Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a non techo speak girl with a website issue

Options
  • 10-03-2010 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello

I am new here so hello and I hope this is the right area to post this. Where is a suitable place to get prices getting a website designed or to get a list. Just something very basic to say who I am, what I do and how someone can contact me. If i can update it it would be preferred.

I am not technical and I dont speak techno. I know I need a domain and web hosting but dont really understand what web hosting is so that is the level I am at. Everyone I contact makes me feel I know nothing and then comes back charging me what I feel it a lot of money.

I'm just looking for something very simple and with a price to match that obviously oh and where I'm not made to feel I'm supposed to know all these technical terms.

Thanks
    Sienna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You should go down the road of getting someone to register the domain name you want, instructing them to arrange hosting, and setup a site based around the wordpress blogging system. It's very easy to use once it's been setup, you can login, and edit text of the site just like you would in Microsoft Word. Once you learn a bit more about it, you can even insert pictures, etc.

Need a hand, bung me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Hi Sienna,
    a .com domain name will cost you approx. €10 per year or a .ie about €25. You will need to buy a domain name first which is easy to do. Have a look at www.blacknight.com A.com is far easier and cheaper to buy than a .ie

You then need someone to build you a website on this domain name with a CMS or Content Managed System which will easily allow even a non techie add new pages, edit text, insert images etc... The pricing on this would very much depend on the type and size of site you would require and what functionality you would want.

The site then needs to be hosted-again see blacknight but hosting for a single site would be less than €60 per annum.

If you could provide more details on the type of site you would want and what you would require exactly it would assist other boards users in perhaps giving a more specific idea on pricing or at least perhaps in being able to recommend some options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 siennam

Hi,

Thanks for all the advise and all the Private Message. I am going to deal with them all and will be in touch where applicable.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

D.W wrote: »
    Hi Sienna,
    a .com domain name will cost you approx. €10 per year or a .ie about €25. You will need to buy a domain name first which is easy to do. Have a look at www.blacknight.com A.com is far easier and cheaper to buy than a .ie

Blacknight have a special on today http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055857924

Advertisement