application at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alimai

I did some research and it is illegal both in Irish and UAE law, but unfortunately while in law, a contract containing an illegal clause is void (or voidable...), the question of the law being enforced is a different matter entirely and apparently the UAE judicial system just doesnt take the matter very seriously at all.

....very reminiscent of bonded labour and human trafficing but apparently commonplace over there.

Anyway, if anyone handed over their passports in previous years, particularly while working for Sabis, let us know how u got on!

Is it actually in the contract though? I couldn't see anything about keeping possession of the passport on a constant basis, but maybe I'm overlooking something...

• Advertisement

You have to read between the lines, it's not explicitly explained, I don't want to put the exact wording on here but just re-read it keeping ur eye out for any mention of passports, you have to ask yourself why that would be something you needed to sign your name to....I don't want to be stirring things up, it doesn't mean they wont give it back, it just means that technically they're in a position to not give it back or to be awkward about it if they so choose....

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

From my experience with Sabis, it took an age for them to get all of my permits ready. It took so long that my initial 60 day tourist visa ran out and they had to give me my passport back so they could bring me on a little bus trip across the border to Oman so that I could get re-stamped as a tourist and give it right back to them again!! However, once they got the work visa sorted, they gave it back to me and a group of other Irish teachers.

It made me think that they insert this clause into the contracts to cover themselves for how long-winded the application processes can be...............(and to stop you from leaving of course:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pink111

Can anyone confirm what the rate of pay is for a teaching position with sabis in the UAE? I have heard 1500, but I also read somewhere 12000AED per month which is 2200 euro converted. Thanks in advance.

gwjones42 wrote: »
    From my experience with Sabis, it took an age for them to get all of my permits ready. It took so long that my initial 60 day tourist visa ran out and they had to give me my passport back so they could bring me on a little bus trip across the border to Oman so that I could get re-stamped as a tourist and give it right back to them again!! However, once they got the work visa sorted, they gave it back to me and a group of other Irish teachers.

It made me think that they insert this clause into the contracts to cover themselves for how long-winded the application processes can be...............(and to stop you from leaving of course:D)
    well that's eased the fears a bit, not much though....

antz182 wrote: »
    well that's eased the fears a bit, not much though....

It's right for you to be aware of things that make you feel uneasy in the lead-up to something as big as what you're about to do. I felt the exact same when I was going 5 years ago, but was much relieved to see how unfounded my fears were when I arrived and got used to the place.

At times, Choueifat can be stubbornly stuck to their own rules which seem awkward, but they always treated me and my friends well. If the fantastic year I spent with them and the positive experiences of anybody else I've spoken to are anything to go by, then you should be alright.

Eased the fears any more?

• Advertisement

just seen this website: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1003.html#safety
    the most interesting part of it is this: In the past, employers routinely held the passports of employees during their stay in Qatar. A new law passed in 2009 formally forbade this practice, and all employers are prohibited from holding employees’ passports, except for visa and immigration processing.
    Thus they cannot hold your passport indefinatly

It's right for you to be aware of things that make you feel uneasy in the lead-up to something as big as what you're about to do. I felt the exact same when I was going 5 years ago, but was much relieved to see how unfounded my fears were when I arrived and got used to the place.

At times, Choueifat can be stubbornly stuck to their own rules which seem awkward, but they always treated me and my friends well. If the fantastic year I spent with them and the positive experiences of anybody else I've spoken to are anything to go by, then you should be alright.

Eased the fears any more?
    Definatly....Although I would like to hear what is it like on the ground there? (I got offered a job in Doha which I have to accept within 24 hours :( ) Are the schools strict? What is it like living in an Islamic culture?

(also apologies for the double post people)

I can't talk specifically for Doha as I was in Al Ain (UAE). I haven't heard that Qatar is any more or less strict than UAE though, so taking it that they're relatively similar, I'd say you should have no problems on the ground fitting in with the Islamic culture. You'll find all of the basic guidelines about behaviour in loads of websites (dress modestly, no public drinking or drunkeness).

A couple of eye-openers for me were.......
      How much less negative attention from taxi drivers/ hotel receptionists me and my girlfriend at the time got when she was wearing a "wedding ring".
      Making school art out of food is a no-no..a colleague made "popcorn sheep" only to get into big trouble for being disrespectful to food....(it has some religious significance apparently).
      Don't even think about eating or drinking in public during Ramadan....even a bottle of water on a hot day. It's okay to eat and drink for non-muslims, but choose somewhere out of the way to do it.
      The local bakeries make Lebanese style cakes that are oily, full of pistachio nuts, sugar and are amazing.....I want some now:pac:
      On the subject of food, you're school should have a canteen that you go to for lunch. you just have the money taken from your pay before you get it. It gets a bit dull after a while, but it introduced me to "Arabic Food" in an easy way.......tabouleh salad, fried aubergines, Houmous etc.... Again...I want it all now!
      Last thing for now.....there's loads of Ex-Pat things to do to get to know people. I joined the local expat rugby team and despite being destroyed on a weekly basis had a great time. I say take the job! You'll have a great time!!

I can't talk specifically for Doha as I was in Al Ain (UAE). I haven't heard that Qatar is any more or less strict than UAE though, so taking it that they're relatively similar, I'd say you should have no problems on the ground fitting in with the Islamic culture. You'll find all of the basic guidelines about behaviour in loads of websites (dress modestly, no public drinking or drunkeness).

A couple of eye-openers for me were.......
      How much less negative attention from taxi drivers/ hotel receptionists me and my girlfriend at the time got when she was wearing a "wedding ring".
      Making school art out of food is a no-no..a colleague made "popcorn sheep" only to get into big trouble for being disrespectful to food....(it has some religious significance apparently).
      Don't even think about eating or drinking in public during Ramadan....even a bottle of water on a hot day. It's okay to eat and drink for non-muslims, but choose somewhere out of the way to do it.
      The local bakeries make Lebanese style cakes that are oily, full of pistachio nuts, sugar and are amazing.....I want some now:pac:
      On the subject of food, you're school should have a canteen that you go to for lunch. you just have the money taken from your pay before you get it. It gets a bit dull after a while, but it introduced me to "Arabic Food" in an easy way.......tabouleh salad, fried aubergines, Houmous etc.... Again...I want it all now!
      Last thing for now.....there's loads of Ex-Pat things to do to get to know people. I joined the local expat rugby team and despite being destroyed on a weekly basis had a great time. I say take the job! You'll have a great time!!

Thanks so much, its so hard to find any info from real people that can be taken as actual fact. Although I have one more question, I only have the intention of going for 1 year, but I have heard stories where you are pressured into the 2nd year, did that happen to you?

Thanks so much, its so hard to find any info from real people that can be taken as actual fact. Although I have one more question, I only have the intention of going for 1 year, but I have heard stories where you are pressured into the 2nd year, did that happen to you?

Yeah it did a bit. Anybody who got on well during the year was asked to stay for another one at least because it takes so much effort on the school's part to go through the whole interview/ application/ training* period for each teacher.

I couldn't stay because I wanted to get into the Post-Grad Primary Teaching course here.............and I told them that, however they thought I was playing hard-ball for better pay/ accomodation etc... Funnily enough the improved package they offered me was in their brand new school in Kirkuk....Iraq :eek: My parents nearly had heart attacks when I told them I had accepted.........I told them the truth....eventually:D

I never felt "pressurised" though.....they were clear about what they would like, but you're doing nothing wrong to want to leave at the end of a one-year contract, so you can stand over your decision confidently when/ if the time comes.

*training........forgot to explain this.............Training was a two-day chat with my manager/ principal and was not great...putting it mildly! You really need to read up on the "Points System" thing they have for delivering lessons and all of the crazy assessment each week to get comfortable with it. If you've never taught before, be prepared to be confused. If you have taught, be prepared to be horrified at the old-school style of the lessons!

yea, I've never taught before, that's why I thought it might be a good way to get into it...the more I read the more I want to go, but I want to make sure...I wish I had more time, I have to accept it by 9am and I never had a face-to-face interview, there's so many questions I didnt get a chance to ask on the phone :(

Anyone had any good or bad experiences working either in doha or ruwais...

need to decide in the next 24 hours it's a tricky one

alimai wrote: »
    Anyone had any good or bad experiences working either in doha or ruwais...

need to decide in the next 24 hours it's a tricky one
    I also got offered Doha

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bloor

Hi guys, myself and a friend also got doha...we are definitely taking it...from the research we have done it seems to be an up and coming spot....weather is amazing and plenty to do....really looking forward to it....

bloor wrote: »
    Hi guys, myself and a friend also got doha...we are definitely taking it...from the research we have done it seems to be an up and coming spot....weather is amazing and plenty to do....really looking forward to it....
    Looks like there'll be a few of us headin so :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yellowduck

antz and bloor where are you guys from?? i'm in the usa and still haven't heard anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BJ Girl

Anyone have any experiences of Ruwais or get offered it???

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bloor

Im from Ireland...got offered doha last week...

I'm also from Ireland and was offered Doha last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I'm also from Ireland and was offered Doha last week.

Go - all of you. Qatar is lovely and Bahrain is lovely. I have lived there.
    Recent demonstrations are few and far between.

Dovies wrote: »
    Go - all of you. Qatar is lovely and Bahrain is lovely. I have lived there.
    Recent demonstrations are few and far between.
    I accepted the Doha job, can't wait to go, but trying to find out information/things to do is near impossible, I'm hoping to go to the motogp race at losail though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Waller07

Hi guys! I have a telephone interview with sabis a week Sunday. Im hoping to go and teach at the school in Doha......by the sounds of it, theve recruited quite a few of you already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Missy L

OK guys. Im really worried now. I had my phone interview in Feb time and was told Im through to the face to face interviews in London. However they have still not confirmed a date for them. I emailed them about a month ago and they said they havent decided the dates but kindly note they are still interested in my app. I emailed again last week to find out if the face to face interview dates in London have been confirmed but no one has replied to me. Does that mean they are not interested in me anymore?

Has anyone had the face to face interviews and what were they like? I really think if I get that opportunity I may mess up and I really want to get out there and teach :( I sent my first application form in December so have been waiting for a result for a long time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 inspiron 1

Hi,

Has anybody here ever worked with ADEC for jobs in Abu Dhabi, or has anybody signed a contract??

I have signed a contract, am feeling nervous now as I have heard some bad reports.

Any information would be great !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1987

I have just received an e-mail requesting a phone interview for next monday with SABIS school network. I was just wondering what is the usual time period between applying for a position and getting offered a phone interview?

The reason I ask is because I dont even remember applying for a position with them recently but I might have done a 4 or 5 months ago. So do you think the phone interview is for a specific teaching position or is it just the next step the application procedure before I would be considered for a job?

Also what are these interviews like? What level of difficulty have people experienced with these phone interviews and what should I expect

Advertisement