Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my tyre b0rked?

• 10-03-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Slid into a kerb during the ice, bent the wheel, and I'm wondering if the tyre is still salvageable.

Your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I wouldn't use it - sidewall damage is the worst kind of damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

personally, i would dump it.....

sidewall damaged, potential for blow out.....
    not a risk i would take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'd have to agree with the others for the sake of 40-60 euro you'd ensure no blow out which could result in thousands worth of damage....or death :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is the sidewall actually damaged though? Bring it to a fast fit and ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The force that was big enough to produce such a sizeable dent in the rim was certainly big enough to rip a few strands of the sidewall fabric.

Flowerpot material or sileage cover, that is all it's good for.

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    Bring it to a fast fit and ask them.

They wouldn't have a clue about how much actual damage was caused. Of course they'd recommend new tyres regardless - their job is to sell tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

If you're really stuck, take it off the wheel, clean it and examine thoroughly inside and out.
    I'd be amazed if there wasn't any damage though, and i'd always err on the side of caution when it comes to tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It may or may not be damaged, who really can tell? Just replace it, the price of a new tyre is alot less than the potential risk of getting a blowout due to a compremised side wall, I simply would not take the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

strange as it seems that looks ok. Is it still inflated?
    I see no cut to the sidewall, i see no bulge indicating structural damage (if inflated)
    Only way to tell for sure is have a good look and feel around the tyre, inside and out, before mounting on the new wheel and the outside after inflation.
    Seen them look a lot worse and be ok. think of the impact it takes at 100kmh into a big pothole and many are unscathed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With that brand of tyre I wouldn't put it on a wheel barrow, pre collision with the kerb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sidewall looks like it'll have been stressed in the wrong direction, it also looks like a budget tyre. Bin it. The wheel is going to cost more than the tyre anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

The tyre is still fully inflated. Got myself a new wheel for a tenner from Traynors, that came with a tyre on it as well, which will do for a spare.

The reason I'm asking is that I really couldn't afford a new tyre right now, even though I know the cost of it, so there's no need to be making jokes about the type of tyre I buy, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

If it's not damaged now it will be when you attempt to remove it, the bead won't get around the rim in that shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭mikewest

With that kind of thump, replace the tyre before driving. You might be able to get a good used one for handy money if you ring around.

More importantly what state is your steering in after that thump (I presume that was on the front).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

wet-paint wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Slid into a kerb during the ice, bent the wheel, and I'm wondering if the tyre is still salvageable.

Your opinions?

Perfectly fine if you want to die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

With that brand of tyre I wouldn't put it on a wheel barrow, pre collision with the kerb.

why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Take it from someone who suffered a blow out at 60mph you don't f**k about with tyres. I was lucky not to be serioulsy hurt. It blew while over taking. Don't know how I didn't hit the other car. I always remember it while driving past the spot where it happened and thats 14 years ago. A wheel and tyre for a tenner sounds like a recipe for disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'd give it a try if I was in the OP's situation.

From the pics the tyre looks ok to me, and as said it still holds pressure. I'd get it put on the new wheel, inflated, and carefully check again for any bulging, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You'll regret putting the tyre back on when the sidewall blows in a few weeks. A lot harder to control than a regular puncture too. It's a cheaper tyre too, so even more risk of damage. False economy not to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The tyre beading is probably bent so it may not sit on the new rim properly. If the side wall takes any impact it has been weakened, it doesn't need to be visible on the outside either.

I think you are gambling if you contemplate reusing this tyre, you are probably equally gambling using the tyre from the breaker's yard. I know you are probably caught for money but is it really worth driving the car putting yourself & others in potential danger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

The tyre beading is probably bent so it may not sit on the new rim properly. If the side wall takes any impact it has been weakened
    I agree the beading may be bent but your other statement does not hold up, by that criteria you hit a pothole and you should change the tyre.
    if the wall has been weakened it will manifest itself by bulging. if it does not bulge the cords that reinforce the rubber are sound.

congo_90 wrote: »
    why not?

"Made in PRC"

Need I explain more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

"Made in PRC"

Need I explain more?

*sigh*

We've been down this road so many times...

*yawn*

Advertisement