Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hajisaia

Seamus91 wrote: »
    Jaysus living the life, Australia and then the Middle East ha. No thats grand have pretty much filled it out so have to send all my degrees and Garda clearance and what not to sort it out on top of that. Went really well and sure may have to wait until March for face to face Interviews if I am successful though sure as the woman said if dont hear anything over next couple of days or weeks it can be a good thing. The waiting begins now:P Though fair play sure youre nearly all sorted now
    Did they send you an application to fill in or did you just get it from their site and filled it then sent it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Seamus91

hajisaia wrote: »
    Did they send you an application to fill in or did you just get it from their site and filled it then sent it?

I got an email to say I had an interview over Skype or Phone and then I got another email not long after with a link to information and the application form. See I applied for a position through the available jobs/vacancies so could be different that way?

Did you submit a cv video? The guy that emailed me told me to submit one and I'm quite anxious about it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 star92

Did you submit a cv video? The guy that emailed me told me to submit one and I'm quite anxious about it to be honest.

I somehow managed to dodge submitting a video CV... yippie!! :P

star92 wrote: »
    I somehow managed to dodge submitting a video CV... yippie!! :P
    Oh lucky you! And the application is looong lol. So are you going to Oman in January or is it for the next academic year?

• Advertisement

Oh lucky you! And the application is looong lol. So are you going to Oman in January or is it for the next academic year?

Yeah I was dreading making a video cv so I was delighted when I got away without making one! Ohh I don't know where I'll be going but I'm still in my final year in college so I'll be heading out next September if I get the job... Are you going in January?

Yeah I was dreading making a video cv so I was delighted when I got away without making one! Ohh I don't know where I'll be going but I'm still in my final year in college so I'll be heading out next September if I get the job... Are you going in January?
    Yeah I'm in my final year in uni as well so hopefully if I even get the job then it'd have to be for September. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Seamus91

No I actually havent sent one in. I sent most of my Documents in Yesterday and haven't asked about the video anymore? Maybe the Phone Interview sufficed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

Does anyone know if AED 7500 (Dirhams) per month is a good wage for teaching 30 hours a week in the UAE? This transfers at approximately €1492 per month. Rent is included on top of this.

With rent included it would be possible to save, but does anyone else think this is a little small for the Middle East? Is it possible to get a better offer for teaching in UAE than this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Has anyone ever read the following page of reviews for the International Schools of Chouefait/SABIS? They're not very flattering, and I was just wondering, how much truth is behind them.

Some extracts...
    Avoid Sabis
    Sabis - Bargepole required
    Sabis has a very poor reputation among most international educators. The curriculum and delivery are controlled so much that teachers do not have any autonomy or choice in the classroom. They do not require certified teachers. They limit contact between teachers and parents. Salaries are very low.
    Mmm...well, according to Choueifat they have the best academic background in the UAE. Having taught with them for multiple contracts in various locations, I can tell you that I would personally send my kids to The Indian High School or Our Own English High School before Choueifat. I would be guaranteed better academic expections and much better discipline in those schools than in the Choueifat schools. Choueifat is great at propoganda-they tell parents of mostly Arab backgrounds exactly what they want to hear. But Umm Rashid is right: the teachers are not well paid. They also tend to be the least qualified since qualified teachers tend to hold out for better contracts elsewhere.
    Having taught in Saudia Arabia, Egypt and now in Qatar, I have heard nothing good about Chewyfat "schools". I have had several colleagues who have had the great misfortune to "teach" at these institutions and their experiences were little short of horrific.

First of all, many Chewyfat "schools" employ "teachers" who are not properly trained or qualified. In some cases, these "teachers" were supposed to be teaching English, but in fact their own command of the language was so poor and so limited that their lessons were almost worthless.

Secondly, the younger children in these institutions are not given age-appropriate materials, just dull text. No colour, no pictures, nothing that can be terned "child-friendly". Play-based learning is actively discouraged.

Thirdly, the "teachers" have to stick rigidly to the SABIS textbooks. Don't try to extend the more able or do reinforcement activities for the less able. Woe betide the "teacher" who does not follow the textbook. So much for differentiation!

Fourthly, it is Chewyfat policy not to allow parents to meet their child's "teachers".

Fifthly, trememndous emphasis is placed on regurgitation and repetition, but any real understanding of what you have learned is discouraged because that might mean deviating from the correct page of the textbook.
    PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote
    I worked there a long time ago - bargepole, mate. Big, BIG, bargepole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 RichTea123

AnnMarie91 wrote: »
    They asked what I knew about sabis and their methods, why I'd want to work in a sabis school, why I want to move to the Middle East, why I want to do teaching and things like that. They ask you how you'd handle different scenarios like children being bored in your lessons or acting out.

Just have a good read over their info on their website so you know what they're about and show them that you know this. If you've filled out an application form they'll ask you a lot of the same questions from that as well.

It's not a bad interview though so don't stress!

Hi AnnMarie,

Your post has been really helpful! Has put me at ease as to what to expect! I emailed Sabis regarding the possibility of teaching in or around Dubai at the start of the academic year and they replied saying I have a Skype interview on the 13th, really didn't know what to expect from it! At least now I know what to focus on!

Have doubts about actually going ahead with the whole application but when I think of the experience which lies ahead if I did get a job I think I would be mad not to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭qwertyups

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a skype interview next Wednesday with Sabis. In the email they said I should have received login details to fill in an application form and questionnaire. I got no details and I emailed them but got no reply. Can anyone tell me if these are important for the interview or how I can get the login details?

Thanks.

qwertyups wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a skype interview next Wednesday with Sabis. In the email they said I should have received login details to fill in an application form and questionnaire. I got no details and I emailed them but got no reply. Can anyone tell me if these are important for the interview or how I can get the login details?

Thanks.
    Yeah you do need to fill in the application and send it back before the interview (at least that's what they've told me). Most of the questions they ask you in the interview are questions from the application or very similar to them. And you do need to have log in details to download the application. Email back the person who emailed you and tell them to send you login details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elakiya.kishok

hello everybody.. i recently moved to qatar with my spouse who's working in qatar airways..i'm an engineering graduate but not working.. we've got our resident permit also. i heard about sabis school and i would like to apply for tat. any advice on how to apply n prepare for the interview would be deeply appreciated.. thank u..

hello everybody.. i recently moved to qatar with my spouse who's working in qatar airways..i'm an engineering graduate but not working.. we've got our resident permit also. i heard about sabis school and i would like to apply for tat. any advice on how to apply n prepare for the interview would be deeply appreciated.. thank u..
    You could start by submitting an online application on the sabis careers website also you can send your cv to careersgulf@sabis.net

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AnnMarie91

Hi everyone,

I am flying over to Muscat, Oman on Sunday and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to bring or any things I need to know before I head over?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elakiya.kishok

thank u so much hajisaia..

Had a skype interview with Mazen the recruitment officer today. Very friendly fella and it went pretty good. If anyone has any questions about what he asked let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RichTea123

Had a skype interview with Mazen the recruitment officer today. Very friendly fella and it went pretty good. If anyone has any questions about what he asked let me know.

Hi qwertyups,

Congrats on the interview going well! I have mine next week, can I just ask how long did it go on for roughly? Did he say when you will find out about getting to the next stage?

Thanks

It lasted maybe 20 minutes, I kinda lost track tbh but it was fairly straightforward. Asked questions about how you would keep a class disciplined, how would you motivate them, how would you set a good example for your students, pretty much everything that is in the information sheets.

He said there will be further interviews in March and that they will let me know closer to the date. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Roismagosh

It lasted maybe 20 minutes, I kinda lost track tbh but it was fairly straightforward. Asked questions about how you would keep a class disciplined, how would you motivate them, how would you set a good example for your students, pretty much everything that is in the information sheets.

He said there will be further interviews in March and that they will let me know closer to the date. Hope this helps.
    Hi everyone,
    I had the Skype interview with Tarek in December, I was told the same about the interviews in Dublin come March. I am a little confused about the Garda Vetting that we need to get because its usually employers that get that. How did any of ye go about it? I'm trying to get organized because I was offered the chance last year but couldn't go. Horror stories aside it is my best option to get myself into teaching.

Roismagosh wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I had the Skype interview with Tarek in December, I was told the same about the interviews in Dublin come March. I am a little confused about the Garda Vetting that we need to get because its usually employers that get that. How did any of ye go about it? I'm trying to get organized because I was offered the chance last year but couldn't go. Horror stories aside it is my best option to get myself into teaching.

Hey, I had the same problem and was confused for a good month about the Garda vetting. In the end I just applied for a data protection access request and they accepted the letter I got from that as proof of no convictions. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WeeHannah

Hey, I had the same problem and was confused for a good month about the Garda vetting. In the end I just applied for a data protection access request and they accepted the letter I got from that as proof of no convictions. Hope this helps

Congrats on the interviews guys, I'd love to apply for this also, an I ask if you are all qualified teachers?

Thanks
    WeeHannah

WeeHannah wrote: »
    Congrats on the interviews guys, I'd love to apply for this also, an I ask if you are all qualified teachers?

Thanks
    WeeHannah

Thanks! You should definitely apply, and nope I'm in forth year studying science. You don't have to be a qualified teacher, just need a degree.

Thanks Star 92, I'm applying this weekend!!

I'm not a qualified teacher, doing this in the hopes I'll afford to do the PGDE after! I've a BA in English and Geography and a MA:Dip in Gender, Globalisation and Rights. Sent off my bits yesterday all except the Police Cert because I'm still waiting on it. Easily I'm the most unorganised person ever! :(

Great to hear I'm not the only one so! :-)

Are you applying directly through the website itself for particular posts??

I wonder is there a certain number if positions available??

WeeHannah wrote: »
    Great to hear I'm not the only one so! :-)

Are you applying directly through the website itself for particular posts??

I wonder is there a certain number if positions available??

No I sent them an email and had the Skype interview. Then they said get all these bits sorted in time for the face to face interviews but I havent applied for any positions...does anyone really know what the story is. I thought after the interview they offer out posts but I'm getting emails for positions in Lebanon and Iran (not where I want). I'm hoping for Khalifa or Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yazzy yeff

Roismagosh wrote: »
    No I sent them an email and had the Skype interview. Then they said get all these bits sorted in time for the face to face interviews but I havent applied for any positions...does anyone really know what the story is. I thought after the interview they offer out posts but I'm getting emails for positions in Lebanon and Iran (not where I want). I'm hoping for Khalifa or Dubai.

Hey do you know where the face to face interview will be? I have a Skype interview Wednesday. I hope they don't offer anything outside the UAE as I don't think I would take it. Not much information given by them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 azag

Hello, So I had my Skype interview back in Jan with Sabis, and it seemed to go well. The gentleman interviewing me said that they will want me back for a 2nd interview. The face-to face interview for me would be in New York, and I live in Canada so Im flying there for the weekend. Problem is they didnt give me any definite info yet :S so I cant book anything.
    Does anyone have any info on how long it took for them to get details for their 2nd interview?

Alsoooo, for those who had a second interview, what was the likelihood of getting an offer?? I REALLY want this, and I'm getting nerve wrecked about the idea of not getting it, so I'm hoping to see what other experiences were.

THANKS!

Advertisement