Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Bumpers and Trim

• 10-03-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi

What should I use to restore my plastic bumpers and trim back to a black finish, thay have gone a patchy grey over time. Have tried various products from motor factors but they are not very successful. Is there a professional product that valeting companies use ?

Corkbuoy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Id start with Back To Black, its about €5 a can, you spray it on, great results but depending on how bad they have discoloured you might need to use it everytime you wash the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Autoglym vinyl and rubber care is good for this. You'll need to put on a few coats. If they're gone too bad nothing will help them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Peanut butter works a treat:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

kdevitt wrote: »
    Autoglym vinyl and rubber care is good for this. You'll need to put on a few coats. If they're gone too bad nothing will help them though.

I agree, but if isnt that bad you dont have to put loads on. Works really well too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

groundnut oil is fantastic for this. Its the active component that makes peanut butter do the job. You'll get it in any good supermarket for about €2 a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Mc Love wrote: »
    I agree, but if isnt that bad you dont have to put loads on. Works really well too

Yes ur correct lads vinyl gel from autosmart is also excellent. It used to come in 5 litre can im not sure if you can get it still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Heat Gun!

If your confident in removing the bumper you can do it carefully, If not you can still do it with the bumper on but be very careful not to bubble the paint

I've done it to a Ka and a Corsa which had both turned practically grey, brought them back to life

look it up on youtube, a lot of videos demonstrating it

another option that you can only buy from Igoe via their Upkeepers site is a product called Polytrol, €20 for 1litre tin

Haven't tried it yet and they give little information, but the before and after pics look great

http://www.upkeepers.co.uk/Product/01081

I don't like that black to black, tested it on a few things I'd lying around and never really dried, very glossy too

Advertisement