Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 loretta1224

Kagey15 wrote: »
    Is there interviews in Limerick?... I'm from Limerick but have my interview is in Dublin tommorrow!!

Hi yes there is supposed to be interviews in Limerick but haven't heard anything yet. Best of luck with interview😊

emily17 wrote: »
    Hi, my interview is in Dublin! I am not sure when the limerick ones would be but I'm presuming they hold the Dublin ones first if you haven't got a date yet. Are you at all undecided about accepting the job if you are offered one in UAE? Reading previous posts is making me reconsider a lot as there seems to be a lot of negativity about SABIS.

Thanks hopefully I will hear soon. Yes i am still very undecided about accepting the job if offered. The location will be a big factor for me and I am only interested in kindergarten. I am anxious too in regards to the negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kagey15

Hi yes there is supposed to be interviews in Limerick but haven't heard anything yet. Best of luck with interview😊

Thanks a lot fingers crossed... no sure why they are bringing me to Dublin so if that's the case...anyone else from Limerick have an interview in Dublin ??

Kagey15 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot fingers crossed... no sure why they are bringing me to Dublin so if that's the case...anyone else from Limerick have an interview in Dublin ??
    I don't know to be honest I was told two weeks ago over 2nd skype interview that Interviews will be held in Dublin and limerick and I picked limerick . Let us know how you get on

I don't know to be honest I was told two weeks ago over 2nd skype interview that Interviews will be held in Dublin and limerick and I picked limerick . Let us know how you get on

I had my Skype interviews last year maybe that has something to do with it. Will of course let you know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

justback83 wrote: »
    I just received an email from Teachanywhere stating that my qualifications and experience are not relevant for any of the positions they have. Is this because I don't have a HDip in Education? I have a BSc. and PhD...

Teach Anywhere deal with ADEC, and you need a specific qualification in education to work for ADEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ld12345

I had my interview today in the westbury it went well it was myself three others and the SABIS interviewer. Was pretty casual we all introduced ourselves and then were asked some teaching based questions. Why do you want to teach and what makes you sure you will be a success. I would say to have a good knowledge of the SABIS points system and how it all works. After about 20 minutes it was over and we were all offered a position and asked to sign our contracts. Nothing to worry about anyway.

I made the point that i wasn't sure I wanted to sign as I might be going somewhere else. I was told I have got 24 maybe 48 hours to think it over and then send them on a signed contract. Just wondering if I sign the contract and in two months time decide to go elsewhere and not take up the job with SABIS what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lhealy2

hey ID congrats on getting offered a position today, I was speaking with them last Sunday and they are to send me a date for interview this week. Did they tell you where u are going to be placed before u sign contract? Location is going to be a major factor for me. don't know what the story is having signed a contract and then breaking it, I presume u won't be considered for a position again, at worst u may have difficulty working in the UAE again!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 heffo1

ld12345 wrote: »
    I had my interview today in the westbury it went well it was myself three others and the SABIS interviewer. Was pretty casual we all introduced ourselves and then were asked some teaching based questions. Why do you want to teach and what makes you sure you will be a success. I would say to have a good knowledge of the SABIS points system and how it all works. After about 20 minutes it was over and we were all offered a position and asked to sign our contracts. Nothing to worry about anyway.

I made the point that i wasn't sure I wanted to sign as I might be going somewhere else. I was told I have got 24 maybe 48 hours to think it over and then send them on a signed contract. Just wondering if I sign the contract and in two months time decide to go elsewhere and not take up the job with SABIS what would happen.

When they offered you the position, did they say what location? I have my interview tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

ld12345 wrote: »

Congrats! As others have asked, I would also be curious to find out if they told you where you would be placed...as I won't be signing a contract not knowing where I'm going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lukedooley

This is ld12345 on an old profile having problems signing in on the new one i set up,

After the job was offered to me, we were all asked to give our top four preferences on locations and told we would find out were we are going in the next 4-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

justback83 wrote: »
    I just received an email from Teachanywhere stating that my qualifications and experience are not relevant for any of the positions they have. Is this because I don't have a HDip in Education? I have a BSc. and PhD...

There's a guy in my school who has a PhD. He gets paid a lot too.

I know a lot of people had interviews today, how did they go? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cathy003

I had mine today.. It was fine, quite informal and relaxed! :) We just had to say an introduction each and then we were asked individual questions! I had looked over alot of the info they gave us on the pdf sheets but the questions were all teaching scenario based, about what you think makes a good teacher and how you would control a disruptive class. It lasted 40mins! We were then asked to list our top 4 location preferences.. And then we signed the contract :) The guy who interviewed us was neil.. he was really friendly!

Cathy003 wrote: »
    I had mine today.. It was fine, quite informal and relaxed! :) We just had to say an introduction each and then we were asked individual questions! I had looked over alot of the info they gave us on the pdf sheets but the questions were all teaching scenario based, about what you think makes a good teacher and how you would control a disruptive class. It lasted 40mins! We were then asked to list our top 4 location preferences.. And then we signed the contract :) The guy who interviewed us was neil.. he was really friendly!

Congrats! That's exciting :) thanks for the tips (if they ever get around to interviews in the UK!) Also, did they say much else about locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tonto15

So you signed a contract without knowing location??what if you sign the contract and are then located in a place you don't like??I would rather know location before signing contract.my interview is Thursday. Why can't they just offer a location??

Tonto15 wrote: »
    So you signed a contract without knowing location??what if you sign the contract and are then located in a place you don't like??I would rather know location before signing contract.my interview is Thursday. Why can't they just offer a location??

Congrats by the way 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 13 emily17

I'm in the same position! I have my interview tomorrow but I really don't want to sign the contract without knowing the location!!

Just heard today my interview is on Thursday morn, and like u guys freaking out about signing before I know location, if I end up being offered desert I can't see myself going. So what happens once contract signed? Reading through contract looks like if u don't show up in UAE on given date they can follow u for half years salary! Ouch

Lhealy2 wrote: »
    Just heard today my interview is on Thursday morn, and like u guys freaking out about signing before I know location, if I end up being offered desert I can't see myself going. So what happens once contract signed? Reading through contract looks like if u don't show up in UAE on given date they can follow u for half years salary! Ouch

I'm in the same boat as you. During my interview tomorrow morning I'm going to ask if I sign the contract will I be guaranteed one of my preferred locations. So I can let you know how I get on.

Also, for whoever has already had the interview were the locations the countries or was it specific locations, eg the UAE or was it the cities, Dubai / Abu Dhabi? Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Cathy003

Thanks guys :)

Yeah I wasn't thrilled about not knowing the location either but I just decided to hope for the best :/ Emily17 It was specific locations like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Oman etc.

Don't stress about the interview, there was three other girls in my interview and all four of us got contracts so I think if your asked to the face to face its kinda a done deal :)

Best of luck!

I'm in the same boat as you. During my interview tomorrow morning I'm going to ask if I sign the contract will I be guaranteed one of my preferred locations. So I can let you know how I get on.

Also, for whoever has already had the interview were the locations the countries or was it specific locations, eg the UAE or was it the cities, Dubai / Abu Dhabi? Thank you!

Yes good question, I would be keen to hear what they say regarding if you would be guaranteed one of the choices!

Thanks guys :)

Yeah I wasn't thrilled about not knowing the location either but I just decided to hope for the best :/ Emily17 It was specific locations like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Oman etc.

Don't stress about the interview, there was three other girls in my interview and all four of us got contracts so I think if your asked to the face to face its kinda a done deal :)

Best of luck!

Thanks a mill for the feedback!! I'm hoping for Abu Dhabi or Dubai so I'm worried about writing down 4 preferences seen as I really only want to end up in either of the two places!

Congrats on getting it :)

Yes good question, I would be keen to hear what they say regarding if you would be guaranteed one of the choices!

I'll let you know how I get on and what their feedback is! I think I'll be asking for 24hours to think about it before signing anyways, just to give me a bit of time to research other locations bar Abu Dhabi and Dubai !

I'll let you know how I get on and what their feedback is! I think I'll be asking for 24hours to think about it before signing anyways, just to give me a bit of time to research other locations bar Abu Dhabi and Dubai !

Good luck tomorrow, Abu Dhabi and Dhabi are where I'm looking to go too. There is a good Facebook page from last years applicants think its called sabis 2014 with some great info on different places they were offered. Ya let us know how u get on.

Lhealy2 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow, Abu Dhabi and Dhabi are where I'm looking to go too. There is a good Facebook page from last years applicants think its called sabis 2014 with some great info on different places they were offered. Ya let us know how u get on.

Yeah I'm getting the impression from people that if your first year out there you don't get Dubai or Abu Dhabi so I'm going to look into the other places too. Looks like there are actually some nice places along the coast of UAE and one place like only 20 mins from Dubai called Sharjah... Could be alright I'm starting to think! good luck all tomorrow/Thursday and keep in touch! Hopefully us in the UK will hear soon about our interviews!

What if you just put down one preference like I did in my application. Then sign a contract. Can you be located anywhere by them after you sign?? So if you sign and end up in the middle of nowhere and don't want to go you get stung for 1/2 years salary?

Hi Guys,

Like a few others, had my interview yesterday. To clarify on a few points - You definitely do not know where you are being posted before you sign the contract. Neil (interviewer) said that it could be up to 8 weeks before you find out. You must give him four choices. I asked him what influence we would have over our choice and he said that they will most likely position you in one of your four choices.

With a lot of candidates choosing Abu Dhabi/Dubai I'd say places there will be limited so choose your other two wisely. I chose Sharjah and Al Ain - not a million miles away from the other two. If you are very unsure about places maybe taking the 24 hours to decide and do some background check on places you might like to go would be a good idea or else do it before you get to interview, because the longer you leave it (if you are definite you are going) the less chance you will have of getting your preference.

In regards to being penalised should you change your mind prior to departure Neil said they don't come after you for any reimbursment - it is in the contract as a deterrent. however should you travel out there and after a week or two decide its not for you then you will have to reimburse the cost of flights. which is fair enough because you should have definitely made you mind up before packing your bags and getting on a plane and at least stick it out till christmas.

And just to reitirate guys its in your interest to choose the 4 places yourself and narrow the possibility of them sending you somewhere you really don't want to be. i know it is no guarantee but take every opportunity you can.

The interview itself was very informal and relaxed with most of the questions already covered in above posts. he also asked how you would present yourself from day one and gain the respect of the class. - Things to focus on here are that it is not "your" class and focus on their ethos of inclusivity and instead realise it is "Our' And one more that may pop up is - What is the single most important thing for teaching? - Preparation - preparation. Other than that you should be cool. Interviewer is a good guy so just relax and if this is something you really really want to do - Enjoy every second of it (",)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 heffo1

Had my interview yesterday too with Sean Cooney, like what kagey15 said, its informal and there are a few of you interviewed together which kind of helps too, just know your stuff from the Points Method to academic support officers, student life officers etc etc just know what they are and what they do which you will probably already know from the skype interview. Also we were asked why we feel we would be good for the role, so have little speech like that prepared. And in regards where you will be placed, Al Ain, Abu Dhabi and Dubai are all within an hour and a half of each other, so they are all easy to get to! I picked Al Ain as my first choice, he mentioned there is a higher turnover in the bigger schools in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, so maybe the less popular places like Al Ain and Sharjah might be nicer to work in, (thats just my opinion though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

what kind of money are these jobs in UAE paying? And is it too late to apply?

Advertisement