Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Waller07

antz182 wrote: »
    Looks like there'll be a few of us headin so :)

I also got Doha!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭antz182

Waller07 wrote: »
    lol loads of us headin so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rachel1987

Hey, I am thinking of taking a job in sheffield private school in dubai, has anyone ever heard of it?
    i think its located in an industrial area called al qusais

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AmyR967

Hi, I've been offered a position in Muscat, unfortunately I am having difficulty obtaining Garda Vetting. How did the other Irish applicants go about this? Following conversations with the local Gardai they maintain that the school itself must first obtain the vetting forms before I can proceed. The school has said I must have the police clearence finished before I enter Muscat.
    Any help from Irish applicants would be greatly appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SarahOG

Hey, I have got a position with a friend of mine in Ruwais, just wondering if anyone else on here has?

On another note @AmyR967, we have had the same issue, so we applied for the garda certificate , simply get it from your local station. Apparently it has been accepted by SABIS before. Meh sure, they seem pretty relaxed so I wouldn't stress to much about it!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AmyR967

Thanks, never thought of a Police Certificate, sounds like it will cover the problem.

Best of luck on your travels. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bloor

Ya a police certificate will do fine....thats all I got and SABIS accepted it so all should be good with that!!!
    Best of luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alimai

Hey, this is the form I sent them and they seemed happy with it!

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/data%20protection%20access%20request%20form%20(f20).pdf

That's great, at least one thing out of the way anyway.

Best of luck to everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lollipoplady

rachel1987 wrote: »
    Hey, I am thinking of taking a job in sheffield private school in dubai, has anyone ever heard of it?
    i think its located in an industrial area called al qusais

I was living about five minute walk from Sheffield. Its in a place called AL Nahda 2 ,Al Mamzar (Al Qusais). Area is pretty working class but everything such as food and toiletries etc are very very cheap here. Its directly across the road from Al Sharjah, the other emirate (the strictest emirate!) so its possible to walk to the shopping centre there. Sheffield teach mainly Indian and pakistani students and although I didnt teach there it seemed fairly ok. School looks nice on the outside, good facilities etc. If you need any specific info though just ask:) good luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 km1989

Waller07 wrote: »

Im going to Doha too :) I am kind of nervous/excited, but I don't know anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gaff84

Hey guys, also heading to Doha. Where are yee all from? Think all the Irish are flying out the 25th of aug. We're all on the same flight...

Gaff84 wrote: »
    Hey guys, also heading to Doha. Where are yee all from? Think all the Irish are flying out the 25th of aug. We're all on the same flight...

I think everyone going over is Irish apart from me!! I'm from Birmingham! Can't wait till August:)

Are there many on this site heading to Ruwais?

Ah good city Birmingham...just as many Irish there...Heard there was 9 from Ireland heading over newa...dont know ne1 going to Ruwais sarah, sorry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jessible

I am just after receiving the application pack and i am def considering applying. I just wanted to ask others about the teaching method im still clueless after reading the information on the points system? Can anyone shed some light? Also how are you meant to discipline the students? We cant raise our voices or shout at them what if the class dont behave?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

jessible wrote: »
    I just wanted to ask others about the teaching method im still clueless after reading the information on the points system? Can anyone shed some light? Also how are you meant to discipline the students? We cant raise our voices or shout at them what if the class dont behave?

I shouted........I shouted BIG-TIME!!............I used to get so frustrated with some of the rich, bossy, lazzeeeee kids that I would be so worked up that I felt couldn't do anything but shout, and I was never pulled up for it in my Choueifat School and neither were the other teachers.............now however I see the error of my ways.

Firstly...I was unqualified and hopelessly inexperienced at dealing with kids. Now, more times than not I can talk them out of bad behaviour before they even know they're going to do it. It's all about keeping them focused!! (With purposeful work in which they know how much you expect of them, how long they have to do it and what the consequences will be of doing the work well, or the opposite!) and having a system in place that makes the children want to work well......not just be afraid of working/ behaving badly...(eg....A Star Chart....or some imaginative variation on it...but the principle is the same).

Also allowing a child to cause you such frustration is not good either professionally or personally. Thinking back, it was on days that I wasn't feeling too great anyway that I was most likely to let rip with rage in class.

You really won't know for sure until you're standing there in front of them and you're trying to teach to the (Mental) Points system.......which breaks every single topic into lots and lots of individual points that when learned (supposedly) give the child complete and total knowledge of that subject. It also teaches them to be totally reliant on their textbooks and not to question what they are told. It also leads to PILES of assessment and corrections for the teachers. Some subject teachers had a much heavier correction load than others..........as a lower primary teacher, mine wasn't too bad, but I shared my accommodation with a senior chemistry teacher who seemed to be correcting the equivalent of the Chemistry Leaving Cert Papers all year!

Despite all that, I still maintain that it's a fantastic opportunity for anybody who's interested in teaching/ travelling to be offered and you should go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

gwjones42 wrote: »
    I shouted........I shouted BIG-TIME!!............I used to get so frustrated with some of the rich, bossy, lazzeeeee kids that I would be so worked up that I felt couldn't do anything but shout, and I was never pulled up for it in my Choueifat School and neither were the other teachers.............now however I see the error of my ways.

Firstly...I was unqualified and hopelessly inexperienced at dealing with kids. Now, more times than not I can talk them out of bad behaviour before they even know they're going to do it. It's all about keeping them focused!! (With purposeful work in which they know how much you expect of them, how long they have to do it and what the consequences will be of doing the work well, or the opposite!) and having a system in place that makes the children want to work well......not just be afraid of working/ behaving badly...(eg....A Star Chart....or some imaginative variation on it...but the principle is the same).

Also allowing a child to cause you such frustration is not good either professionally or personally. Thinking back, it was on days that I wasn't feeling too great anyway that I was most likely to let rip with rage in class.

Despite all that, I still maintain that it's a fantastic opportunity for anybody who's interested in teaching/ travelling to be offered and you should go for it.
    +100%
    I was the exact same shouted and looking back really would never do that again. Shouting really means you ve lost control and you re desperate to get it back. Positivity is the key , I used to think that was a load of nonsense but after two years in England and dealing with chairs being thrown, children running out of class, spitting and swearing I realise its not. Most children just want to please and giving back agression to the pupil simply aggravates the matter. FIRMNESS and good boundaries with clear consequences are what children need. I ve emailed Jessie with some tips I would have liked to have had before I went out there. I might post them on a separate topic as it could help some others who go out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alimai

Hey could ya let us know where theyre posted when ya do, could really use that information! Thanks!

Ah good city Birmingham...just as many Irish there...Heard there was 9 from Ireland heading over newa...dont know ne1 going to Ruwais sarah, sorry..

So i will be on my own:( what age/subject are you teaching over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

alimai wrote: »
    Hey could ya let us know where theyre posted when ya do, could really use that information! Thanks!

Happy to help. I post my own thread titled behaviour tips for Sabis. But I ll post them here too.

Just thought I d share my experience of working in Sabis schools and what I would have done differently if I was to do it again.As well as my year in Chouefait I have taught for two years in a really challenging school in the UK where children can run out of class, throw chairs, spit and swear blind. Choueifat seems like a walk in the park in comparison. Here are some things I have learnt from my experience

1. The absolute Golden rule is SHOUTING is not a form of discipline. 9 times out of 10 it means the teacher has lost control and children pick up on it. Shouting is only a last resort if the pupil is about to cause themselves or another pupil harm. Children eventually become used to shouting if its used every day and then it is completely ineffective even in emergencies when it may be appropriate.
    Now discipline is different. It can come in many forms. The school does have corridor supervisors for discipline eg calling home, keeping them outside, telling them off in Arabic but I would keep that in reserve for extreme circumstances.

2. Be clear on your expectations eg if you say no talking that means no talking, make sure children know what they have to do. Boredom can lead to dispruptive behaviour. If a child is on task they are less likely to misbehave.

3. PRAISE the good behaviour eg Look at Mohommed sitting beautifully oooh lets see who else is?

4. Use rewards for good children and take them away from children who are not behaving. I used stickers, sweets, postcards anything I could get my hands on.
    Star of the day is a good idea and when a child who can be naughty makes an effort make sure it is recognised either verbally or with a reward.

5. Sanctions can include taking away treats and rewards, missing a couple of minutes of breaktime. BUT make sure the child understands why you have done that. Use a child who speaks good English if nessecary.

6. The most important thing to remember you CANNOT control a childs behaviour only YOUR own. If you panic, shout, become angry you have lost the battle and the child will know he or she got to you. It can be difficult but remain calm, be firm and don t get into a shouting match with a child. Leave them to calm down and then speak with them after and tell them what they did wrong.

Hope these tips help....

Thanks for that!

Nah id say there is a bunch from england going aswel...we're not a bad crowd newa...im not sure what age im teaching yet, they'll tell me when i get out there.,..depends on how many enrol they were saying. have you heard anything urself? got a message from them during the week...training starting the 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Gaff84, text speak is not permitted on Boards. Please use your full keyboards. Thanks.

Nah id say there is a bunch from england going aswel...we're not a bad crowd newa...im not sure what age im teaching yet, they'll tell me when i get out there.,..depends on how many enrol they were saying. have you heard anything urself? got a message from them during the week...training starting the 25th.

Im sure we'll all get on just fine:) yeah they offered me the position teaching kindergarden and year 1. ive only just finished uni so ive got to wait till i get my degree certificate before they can apply for my visa!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 seanfada

Having worked for SABIS for many years and being Irish I must commend and agree with the objective advice given in the above posts..........If you are coming out for the first time you should re read the advice given above.

Also if you wish to receive important updates it would be a good idea to sign up with twitter and follow @teachingindubai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HKL

Hi!

I'm very interested in this thread regarding working with Sabis for the coming school year.

I had a phone interview last Thursday - it was a pleasant experience, there were no hard questions. I have over 10 years' teaching experience in the Far East and have lived in Muslim countries before, so I'm not expecting the culture shock to be too overwhelming.

What I'd like to know is if anyone else was interviewed last week? I've been told to expect to hear within another week or so whether or not I've been selected for a second interview.

Seanfada, you seem to know more than most about school - are you still there? I've got two children (aged 7 & 9) and wonder if the package will be enough to sustain us all?

I'm not working at the moment, and think that a move to the ME for a job - even if only for a year or two - beats trying to make ends meet on social welfare in Ireland!

Any and all thoughts and comments gratefully received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Missy L

Hey Everybody

I have a SECOND phone interview on Monday. My first phone interview was in January and I thought they may interview face to face like they said, however they have decided to carry out a second phone interview. Im really scared as I dont know what to expect and how different can a second interview be to the first one? Im from the Midlands in UK and have seen alot of people from Dublin be offered a job..Im wondering why UK is lagging behind???????

I hope I dont mess it up as its a really good opportunity and I have waited like 6 months for them to get back to me :(

Any tips, advice or information will be much appreciated by ANYONE :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HKL

Congratulations on getting a second interview!

When did you hear about it? I had a first interview last Thursday and they said they would let me know within week - which, technically, is only tomorrow - so I shouldn't be too concerned yet, right? :)

Anyway, I'd imagine that a second interview will be more for you to ask questions and for them to go in to more detail about the teaching method they employ and what, exactly, will be expected of you. Also, I'd expect that there will be a more detailed discussion of the package and the salary etc.

Not having had a second interview with Sabis, I'm only guessing. Good luck - and let us know how you get on.

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 bloor

Hey...I couldn't make my face to face interview so I organised a 2nd phone interview with them and it was very straightforward...basically it was asking if I really wanted it, can I settle into a new culture, am I willing to commit for at least a year etc etc....they then give you a lowdown of the package and what to expect....it is really straightforward so I wouldn't get too stressed over it!!!
    Best of Luck

Advertisement