Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fudgey1994

Have you an education degree yourself? Did they say when they'd be in contact with you again?
    mairead112 wrote: »
    Had my face to face there today and from what I saw, people going for primary teaching or whatever with education degrees had contracts with them. He said it is harder to get teaching licenses in UAE for people without an education degree so if you're doing the general TEFL program that's probably why. Interview was more like a chat, they just want to see if you have the right personality. Really grand, sound Australian man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mairead112

Fudgey1994 wrote: »
    Have you an education degree yourself? Did they say when they'd be in contact with you again?

I don't, but I have TEFL as part of my undergrad. So I wasn't sent a contract and he said it could be six weeks before we hear back, as the UAE authorities have gotten stricter with giving out teaching licenses, so I'd say they're waiting to see how that's going to pan out before offering non-education graduates a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lyons_92

I had my face to face this morning with Neil Smooker! It went well was really more of a chat than anything just asked you to talk about yourself! Then he had a couple of questions relating to teaching like what separates an outstanding teacher from a good teacher. He also had an example of a child misbehaving in class and asked how would you handle the situation. All in all in was grand lasted about an hour. He did say the people who got contracts sent to them was because they either have teaching experience or and English degree and that we would hear from them in 6-8 weeks depending on who signs the contracts from the face to face interview and who resigns over there. So it's back to the waiting game again!!!

lyons_92 wrote: »
    I had my face to face this morning with Neil Smooker! It went well was really more of a chat than anything just asked you to talk about yourself! Then he had a couple of questions relating to teaching like what separates an outstanding teacher from a good teacher. He also had an example of a child misbehaving in class and asked how would you handle the situation. All in all in was grand lasted about an hour. He did say the people who got contracts sent to them was because they either have teaching experience or and English degree and that we would hear from them in 6-8 weeks depending on who signs the contracts from the face to face interview and who resigns over there. So it's back to the waiting game again!!!

More or less what he said to me! Really hope I get this, wanted to do it ever since Sean Cooney came to UL in October! Good luck :)

mairead112 wrote: »
    More or less what he said to me! Really hope I get this, wanted to do it ever since Sean Cooney came to UL in October! Good luck :)
    Me too have wanted to do this for about the past 2 years but haven't got as far as a face to face interview so really hoping it works out this time...fingers crossed!!! Thank you and best of luck to you too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭figrolls123

Fingers crossed for you guys! My interview is in the morning. Any tips on what to prepare? What subjects are you guys hoping to teach?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rachw444

Glad it went well for ye. Good luck 😊🍀

Fingers crossed for you guys! My interview is in the morning. Any tips on what to prepare? What subjects are you guys hoping to teach?
    I had Neil and he really just gets you to talk about yourself so if you have any experience with kids bring that in other than that he has a couple of questions about teaching like what makes an outstanding teacher. He asked me can I think of any teacher I had in the past that stood out for me in their teaching methods and personality and how they helped the class. He did have an example on a child who was misbehaving in class and asked how would you handle the situation he could have an different example tomorrow but ours was the child couldn't sit still and you were half way through the year and this was still happening what would you do. Other than that is basically a chat to get to know you it was pretty relaxed to be fair. I don't know what Sean was like but people seems to be laughing with him during the interviews so I'd say he was pretty relaxed too. Neil kinda implied that if we were sussessful we would be teaching infants so I think unless you have teaching experience or English degree it'll be infants otherwise you may get a choice. Best of luck tomorrow you'll be fine :)

I had Neil and he really just gets you to talk about yourself so if you have any experience with kids bring that in other than that he has a couple of questions about teaching like what makes an outstanding teacher. He asked me can I think of any teacher I had in the past that stood out for me in their teaching methods and personality and how they helped the class. He did have an example on a child who was misbehaving in class and asked how would you handle the situation he could have an different example tomorrow but ours was the child couldn't sit still and you were half way through the year and this was still happening what would you do. Other than that is basically a chat to get to know you it was pretty relaxed to be fair. I don't know what Sean was like but people seems to be laughing with him during the interviews so I'd say he was pretty relaxed too. Neil kinda implied that if we were sussessful we would be teaching infants so I think unless you have teaching experience or English degree it'll be infants otherwise you may get a choice. Best of luck tomorrow you'll be fine :)

Thanks a million for all this! I've prepared answers for all you've mentioned, read over handbook I and II and read over my application form again. I don't think there's much more that can be done at this stage. I'm applying as a music graduate and have been sent the contract so I assume they've me down as a potential music teacher. Either way I don't mind to be honest. It'd be great just to have the experience!

Thanks a million for all this! I've prepared answers for all you've mentioned, read over handbook I and II and read over my application form again. I don't think there's much more that can be done at this stage. I'm applying as a music graduate and have been sent the contract so I assume they've me down as a potential music teacher. Either way I don't mind to be honest. It'd be great just to have the experience!
    I can't imagine it will be too different for you tomorrow they might ask slightly different questions just to change it up a little but won't be too of the mark. The possibly have you down as a music teacher but I'm sure they'll tell you more when in with them for the interview! Best of luck :)

• Advertisement

I can't imagine it will be too different for you tomorrow they might ask slightly different questions just to change it up a little but won't be too of the mark. The possibly have you down as a music teacher but I'm sure they'll tell you more when in with them for the interview! Best of luck :)

Thanks a million! Fingers crossed, eek! I'll let ye know how it goes anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

My interview is next Monday in Dublin. I'm doing an English degree, so that's probably why I've had the contract sent out to me already? I know a girl that got it today though and she's doing a food science degree so it probably just depends on whether or not they like you in the interview! Super nervous.

Had my interview today and was offered a job. It's a group interview, more like a chat. I think if you're sent the contract you'll be offered the job at the end of the interview unless you seriously mess up. Have 4 locations in mind!

Had my interview today and was offered a job. It's a group interview, more like a chat. I think if you're sent the contract you'll be offered the job at the end of the interview unless you seriously mess up. Have 4 locations in mind!

Fair play figrolls. Many doing interviews?

Breifne72 wrote: »
    Fair play figrolls. Many doing interviews?

There was a good few! About 3-4 in each group (2 groups at a time).

Congratulations on getting offered a job!

Congratulations on the job offer figrolls 😊 are they all group interviews ?

Thanks guys! I think they are. It's actually less intimidating than one-on-one interviews. You'll be sitting with the others in your group before it starts so you have an opportunity to break the ice. The people in my group were really nice as well which really made me feel at ease before it started. Honestly you'll be fine! :)

I can't wait to have it done! Although I keep telling people I'm going to Dubai, even though the chances of actually going to Dubai on your first job is v slim! :rolleyes::pac:

Breifne72 wrote: »
    I can't wait to have it done! Although I keep telling people I'm going to Dubai, even though the chances of actually going to Dubai on your first job is v slim! :rolleyes::pac:

Same here! You never really know what subject teachers they need though and you get to stick down 4 options in your application so it does increase the chances a little I'm sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Amal08

Does anyone know if they'll be holding interviews in England, I feel somewhat left out lol? I've sent off my application and video cv now just waiting on a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mercek

Anyone from the US trying to get a job with them? Had my second skype interview an hour ago. Didn't get an offer or anything. The guy was actually quite awkward. I REALLY want to teach in the UAE, Qatar, Oman, Jordan, or Bahrain.

People who have interviewed before and had to wait to get offered a contract, how long did you have to wait? Or are those of us who weren't offered the contract during the interview in with a very low chance of getting a contract at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Serafina_jah

Has anybody had an interview with Mr.Ousamma Khoury?

I have mine with him at 11 on Thursday .. I don't know of anybody else that's had him yet tho

Had my interview with Sean Cooney in Dublin today. That guy Oussama was there too, but just sat and observed. The interview is grand IMO! Glad to be done anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fudgey1994

Has anybody had Ms. Mira Abu Rustum? Mines at 9am on Wednesday with her!

Did you have a contract going up? What kind of questions did they ask? Was it a group one aswell ? Sorry for all the questions 😂

Rachw444 wrote: »
    Did you have a contract going up? What kind of questions did they ask? Was it a group one aswell ? Sorry for all the questions 😂

Yea they emailed me a contract 2 weeks ago. There was 4 of us there for the interview. Sean Cooney introduced himself and told us a bit about his background and history with Sabis. He asked us to introduce ourselves, why we want to teach, something that interests us about the Sabis system etc. About half an hour in total, just a chat really. He's actually lovely 😀 i was v nervous, but there was no need to be. You pick 4 places you'd like to go and you 100% get one of them. Out of the 4 of us there, three taking 48 hours to consider the offer and one person signed there and then. Im taking the time so I can consider the location preferences. 🙈 Hope that's helpful 😂

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for that, it's really helpful. Congratulations on being offered it 😊 what locations did u ask for ?

Advertisement