Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

It's not too late to reply, I only applied in May/June really.

I admire anyone who signs without knowing the location. For all you know you'll end up in Saudi. If you're a woman you'll be in for a pretty ****ty time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 zb2311

Guys this might be a stupid question but is the 'international school of choueifat' a number of different schools around the UAE or the one that is in dubai?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 zb2311

Muahahaha wrote: »
    what kind of money are these jobs in UAE paying? And is it too late to apply?

Hey its not too late and you've got nothing to lose if it is. Just be aware that it takes a while for you to get your references and your police clearance :) but go for it you may aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

zb2311 wrote: »
    Guys this might be a stupid question but is the 'international school of choueifat' a number of different schools around the UAE or the one that is in dubai?

There are many both in the UAE and around the whole gulf region and further beyond too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jmurtagh3858

Is anyone else still waiting on a date for an interview to go to UAE in August? Or can anyone help me? I applied back in December/January sent in my application and all required documents but havent been offered an interview date yet. During my skype interview, the interviewer told me that I would hear in late February about a face to face interview. I know interviews are going on at the min in Dublin so just worrying I wont get offered an interview! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Georgie Berkeley

Is anyone else still waiting on a date for an interview to go to UAE in August? Or can anyone help me? I applied back in December/January sent in my application and all required documents but havent been offered an interview date yet. During my skype interview, the interviewer told me that I would hear in late February about a face to face interview. I know interviews are going on at the min in Dublin so just worrying I wont get offered an interview! :/

At the end of my Skype interview in mid-Jan, I was told that they'd contact me about a face-to-face interview, which would "probably take place in March". I haven't been invited to one. Mind you, I wasn't exactly prompt when it came to submitting my docs. Moreover, I'm not sure whether they received a reply from the third of my referees. As that indicates, I kinda lost interest in working for them and didn't follow up on the application. Still, the least you would expect is a "thanks, but no thanks" mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lhealy2

hey I was in the same position, I heard they were having face to face interviews and I hadn't heard back so I emailed them to ask if interviews were taking place and to see if they needed anything else, they got back to me the next day with interview date, which was today and I got offered the position. Just wondering is everyone here new graduates?

Lhealy2 wrote: »
    hey I was in the same position, I heard they were having face to face interviews and I hadn't heard back so I emailed them to ask if interviews were taking place and to see if they needed anything else, they got back to me the next day with interview date, which was today and I got offered the position. Just wondering is everyone here new graduates?

Thanks m8! Do you know why it took them so long to offer you an interview date? I dont see a problem with my application other than maybe with my referees but all 3 told me that they completed the reference form and sent it back. Did they have any problems with contacting your referees do you know? Im so worried I wont get an interview offer :'( Yes, Im a graduate- graduated from uni in September!

Fair play! I might email them tomorrow with the same questions. Certainly not a new grad, much as I hate to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TacAide

Hi lads,

Just had my interview today with Neil Smooker, and I choose the 24 hours to really research where I would to go, said he would email us a few hours after the interview but nothing yet, just wondering is anyone else in the same boat waiting for a reply from him.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Where are you based? I'm in the same boat and am in the UK- I emailed last week and they replied saying they would be in touch very soon.

Where are you based? I'm in the same boat and am in the UK- I emailed last week and they replied saying they would be in touch very soon.

Im applying from Ireland. I emailed them the other day and asked for an update on the status of my application and I didnt get a reply yet. Does anyone know how long the interviews go on for in Dublin that are taking place at the minute? or will there be more interviews at a later stage but before August? Any help appreciated!

Thanks m8! Do you know why it took them so long to offer you an interview date? I dont see a problem with my application other than maybe with my referees but all 3 told me that they completed the reference form and sent it back. Did they have any problems with contacting your referees do you know? Im so worried I wont get an interview offer :'( Yes, Im a graduate- graduated from uni in September!

Don't know why they didn't get back sooner, I knew my they had contacted my referees but I still haven't got my Garda vetting form back, I just said I'd email them to see at what stage application process was at. I've heard they are slow to respond, I wouldn't panic yet, they have interviews to do in limerick yet. Ya happy to be offered position but like u Georgie not a graduate turned 30 last week!!, I've friends my age over there but was just wondering what's age profile of applicants, I presume most are new graduates!

Don't know why they didn't get back sooner, I knew my they had contacted my referees but I still haven't got my Garda vetting form back, I just said I'd email them to see at what stage application process was at. I've heard they are slow to respond, I wouldn't panic yet, they have interviews to do in limerick yet. Ya happy to be offered position but like u Georgie not a graduate turned 30 last week!!, I've friends my age over there but was just wondering what's age profile of applicants, I presume most are new graduates!

30, sure you're only a pup! I've a couple of years on you. Tell me, have you decided to accept their offer?

Thanks! Do you know when interviews are taking place? Apart from the ones in Dublin at the minute. I chose Dublin as my interview destination when I was asked during my skype interview- would this prevent me from being offered an interview in Limerick or somewhere else at a later date? Ive heard that there are 200 places this year. Maybe I should email them again to ask about my application?

30, sure you're only a pup! I've a couple of years on you. Tell me, have you decided to accept their offer?

Thanks didn't feel like that today at interviews:) ya I decided to accept, was worried about being put in a location I wasn't happy about but he said we would only be placed in one of our four preferences so I put Abu Dhabi first, Dubai, Sharjah and al Ain so will know in 6-8 weeks.

Thanks! Do you know when interviews are taking place? Apart from the ones in Dublin at the minute. I chose Dublin as my interview destination when I was asked during my skype interview- would this prevent me from being offered an interview in Limerick or somewhere else at a later date? Ive heard that there are 200 places this year. Maybe I should email them again to ask about my application?

Not sure when Limerick ones are on, I defiantly think you should email them again and ask them when are interviews being scheduled for.

Thanks didn't feel like that today at interviews:) ya I decided to accept, was worried about being put in a location I wasn't happy about but he said we would only be placed in one of our four preferences so I put Abu Dhabi first, Dubai, Sharjah and al Ain so will know in 6-8 weeks.

That sounds reasonable enough. Any one of those would be fine, I'm sure. The fear would be getting marooned in Oman, but, if the man is true to his word, that won't be an issue for you. I'd given up on the whole idea, to be honest; then the rain today gave me pause for thought.

If you look back at some of the earlier posts in this thread, you'll see that they interviewed people for Aug/Sept 2014 starts in both May and June of last year. So, I wouldn't say they've finished interviewing just yet.

Anyone able to tell me when interviews are scheduled from previous years? From posts on boards from 2009 the interview schedule seems to be quite similar.

• Advertisement

If you look back at some of the earlier posts in this thread, you'll see that they held interviews for Aug. 2014 starts in mid-May of last year. So, I wouldn't say they're finished interviewing just yet.

Thanks! Fingers crossed its the same this year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 omahonrm

I applied and had my interview a few weeks ago and sent off my documents. I hadn't heard anything so i emailed yesterday ans they replied and told me i was on their list for second interviews and they would be in touch soon. I have to do my secibd interview by skype tho as im working abroad atm.

In terms of location, i had a friend who worked in Muscat for sabis and loved it. I also know others rate qatar pretty highly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Erris89

Hi there, I've been offered a school with my contract after 2 Skype interviews. I expected a face to face interview and was surprised when they contacted me for another Skype interview on the 16th of feb! They offered me a position in isc Manama in bahrain the following week and I had 2days to send the contract back! I was afraid that if I didn't take the offer I might not be offered another school!
    Is anyone else goin to bahrain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lukedooley

TacAide wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Just had my interview today with Neil Smooker, and I choose the 24 hours to really research where I would to go, said he would email us a few hours after the interview but nothing yet, just wondering is anyone else in the same boat waiting for a reply from him.

Thanks

I had my interview Monday the 9th and I asked for 24 hours to think it over, on Tuesday I had an email from Neil asking me to make a decision. I decided to go for it and signed the contract and everything and scanned it and sent it on to him. I havn't heard anything back since I sent it on but I get the feeling its how SABIS works I wont hear anything till 8 weeks time when they tell me where I will be working.

I chose Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Al Ain in that order. Would be delighted to get Dubai or Abu Dhabi but I dont think I would accept a job in Al Ain or Sharjah. Just from my own research I don't think I would like to live in either of them. Sharjah because of the whole alchohol ban and the clothes you have to wear etc. I would be turned off Al Ain because its so far away from the coast and very close to Oman. I could be completley wrong though just dont want to turn up there and hate it.

lukedooley wrote: »
    I had my interview Monday the 9th and I asked for 24 hours to think it over, on Tuesday I had an email from Neil asking me to make a decision. I decided to go for it and signed the contract and everything and scanned it and sent it on to him. I havn't heard anything back since I sent it on but I get the feeling its how SABIS works I wont hear anything till 8 weeks time when they tell me where I will be working.

I chose Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Al Ain in that order. Would be delighted to get Dubai or Abu Dhabi but I dont think I would accept a job in Al Ain or Sharjah. Just from my own research I don't think I would like to live in either of them. Sharjah because of the whole alchohol ban and the clothes you have to wear etc. I would be turned off Al Ain because its so far away from the coast and very close to Oman. I could be completley wrong though just dont want to turn up there and hate it.

I think once you sign it you kinda have to go where they send you... That's what I'm getting from people who have gone to the face to face interviews...

... I could be completley wrong though just dont want to turn up there and hate it.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. A lot of teachers leave after one term, or two. Some even left after 3 weeks. They say you'll have to compensate them X amount of money, but you don't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lukedooley

Yeah like somebody said in previous point the wording in the contract that you will have to compensate them if you sign and dont take it is just their for a deterrant. If I don't go they won't have bank details of mine I can't see them sending debt collectors to my door.

Yeah like somebody said in previous point the wording in the contract that you will have to compensate them if you sign and dont take it is just their for a deterrant. If I don't go they won't have bank details of mine I can't see them sending debt collectors to my door.

Not a chance, they're too busy not replying to prospective employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HeronymusBotch

Hi everyone,

I just have a few quick general questions and I'd be glad if you could help.

So I'm graduating this year with a bachelors and I'll have the CELTA done by July, I'm just about to start sending out cvs and I wanted to ask a few things first.

1. Is it better to apply to schools directly?

2. Will the fact that I have no experience make a huge difference to my salary(i.e. could I still save)?

3. Am I too late?

I would love to head out to UAE and spend a year or two there and I'm looking around to get some contact with people who could share their experience. If I get a job based on any of your possible replies I will guarantee payment of 1 Beamish in the Mutton Lane or other public house of equal calibre

Cheers everyone, and good luck to all already on their way!

• Advertisement

It's not better to apply to sabis schools directly.

Experience doesn't matter, you don't even need a teaching qualification. An MA will get you maybe 100 extra a month max. A PhD could potentially double your salary.

You're not even close to being too late.

G'luck!

Advertisement