Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddys Day in Portlaoise??

Options
  • 10-03-2010 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Just saw signs in town for a parade on the 21st??wtf??

Is there nothing on paddys day-most defo not going to port that parade is a joke!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

there is a 5k fun run on that morning............which i can't do because of injury:(

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I think it was more to do with the fact that the town got ahead of themselves prior to the All Ireland Club semi-final which they thought they would win, and thus having a final on Paddy's Day. Thats my take on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Kingdom wrote: »
    I think it was more to do with the fact that the town got ahead of themselves prior to the All Ireland Club semi-final which they thought they would win, and thus having a final on Paddy's Day. Thats my take on it anyway.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

LeahBaby wrote: »
    Just saw signs in town for a parade on the 21st??wtf??

You must have been under a rock for the past number of weeks.

It was moved because of the possibility of Portlaoise being in the club all-Ireland final.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/Portlaoise-postpone-Paddy39s-Day-Parade.5995247.jp

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columnists/frank-roche/parade-debacle-aided-kilmurry-admits-mulligan-2073938.html

It was in the leinster express and the Nationalist(non sport sections)

It was pretty much across all national media outlets(sporting sections) including interviews on the Eamonn Keane and off the balls shows on newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Quoting the Leinster. Good man Blanc. :)

Most cities in America don't celebrate on the 17th unless it happens to be on a weekend. They usually have their St. Patrick Day's festivities on the weekend prior to the 17th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Most cities in America don't celebrate on the 17th unless it happens to be on a weekend. They usually have their St. Patrick Day's festivities on the weekend prior to the 17th.

Slightly different when its our own national holiday though. Really don't know what the organisers were thinking. Its not as if the masses were bothering their holes to follow the Portlaoise team thus far, is it? I for one won't be going near the place on Sunday week, I'll celebrate my national holiday on the 17th, thank you very much!!

• Advertisement

Kenteach wrote: »
    Slightly different when its our own national holiday though. Really don't know what the organisers were thinking. Its not as if the masses were bothering their holes to follow the Portlaoise team thus far, is it? I for one won't be going near the place on Sunday week, I'll celebrate my national holiday on the 17th, thank you very much!!

I totally agree. Don't get me wrong, I'm celebrating on the 17th! The parade is always ****e anyway! I haven't cared for it since I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭srvhead

Iolar wrote: »
    Believe it or not some of us arent GAA fanatics :P

Too right Iolar. I find the whole idea of moving the parade to a different day very nanny state and condescending, assuming the whole of laois would have headed off to crokers after assuming Portlaoise were going to win... even if one of their players got sent off after 20 seconds in the previous match. Assume makes an ASS of U amd ME! Its going to be on a sunday so monday is a working day like thursday! One of the excuses wheeled out was on the lines of they were able to get marching bands that were already booked up for the 17th. I wonder why! Based on that logic I think i'll go to sunday mass on monday afternoon as I'll be guaranteed my favourite seat. Nevermind there won't even be a priest there. Anyway, i'm taking the missus to Tullamore next wednesday to watch the Biffoland parade!!!!! Bejabus, sport religion and politics certainly do mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

instead of moaning on boards about it why dont ye do something about it?? there planning on keeping it on the sunday because there floats and bands that are over for the bigger parades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Nothing much can be done at this stage, too much organisation done already. They are also relying on participants from some of tomorrow's parades elsewhere being in the Portlaoise one on Sunday. So a good old moan is about all people can do, apart from voting with feet and finding a decent alternative tomorrow and staying away on Sunday. I for one will be taking both options.

Advertisement