Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WeeHannah

Guys can I just ask if you all applied for a specific vacancy on the website??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bricksmart

On the subject of Ruwais; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVZ_BpMkZoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3 azag

WeeHannah wrote: »
    Guys can I just ask if you all applied for a specific vacancy on the website??

I applied to a ton, anything that worked with my qualifications. However, when I got my Skype interview they said it's not for a specific position or even country, that would be determined if I got a job offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ellas98

Does anyone know if there are jobs in SABIS for older teachers with families? Do they pay children's school fees? There are so many horror stories out there. I'm thinking about moving to Qatar or Dubai with my family?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aca2801

Hey I am due to qualify as an accountant this year and i always felt at some point I would like to teach. However I would not mind doing teaching abroad perhaps Dubai if possible for a year or so. What is the best process to begin application? Just apply on Sabis Careers? Also, it is likely i be considered or are they more focused on trying to find people straight out of college or teachers?

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 azag

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a second face to face interview, and how it went? I know other people who got hired without the face to face. Does that mean my chances of getting in are good? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Hi!

I just had my skype interview this morning. It was nice enough and I have a 2nd interview in March in Dublin. However he asked me to get my Garda Vetting form started. I have no idea how to do this as it says on the Garda website that your employer needs to get this form for you.

How did other people go about it?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shaun36

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    Hi!

I just had my skype interview this morning. It was nice enough and I have a 2nd interview in March in Dublin. However he asked me to get my Garda Vetting form started. I have no idea how to do this as it says on the Garda website that your employer needs to get this form for you.

I went into my local Garda station and asked for a Police character reference form! It's pretty much the same as police vetting, only police vetting is for a job within Ireland, where as a police character reference is for a job outside of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bd_90

Thats a great help Shaun, I have my first Skype interview on Tuesday. Fairly nervous as I have my hopes set on teaching in the middle East. Has anyone any tips on the first interview. What to expectregarding questions etc. Any help would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 star92

Hi!

sabis sent me this document as a reply when I asked how to get police clearance:

Ireland

Under the Data Protection Act 1988 in the Republic of Ireland an individual is entitled to obtain

a copy of any criminal record information held on them by the Garda Síochána (the police force

of the Republic of Ireland), subject to certain exemptions. A request made to the Garda under

the Data Protection Act must be made in writing to the address below:

The Central vetting Unit can also be contacted by telephone on 00353‐50427300 or by Fax

The written application must make clear that the request for information is being made under

section 4 of the Data Protection Act 1988 and that you require all the information that may be

You must also supply the following personal details:

• Previous addresses within the Republic of Ireland, and

A request for information under the Act carries a fee of €6.35 euros. Payment which must be in

the form of a cheque, postal order or bank draft should be made payable to ‘The Accountant,

Department of Justice’ and sent with the written letter of application. Cash should not be

forwarded with applications. Payments in foreign currency, foreign cheques or foreign postal

Information given undersection 4 ofthe IrishData Protection Act 1988 detail all convictions

recorded against an individual, regardless of the time that may have lapsed since it was

recorded. A typical entry will list the venue of any court hearing, the nature of the offence and

The document produced in response to a request under section 4 has no security features (i.e.

no watermarks, etc), as it will simply list any convictions on regular paper (or state that no

criminal record information is held on the named individual).

Once you have made your request, and paid any appropriate fee, an individual can expect to

receive a copy of his or her record within 40 days.

Getting an Apostille in Ireland

Telephone: +353 1 408 2174 +353 1 408 2322

Department of Foreign Affairs‐Consular Services

• Criminal Records Bureau website: http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=2561

• Central VettingUnit: +35 350 427 300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Amy100

Hey everyone...
    I am just wondering does anybody know the salary for teaching in the UAE?
    I am a primary teacher and would be hoping to go in September 2015. At that stage I will have 5 years experience. Currently in my 4th year teaching.
    Would love to go once I'm granted a career break. Need a change of scenery!
    Thanks!
    Amy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

Amy100 wrote: »
    Hey everyone...
    I am just wondering does anybody know the salary for teaching in the UAE?
    I am a primary teacher and would be hoping to go in September 2015. At that stage I will have 5 years experience. Currently in my 4th year teaching.
    Would love to go once I'm granted a career break. Need a change of scenery!
    Thanks!
    Amy.
    Depends on what school you g with. Sabis do not pay well in comparison to other schools. I think ADEC (Abu Dhabi Educational Council?) pay well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bd_90

I just had my Skype interview. It was very straight forward. Just asked a few questionns about classroom management, and adapting to cultural change. At the end he asked me to name my my top three cities of choice to be placed. He also mentioned that the face to face interviews are at the end of March in Limerick and Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Roismagosh

So today was the deadline for the application process. I got everything in just about on time! Those references took a while to go in, my choices were a bit too laid back on sending anything in for me. Yay for NUIG people! :/ Don't suppose anyone got word on dates for Dub yet? or even a location, I'll be getting a train into Connolly but it'd be nice to know if I need to book a room (I tend to lose track of time easily!) or how long these intervies will be. I know Emirates go over a period of a few days while they whittle down the choices. I'm putting down Abu dhabi, Dubai and Khalifa if I can get away with it. Anyone else got any plans yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Hey I had an interview with ADEC on Sunday, I went through Teach Away, unfortunately I didn't get it, they had informed me that I did not meet the minimum requirements of 2 years full time post qualification experience. This is my second year post qualification but last year I was on half hours and this year I was on full hours.

I am looking to teach in UAE this year. I'm a secondary school maths teacher and I was wondering is there any companies I can go through to achieve getting a maths position over in UAE?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kernugent

Hi!

Hi I received an email this morning saying I have a Skype interview Monday morning at 7 am how early was yours? I applied a very long time ago think it was last summer and only hearing back now. Did your interview just involve Skype phone or did you have to use a web cam? I don't have a web cam so just wondering how that will go. I have my garde vetting already mine was completed when I was in college. I do remember though that there was a number for garde vetting line and you can ring them to send you the forms. You just fill them out and send back. This was 2 year ago so I assume it has not changed that much. Best of luck with interview in Dublin.

Roismagosh wrote: »
    So today was the deadline for the application process. I got everything in just about on time! Those references took a while to go in, my choices were a bit too laid back on sending anything in for me. Yay for NUIG people! :/ Don't suppose anyone got word on dates for Dub yet? or even a location, I'll be getting a train into Connolly but it'd be nice to know if I need to book a room (I tend to lose track of time easily!) or how long these intervies will be. I know Emirates go over a period of a few days while they whittle down the choices. I'm putting down Abu dhabi, Dubai and Khalifa if I can get away with it. Anyone else got any plans yet?

Hi ya mention NUIG??? Did you do your teacher training there? I completed mine last year. Have skpye interview Monday so will see after that. Best of luck with your interview. I have to fill out forms now so not sure what's ahead of me

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aca2801

Hi,

Does anyone know how it takes to hear back about whether or not they want to interview?

I sent my application but I have received no feedback here.

Thanks

aca2801 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know how it takes to hear back about whether or not they want to interview?

I sent my application but I have received no feedback here.

Thanks

Hi I'm not really sure how long it will take for you as you have applied in February when they are recruiting. I applied last sept and only heard back today that I have an interview on Monday. They might not have been recruiting when I applied. I hope you hear from them soon

hi guys,
    im working in Sabis in Qatar for a few years now. did ye get a date for coming over yet?

Hi are you still working there? just wondering what are your hours, when do you start and when do you finish? do you like it is it worth packing up my family for?? any info would be great thanks

• Advertisement

Hi I have my Skype interview tomorrow morning. I don't have a web cam did anyone else have the same issue if so what happened? Also sabis schools say they have longer days to accommodate more breaks for students, does anyone know what there times are of work. I am really looking for the most informoation possible as I have a family and if I was successful in getting a job I need to make sure it will suit family wise. I have two young children so would need to know if sabis would take up most of my day! Anyone else that had their interview please let me know how you got on and what packages were offered if successful. Thanks k

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you can help. I am interested in teaching in the middle east with SABIS also, but I am looking for information.

From reading this thread, I gather that not everyone needs a teaching degree, but do need a Bachelors Degree. I have a Bachelor and Masters degree in Engineering, currently working in the field(contract).

My question is: Do you have to apply for a specific job or is it a speculative application kind of thing?

As there are no jobs for engineering. And I wouldn't be fluent in Maths/Physics/Chemistry or whatever the application is looking for.

Am I wasting my time? What are other people's experience of what they apply for. Would people with Science only degrees be applying for the physics/chemistry roles etc....?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you can help. I am interested in teaching in the middle east with SABIS also, but I am looking for information.

From reading this thread, I gather that not everyone needs a teaching degree, but do need a Bachelors Degree. I have a oBachelor and Masters degree in Engineering, currently working in the field(contract).

My question is: Do you have to apply for a specific job or is it a speculative application kind of thing?

As there are no jobs for engineering. And I wouldn't be fluent in Maths/Physics/Chemistry or whatever the application is looking for.

Am I wasting my time? What are other people's experience of what they apply for. Would people with Science only degrees be applying for the physics/chemistry roles etc....?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Hi tom, I have a masters degree in science and have my teacher qualification but looking through other comments I think a degree is suffice. I just emailed my CV to
    careers gulf@sabis. net.
    They emailed me back with a login and password so that I could access their application. I printed it out and once completed I send it back. I have an interview in the morning so will let you know how all goes. I'd say go for it send your CV to the email I gave you and go from there. Good luck hope this helps. Oh and no iI did not apply for a specific position think that is sorted if you are lucky to land the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

Hi Kernugent,

How did you get on with the interview?

I haven't applied for anything yet , but i will this week. I did previously send my application the same way as you, but was told to apply for a specific job. must be different for everyone.

Thanks,
    Tom

Hi Kernugent,

How did you get on with the interview?

I haven't applied for anything yet , but i will this week. I did previously send my application the same way as you, but was told to apply for a specific job. must be different for everyone.

Thanks,
    Tom

Hi Tom, was up bright and early for 7 am Monday then got a phone call at 7.15 to say they had to reschedual interview until next Monday. A bit disappointed but what can I do.
    That's mad that they won't take your CV. I sent mine along time ago and only heard back last week so maybe they only got back to.me because not enough applied not sure really. I'd say apply to a few random ones maybe science and maths etc at least your CV will then be on file.
    I heard back from footprint recruitment yesterday I have an interview next Tuesday for an iat school. There are so many types if schools it hard to know which are the good ones.
    Good luck with job search hope you get an interview. keep me updated. I'll let you know how all goes here.
    Thanks Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Anybody get confirmation that they were getting a face to face interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 star92

Anybody get confirmation that they were getting a face to face interview?

Nope haven't heard anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mregan22

Hi I am wondering did anyone hear about an interview for March for sabis. I had a Skype interview in December and they said would you like an interview in limerick or Dublin and they will be in march but haven't heard a word yet.

Has anyone that interviewing in Dublin heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mitoke

Hello,

I wanted to know how the experience has been for those of you who are already there? It seems there are good and bad reviews, which can be expected. How long did it take to get an interview from when you sent in your application? Also, SABIS pays a lot less I heard than most places in the Middle East, which is understandable because they have less requirements. Have you been able to manage on the pay and much do you get?

I'm not a qualified teacher but I do have TEFL certificate, a BA from the US in Political Science and International Studies/Islamic World Studies and I'm currently doing a MSc at Uni of Bham in International Development and International Political Economy. I pretty much applied for English and Social studies positions.

Any advice in regards to the application process and reviews on SABIS would be well appreciated.

Also, I noticed some of you asking about Oman. I lived there for about 6 months so if you have any questions do feel free to ask and it's actually not boring at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 mregan22

mitoke wrote: »
    Hello,

I wanted to know how the experience has been for those of you who are already there? It seems there are good and bad reviews, which can be expected. How long did it take to get an interview from when you sent in your application? Also, SABIS pays a lot less I heard than most places in the Middle East, which is understandable because they have less requirements. Have you been able to manage on the pay and much do you get?

I'm not a qualified teacher but I do have TEFL certificate, a BA from the US in Political Science and International Studies/Islamic World Studies and I'm currently doing a MSc at Uni of Bham in International Development and International Political Economy. I pretty much applied for English and Social studies positions.

Any advice in regards to the application process and reviews on SABIS would be well appreciated.

Also, I noticed some of you asking about Oman. I lived there for about 6 months so if you have any questions do feel free to ask and it's actually not boring at all.

Have you got asked for a face to face interview?

Advertisement