Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.8GB in under a day on HERO

Options
  • 10-03-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭

Went to Meteor store yesterday to get my upgrade, went for the Hero, picked it up around 11am, added the unlimited data bundle as wanted to be on the safe side.

Set it up yesterday to work off wi-fi at home, and if no wi-fi signal could be found to go through meteor, didn't leave house yesterday so wi-fi available at all times.

Went onto Meteor site this morning to check that the numpty's had put on the unlimited (just don't trust them :rolleyes:) and to my utter amazement i was down as having used 5.8GB of my 10 GB allowance :eek::eek::eek:

I watched no movies, didn't connect to Youtube, just arsed about a bit checking emails and on facebook

Rang them this morning and they said they'd look into it.

Can this be right? 5.8GB in less than a day for a Hero???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

scudzilla wrote: »
    Went to Meteor store yesterday to get my upgrade, went for the Hero, picked it up around 11am, added the unlimited data bundle as wanted to be on the safe side.

Set it up yesterday to work off wi-fi at home, and if no wi-fi signal could be found to go through meteor, didn't leave house yesterday so wi-fi available at all times.

Went onto Meteor site this morning to check that the numpty's had put on the unlimited (just don't trust them :rolleyes:) and to my utter amazement i was down as having used 5.8GB of my 10 GB allowance :eek::eek::eek:

I watched no movies, didn't connect to Youtube, just arsed about a bit checking emails and on facebook

Rang them this morning and they said they'd look into it.

Can this be right? 5.8GB in less than a day for a Hero???

not really no.
    it would have died way before reaching a fifth of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I have a Hero and there's absolutely zero chance of that happening

ive been surfing like a loon for the best part of a month and barely scratched 500mb

unless the few sites you looked at were full sites and not mobile sites and contained High Definition Images littered across each of the pages and took the best part of an hour to load each time

no way you can hit that kind of data without knackering the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

sounds impossible to me too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Another discussion here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055825396
    Regarding HTC Tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

the one thing that does eat data in my experience is streaming radio, it used 100mb in about 45 minutes on my iphone. Not saying you did this or that the usage seems right for radio streaming, which it definitely doesn't, just something to be aware of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

It happened to me few times, but not to this extend.

Sometimes I forget that I have btorrent opened and running and I connect when I'm on the road to check emails or just do quick surfing. I took about 800mb once, but not 5.8gb

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Install 3g Watchdog from Android Marketplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

10GB limit, right - bet your bill period is about 2 weeks away hence about half your limit left and about half looking used?

EPM wrote: »
    10GB limit, right - bet your bill period is about 2 weeks away hence about half your limit left and about half looking used?

This is almost surely the case for the OP. The allowance is prorated like this in the first month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

EPM wrote: »

Sorry all, i'm a complete bollox, just phoned meteor again to kick off and this is exactly the case, felt a right dope after spouting off then being told this is the reason :(

• Advertisement

The guy who sold me my Hero was clever enough to say this to me at the time of sale. It could be clearer though and I'm sure it isn't just yourself that has been caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Doesn't this billing behaviour mean that the package shouldn't legally be marketed as "Unlimited" (with a 10GB fair usage cap) as that would imply a half month bill should be half the cost, but the same 10GB cap??? I'm being pedantic maybe but it seems a fair point.

Advertisement