Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

...it's an outdated and irrelevant curriculum and you do no planning so it's not really worth anything. See my post a few pages back for more info.

Would you mind elaborating on why the curriculum is outdated and irrelevant? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mermaidmoment

Are you a primary teacher there? Children shouldn't have to learn from a workbook and through rote learning. Children should have access to resources and have work differentiated to suit their learning needs. Not every child can learn through a workbook . It's a boring irrelevant curriculum and that's why children misbehave so badly. Children don't behave like this at home because they are stimulated and have their individual needs taken into account .

Are you a primary teacher there? Children shouldn't have to learn from a workbook and through rote learning. Children should have access to resources and have work differentiated to suit their learning needs. Not every child can learn through a workbook . It's a boring irrelevant curriculum and that's why children misbehave so badly. Children don't behave like this at home because they are stimulated and have their individual needs taken into account .

I teach primary school here yeah. I don't remember what I used to do in primary school, I thought we used text books as well no?

Having said that, I don't remember my bags being as HUGE as the kids ones here. It always saddens me to see them dragging those bags up the stairs every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rachael.Zayne

No planning at all? To me that sounds like a positive. I swear I spend more time planning than is necessary. What about preparation? Is there much to do in that aspect if the children work out of books? It does seem a little boring for the children as they tend to learn better from practical lessons and using resources. Are you saying there are no resources at all? Reading books/ library/ math resources? What about displays? The picture in my head, of a classroom, at this minute is quite bland to be honest :)

They only got white boards here this year (with computer display), some classes still use chalkboards.

There's no photocopying facilities either, you have to request a paid person to copy what you want days in advance. There's literally one photocopier here. There's a ****e staffroom that no one uses, with ONE computer. That computer has an internet speed slower than dial up I kid you not, it's completely unusable.

Classrooms are filled with 15 desks (two to a desk) and boys/girls are always separated (even at grade 12). The eacher is never allowed to sit while teaching. There's one cupboard and some shelves with spaces for copies/books. That's it really. If you're really lucky and teaching grade 4 you might get an interactive white board.

BTW you still have to write up lesson plans even though you don't create the curriculum. This can take hours depending on a few factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

They only got white boards here this year (with computer display), some classes still use chalkboards.

There's no photocopying facilities either, you have to request a paid person to copy what you want days in advance. There's literally one photocopier here. There's a ****e staffroom that no one uses, with ONE computer. That computer has an internet speed slower than dial up I kid you not, it's completely unusable.

Classrooms are filled with 15 desks (two to a desk) and boys/girls are always separated (even at grade 12). The eacher is never allowed to sit while teaching. There's one cupboard and some shelves with spaces for copies/books. That's it really. If you're really lucky and teaching grade 4 you might get an interactive white board.

BTW you still have to write up lesson plans even though you don't create the curriculum. This can take hours depending on a few factors.

You're not really selling it there, BSG. :D

Lol I'm not trying too :) Just saying it like it is, it's a job you know?

But there are plenty of way around all these things. You wont use photocopies in class anyway since it's all textbooks, so that's not a problem, unless you are designing revision sheets, in which case a little printer at home would be better.

No one uses the staff room anyway, so I'm used to that now. You'll defo need internet at home, which is hard enough to get due to the CPR thing. You're only allowed to sit is there's less than 3 students in the class (which is usually intensives).

If you're here for more than a year though, you can reuse your lesson plans also, so that'll save time. But then again they might move you to another grade in which case you'll have to start from scratch again.

Wow almost sounds medieval. You would think they have all the mod-cons out there seen as it is a fee paying school. So I am guessing a laptop is an absolute necessary for finding resources then you put everything on a USB stick and give it to the photocopying people? Sounds like there is an awful lot of teacher input at the start to get the point across. Are you allowed to change the seating plan as long as girls and boys don't sit together?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

It depends on your school. Mine's in the UAE and it differs a good bit from Bahrain it seems. We have regular access to a photocopier if we need it.

I teach KG1, ALL of our materials are provided. Worksheets, reading books, displays etc. You do not find your own resources, only SABIS approved material can be used in the class room. We definitely would not get away with designing our own worksheets (in any grade)

Everything below is relevant for all levels:
    Lesson plans are very different to what you may think. You are given a pacing chart with the material that has to be covered that week (E.g it would tell you what concepts to introduce and revise, what pages in the book to do). You DO NOT stray from the pacing chart, you are expected to cover that material for the week and you can not work ahead or fall behind. The teacher input into the curriculum is non existent, you basically agree to teach using their method and nothing else.

Seating plans - we're allowed to change them in KG every term but the teachers in primary and secondary have no input here.

If anyone is qualified, I'd advise them to look at other schools, your wages will probably be double what SABIS will offer you.

It really depends on the school you're in and what your AQC or Head of Department expects from you. Some will demand weekly lesson plans, some will be a bit more lax about it.

Sounds a bit sh*te when you read all that, and at times it is. They are constantly introducing new things and changing the goalposts (e.g. In the UAE, KG1 have to drill mental maths, which is just getting the kids to say 2+3=5 but not allowing them to learn how to add or to use their fingers to add etc) I could probably fairly accurately say that the majority of people here don't love work, a lot don't like it and some hate it.

But at the end of the day, it affords you a lifestyle that you'd never get at home, I get to spend my weekends in Abu Dhabi or Dubai or Al Ain and I get to travel abroad for Christmas, Easter, Eid and the summer holidays. So it's worth it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DaithiBravo

And what's the salary like nowadays with Sabis for first year participants?

I've been told by others applying that it's 2,400 p/m (tax free obviously), that accommodation is all paid for (but you have to pay for electricity and share the apartment with one other teacher), that you get paid for holidays (for which they pay for your flights home and back), private health insurance and they pay for your flight there and back, as well as a 5,000 quid bonus for completing your year contact.

I'm a bit skeptical about all of this because, even though I've read some horror stories about people working for SABIS, that sees too good to be true. Especially if you're saying that other companies offer double those wages if you're qualified.

• Advertisement

It depends on your school. Mine's in the UAE and it differs a good bit from Bahrain it seems. We have regular access to a photocopier if we need it.

I teach KG1, ALL of our materials are provided. Worksheets, reading books, displays etc. You do not find your own resources, only SABIS approved material can be used in the class room. We definitely would not get away with designing our own worksheets (in any grade)

Everything below is relevant for all levels:
    Lesson plans are very different to what you may think. You are given a pacing chart with the material that has to be covered that week (E.g it would tell you what concepts to introduce and revise, what pages in the book to do). You DO NOT stray from the pacing chart, you are expected to cover that material for the week and you can not work ahead or fall behind. The teacher input into the curriculum is non existent, you basically agree to teach using their method and nothing else.

Seating plans - we're allowed to change them in KG every term but the teachers in primary and secondary have no input here.

If anyone is qualified, I'd advise them to look at other schools, your wages will probably be double what SABIS will offer you.

It really depends on the school you're in and what your AQC or Head of Department expects from you. Some will demand weekly lesson plans, some will be a bit more lax about it.

Sounds a bit sh*te when you read all that, and at times it is. They are constantly introducing new things and changing the goalposts (e.g. In the UAE, KG1 have to drill mental maths, which is just getting the kids to say 2+3=5 but not allowing them to learn how to add or to use their fingers to add etc) I could probably fairly accurately say that the majority of people here don't love work, a lot don't like it and some hate it.

But at the end of the day, it affords you a lifestyle that you'd never get at home, I get to spend my weekends in Abu Dhabi or Dubai or Al Ain and I get to travel abroad for Christmas, Easter, Eid and the summer holidays. So it's worth it for me.

Thank you. This is very useful. If you know anything about the SABIS schools in Ras Al Khaimah and Umm Al Quwain I would love to hear about life in those areas. They have given me 3 choices and told me to research them. I have tried to research but I think this forum is the best way to do it as you are all out there experiencing it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

Em.... I wish :)

Salary is a closely guarded thing. You're not supposed to discuss it at all. It's not 2,400 pm, I can tell you that much!! It will be in your contract when you get offered one. You get your first flight out here in the summer and a flight home when you finish the school year. You get paid monthly and you get paid for the summer as well even when you're on holidays. Your flights during the holidays are your own expense. You get basic health insurance but not dental. Accommodation is all paid for, haven't heard of anyone with SABIS paying for electricity. Only bill we have is internet which is about 40 euro a month. The amount of people you share with depends on your school. Some people in some areas live by themselves, others have up to 4 people per house/apartment.

You don't get your bonus unless you complete 2 consecutive years in the same school. After your first year, you get a slight increment in your salary (around 100 - 150 euro per month, depending on your results and your performance evaluation)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mermaidmoment

The Schools don't even have Interactive whiteboard. You will have absolutely no teacher input. Gives you a break from planning but it has its disadvantages because you are just drilling endless facts to the children through workbooks. You are told how many pages of the workbook need to be done each week, and if you don't get it done, you'll be in trouble. In grade one there were times when we had to get 20 pages done a week in maths.. and that's including the children who are no way able to do it. All you are is someone to deliver their curriculum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DaithiBravo

Em.... I wish :)

Salary is a closely guarded thing. You're not supposed to discuss it at all. It's not 2,400 pm, I can tell you that much!! It will be in your contract when you get offered one. You get your first flight out here in the summer and a flight home when you finish the school year. You get paid monthly and you get paid for the summer as well even when you're on holidays. Your flights during the holidays are your own expense. You get basic health insurance but not dental. Accommodation is all paid for, haven't heard of anyone with SABIS paying for electricity. Only bill we have is internet which is about 40 euro a month. The amount of people you share with depends on your school. Some people in some areas live by themselves, others have up to 4 people per house/apartment.

You don't get your bonus unless you complete 2 consecutive years in the same school. After your first year, you get a slight increment in your salary (around 100 - 150 euro per month, depending on your results and your performance evaluation)

I thought as much, I'm undecided between Brazil and Sabis and was only leaning towards Sabis in the hopes that what I had heard was true.

But still you would surely save a lot of those wages if all you're paying for is food, internet and whatever nightlife habits you have.

Thanks 🙌

The bonus you get after 2 years is 3 months salary. Your salary will depend on a lot of things

1: If you're a native English speaker.
    2: What you're teaching.
    3: Your qualifications, for example a PhD/MA will get you a higher salary.

After each year you get 21 days extra pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 loretta1224

Hi guys I've My second interview on Wednesday through skype. Any advice on what they could ask me I would appreciate it? Thanks 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tonto15

Regarding Partners?

If you have a partner but aren't married and take up a position with Sabis, is their anyway your partner can live with you in the accommodation provided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

Hi guys I've My second interview on Wednesday through skype. Any advice on what they could ask me I would appreciate it? Thanks 😀

Aw good luck, I think they will just maybe ask my specific subject questions? I'm guessing because the first one covered so much. Still real confused as haven't heard anything about face to face interviews which was the last thing they mentioned to me! Let us know how you get on 😊

Thank you. This is very useful. If you know anything about the SABIS schools in Ras Al Khaimah and Umm Al Quwain I would love to hear about life in those areas. They have given me 3 choices and told me to research them. I have tried to research but I think this forum is the best way to do it as you are all out there experiencing it now :)
    Hi rachael how was was your second interview? Was there anything specific they asked you? I'm just a little nervous about it? Sorry I can't tell you about those places haven't really looked into those places

Aw good luck, I think they will just maybe ask my specific subject questions? I'm guessing because the first one covered so much. Still real confused as haven't heard anything about face to face interviews which was the last thing they mentioned to me! Let us know how you get on 😊
    Hi thanks for that. I think you should email them because when I heard last spoke to them in december they said j would have face to face interviews and now I am having a Skype on Wednesday I was confused over it too so mabye they are being done over Skype instead of face to face? Will post on here after interview and let you know. Thanks 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Clodagh91

Do you think it is a bad sign that I have yet to be called for a second-round interview?

Clodagh91 wrote: »
    Do you think it is a bad sign that I have yet to be called for a second-round interview?

I'm in the same boat, they pretty much said to me about going to either Dublin or london and what I'd prefer as I live in Scotland so that's what's confusing. I'm not sure about everyone else but I was pretty specific about location so maybe they're waiting to fill the less popular places first. I did email them recently Loretta, they haven't replied :( but good luck and yes let us know how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Clodagh91

Yeah, reading all the updates on this board is making me a little nervous!

My first skype interview seemed to go really well (or so i thought) and then they were asking me to send on all my documents straight away and as it took me a couple of weeks to get all my documents in order to send off they would regularly email to ensure I would be sending them to them, so I thought all this was a good sign. they seemed quite eager.

But after sending off my last document they said Iv'e been shortlisted for final round interviews and to keep posted but iv'e heard nothing and it's been a good few weeks now!

Well fingers crossed anyway, we'll see what happens....

My first skype interview seemed to go really well (or so i thought) and then they were asking me to send on all my documents straight away and as it took me a couple of weeks to get all my documents in order to send off they would regularly email to ensure I would be sending them to them, so I thought all this was a good sign. they seemed quite eager.

But after sending off my last document they said Iv'e been shortlisted for final round interviews and to keep posted but iv'e heard nothing and it's been a good few weeks now!

Hi i dont think its a bad sign they will contact you especially when you have sent all the documents. Good luck with it

I know I feel quite anxious too as I would love to move out to the UAE when I finish my masters in August! I'll keep you updated if I hear anything :) I felt the same way, thought it went really well and they were super keen to get all my documents ASAP! Anyhow, guess it's just a waiting game now :/

Hi rachael how was was your second interview? Was there anything specific they asked you? I'm just a little nervous about it? Sorry I can't tell you about those places haven't really looked into those places

My second interview was me just asking the interviewer loads of questions. If I remember correctly he only asked if I would be prepare to work with younger children because I requested to work with 7+years. I have not heard anything since but that was only Thursday and their weekend in Friday and Saturday so I am not worried yet. Also they will probably waiting for my school references to get back to them as it has been half term here. :)

My second interview was me just asking the interviewer loads of questions. If I remember correctly he only asked if I would be prepared to work with younger children because I requested to work with 7+years. I have not heard anything since but that was only Thursday and their weekend in Friday and Saturday so I am not worried yet. Also they will probably waiting for my school references to get back to them as it has been half term here. :)

My second interview was me just asking the interviewer loads of questions. If I remember correctly he only asked if I would be prepared to work with younger children because I requested to work with 7+years. I have not heard anything since but that was only Thursday and their weekend in Friday and Saturday so I am not worried yet. Also they will probably waiting for my school references to get back to them as it has been half term here. :)
    Thanks very much was your interview long? Will you have face to face interview as well?
    Sorry for all the questions. Best of luck with it 😊

No worries about the questions. I have asked loads on this forum already and it is nice to help others. My interview was about 40 minutes long and they did not mention anything about a face to face interview. In my first interview they said that they might do face to face interviews in March depending if any of the Directors come to England but he didn't mention it again in my 2nd interview.

• Advertisement

Ah right, that makes me feel a bit better coz they asked me all that in my first interview, so maybe all hope isn't lost! Haha! Maybe they have just have up on the face to face ones, which might be nice as I'd have to book flights etc :/

Advertisement