Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lisa333

Hey.. Are you flying this Monday from Dublin, so am i on the 8.55pm flight.. I am going on my own its a little scary! What part are you going to? Lisa

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Hi guys,
    To people just recently getting the jobs are ye qualified teachers or just finished college? Im just finished had a phone interview about a month ago and heard nothing...so depressing would love to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lisa333

Anybody going this Monday?

Also if you want to teach in Dubai City instead of where they offered you, is it very hard to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about moving abroad as I'm currently out of work,was thinking about teaching english in Dubai. Just wondering what course should I do, I have a degree but no tefl,celta or delta courses done.
    would love to see that part of the world.also is it it a September to September job, have I missed the boat or can I apply at any time? And lastly, how are ye getting on out there?��

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Squervla

I've been thinking about doing Tefl for a while now, but I'm not sure of how widely recognised some of the courses may or not be.

Ideally I'd leave my job, borrow money and do Celta, but realistically I can't do that.

This offer is available on Groupon today, does anybody know how to judge these courses and if they're any good or not?

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/global-language-training/27178530?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_270&a=1676

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 star92

Hey, anyone applied for the 2014 school year?

Also does anyone know how to get a police clearance report?

Is it the same as garda vetting or a police certificate? Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 duff21

I really want to go to Dubai/Abu Dhabi teaching in August 2014. I am currently studying for my PDE with Hibernia and will be qualified by the time I go out. My girlfriend also wants to go out there and she will get work in her profession but it's not teaching. I am just wondering is it possible to live together in the U.A.E if you are not married? If you go out there working for SABIS or the likes would they allow you to live together? Any with any info or anyone been in this position before???

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Lots of people seemed to be on here starting soon a few months back...did you all make it? What's it like?

thebuzz wrote: »
    Lots of people seemed to be on here starting soon a few months back...did you all make it? What's it like?

A very quiet lot in here, I asked that a few months ago and no response.

Seriously, where is everyone? Internet must be blocked in UAE? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 AnnMarie91

Hi everyone, I applied to SABIS last week for jobs in January and they emailed me today to do a Skype interview on sunday. I'm a bit nervous and was wondering how other peoples went? Is there certain things I should prepare for it? And do you think there will be any jobs in January seen its halfway through their school year?? Thanks!

AnnMarie91 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I applied to SABIS last week for jobs in January and they emailed me today to do a Skype interview on sunday. I'm a bit nervous and was wondering how other peoples went? Is there certain things I should prepare for it? And do you think there will be any jobs in January seen its halfway through their school year?? Thanks!

Hey, how did your interview go? I had mine in late October and it went pretty well I think. There's defiantly gonna be jobs going because a lot of people leave throughout the year, especially after Christmas!

Hi Annmarie, hope the interview went well, just wondering did you get one of those celta, tefl,or delta courses done, I heard as long as you have a degree you can apply.is this true?

Hi Annmarie, hope the interview went well, just wondering did you get one of those celta, tefl,or delta courses done, I heard as long as you have a degree you can apply.is this true?

The recruiter guys said u don't need any kinda tefl course done... All you need is a degree! :D

star92 wrote: »
    The recruiter guys said u don't need any kinda tefl course done... All you need is a degree! :D

Thanks star92, wondering aswell, does it matter what result your degree is, I have a level 8 degree, pass result tho. I just ask because even to get into a post grad, 1:1's 2:1's and 2:2's are always the jazz.

Thanks star92, wondering aswell, does it matter what result your degree is, I have a level 8 degree, pass result tho. I just ask because even to get into a post grad, 1:1's 2:1's and 2:2's are always the jazz.

Hmm I don't think grades matter too much because sure they're letting me apply and possibly offer me a position without me even sitting my 4th year exams yet! :D you might as well apply and give it a go :)

star92 wrote: »
    Hmm I don't think grades matter too much because sure they're letting me apply and possibly offer me a position without me even sitting my 4th year exams yet! :D you might as well apply and give it a go :)

Is it Sabis I should be registering with like Annmarie or is there a number of different company's? I actually don't have a clue how to go about this

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Choueifat2012

I graduated with a 3rd and received a position at choueifat in Dubai in 2012

Application process very simple May take long to reply however 1-2 telephone interview fill application form on flight to UAE

The school is quite known here well teachers are hired all year around especially after Christmas and other holidays as in my time many teachers decided to leave after Christmas

My daily work load was 12+hrs hrs worked hard

I wish you all the best and consider glassdoor reviews for sabis the actual teacher reviews

Boards.ie is a great site and I advice you read through comments very useful!

Hi, sorry for the late reply! The interview went well and wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I sent off my application form and they've contacted my referees so I'm just waiting to hear from them now about the second interview which will prob be a bit more in depth.

You don't need a tefl certificate or anything like that, just a degree and as far as I know as long as you have it, it doesn't matter about your grade in it.

I've just read some of the links to other reviews and they're a bit worrying! It's mainly negative and although the teacher I've been talking to in Al Ain really likes it, I'm wondering if she's just one of the lucky ones. Has anyone else heard positive feedback from teachers?

Also does anyone know the difference between SABIS and ADEC?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hajisaia

How did you apply? Did you email them your cv and they sent you an application? Or did you fill in the application through the sabis careers website?

• Advertisement

I did both. I messaged 2 of the schools as well through the individual schools website

Hi, sorry for the late reply! The interview went well and wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I sent off my application form and they've contacted my referees so I'm just waiting to hear from them now about the second interview which will prob be a bit more in depth.

You don't need a tefl certificate or anything like that, just a degree and as far as I know as long as you have it, it doesn't matter about your grade in it.

I've just read some of the links to other reviews and they're a bit worrying! It's mainly negative and although the teacher I've been talking to in Al Ain really likes it, I'm wondering if she's just one of the lucky ones. Has anyone else heard positive feedback from teachers?

Also does anyone know the difference between SABIS and ADEC?

Thanks!

Glad your interview went well :)
    ADEC is a schooling organisation in Abu Dhabi and follow a different teaching method to sabis and I think they only hire qualified teachers.

Hi, I just had my second Skype interview and was told that I'd probably be sent to Muscat in Oman. I was looking it up and it seems really boring! Has anyone else had any experience teaching there or know anyone there? I don't know what to do!

Niamh91 wrote: »
    Just got the email today, I am going to Muscat, Oman. Did anybody else get there? Just know one person that got there so far would be great to hear from any others:)

Hi, I just seen you're post here about Muscat. Are you still there? I just had my second Skype interview and was told that if offered the job I'd prob be sent to Muscat. What do you think of it?

Can you tell a bit more about the interview(s)? What sort of questions did they ask you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shaun36

Got an email today, I have a Skype interview in the morning! Have no idea what to expect or what questions I could be asked as I didn't get time to prepare for the interview as I am currently in my final year exams in college! Anyone got any advice???

thebuzz wrote: »
    Can you tell a bit more about the interview(s)? What sort of questions did they ask you?

They asked what I knew about sabis and their methods, why I'd want to work in a sabis school, why I want to move to the Middle East, why I want to do teaching and things like that. They ask you how you'd handle different scenarios like children being bored in your lessons or acting out.

Just have a good read over their info on their website so you know what they're about and show them that you know this. If you've filled out an application form they'll ask you a lot of the same questions from that as well.

It's not a bad interview though so don't stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Seamus91

They asked what I knew about sabis and their methods, why I'd want to work in a sabis school, why I want to move to the Middle East, why I want to do teaching and things like that. They ask you how you'd handle different scenarios like children being bored in your lessons or acting out.

Just have a good read over their info on their website so you know what they're about and show them that you know this. If you've filled out an application form they'll ask you a lot of the same questions from that as well.

It's not a bad interview though so don't stress!

Hi AnnMarie,

Thanks for the help seen the thread and they asked exactly what you were saying and also excerpt of what was on the application form. Havent sent in application though not sure should it be extensive or basically fill in the small spaces that they have or how did you do yours? Have you heard anything back yet?

Séamus

Seamus91 wrote: »
    Hi AnnMarie,

Thanks for the help seen the thread and they asked exactly what you were saying and also excerpt of what was on the application form. Havent sent in application though not sure should it be extensive or basically fill in the small spaces that they have or how did you do yours? Have you heard anything back yet?

Séamus
    No probs, glad I could help! In my application form I think I just tried to answer them well but without writing loads if you know what I mean? I just based my answers on what I thought they'd want to hear from reading up about them and their methods. After I sent the application they emailed me the next day with the contract to sign and send off and then they rang yesterday to give me a heads up about getting my degree stamped by Omani embassy and somewhere else. The school should hopefully be in touch soon but I'm in Australia at the min and not home till next week so I can't do anything till then anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Seamus91

No probs, glad I could help! In my application form I think I just tried to answer them well but without writing loads if you know what I mean? I just based my answers on what I thought they'd want to hear from reading up about them and their methods. After I sent the application they emailed me the next day with the contract to sign and send off and then they rang yesterday to give me a heads up about getting my degree stamped by Omani embassy and somewhere else. The school should hopefully be in touch soon but I'm in Australia at the min and not home till next week so I can't do anything till then anyways.

Jaysus living the life, Australia and then the Middle East ha. No thats grand have pretty much filled it out so have to send all my degrees and Garda clearance and what not to sort it out on top of that. Went really well and sure may have to wait until March for face to face Interviews if I am successful though sure as the woman said if dont hear anything over next couple of days or weeks it can be a good thing. The waiting begins now:P Though fair play sure youre nearly all sorted now

Advertisement