Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Strange Experience @ Newgrange!!!

Options
  • 10-03-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Has anyone been to Newgrange late at night???

About two years ago myself and 3 mates decided to "wander" into the site of the burial ground at Newgrange. While we were there the strangest thing happened. We were sitting on a set of steps at the rear of the monument just before midnight when a dark figure which appeared to be on a bicycle passed right by us. 3 of the 4 of us seen it but didn't hear a thing, there was complete silence yet the 4th who saw nothing said he heard what sounded like the clicking of a bicycle chain. Although he said he heard the sound of the chain he still reckons the rest of us are making it up. I know what I saw, and I'm 100% on this and so are the other 2 lads. To this day we're all still baffled by what we saw.

Anywho, I only discovered this Paranormal Forum today so just thought I'd share my story and see has anyone else had any similar experiences.

Thanks for reading!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any chance it was a dude on a bicycle?

I don't get the paranormal aspect of this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭YipYipU

Fair enough. But I'm sure it wasn't a dude on a bicycle. As I said there was complete silence. I would think someone riding a bicycle over a gravel path would make at least a small amount of noise and it looked more like a shadow than an actual being. It's hard to describe it to be honest. Could just be me being paranoid but the fact that three of us seen the same thing, the fourth facing the same direction saw nothing but heard the sound, and where we were at the time made us think there was something ghostly about it.

But there wasn't complete silence, one of you heard the bike

It probably looked like a shadow cos it was "a dark figure" -- it being night, after all !

It's a bit unusual for someone to cycle on their own to Newgrange at night, so I reckon you just saw that and then combined it with the mystical, mythical environment of Newgrange and made it into a paranormal experience

But ultimately it's pretty unremarkable IMO

Just like if you heard a creaking noise in an alleged "haunted house", you'd sh*t yourself and run out screaming; if you heard it in your own house you'd probably complain about the noisy pipes.

Sure it was night but it was too close to us not to see more detail, I should have mentioned it was a bright night.

Also it would have been quite a task for someone on their own to get a bike in as there is a very high boundary to the grounds, 9 maybe 10 feet high.

I respect your opinion, having said that I still believe there's more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Was it cycling along the path at the back of the monument?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Yeah thats a bit odd cause the monument is completely surrounded with fencing after closing hours. I don't think there would be anyone cycling around there at night!!

Then again the only people I know who have visited the tombs at night have been off their heads:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I'd have to agree with dave. logic would say it was someone on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you were at Newgrange in the middle of the night for absolutely no reason, would it be fair to infer that ye'd maybe had a few scoops earlier in the night?

If it looked like a man on a bike, and sounded like a man on a bike I'd say it was a man on a bike. Possibly hoping to put the willies up a bunch of lads hanging around. Possibly the night watchman.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

It might have been one of the Four Cyclists of the Apocalypse. It's not what you would expect around the Newgrange monument though, especially not at night.

You would not be able to take a bike over the fence into newgrange at night or even during the day. It's not open to the public except on guided tours. OPW also wouldn't be hanging around on bikes after hours.Also why would anyone want to cylce around in a circle. A man on a bike is less plausible than a ghost :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

the main thing here is proof or hear say or it happened to me etc,is the answer i know everyone has there story to tell of there own experences etc,,but why were you there ?? id go with most of the comments here,,monuments arent scarey or graveyards to im my opinion ,,but if you took the time to figure out what the experience was (ie)check it out you wouldnt be posting here to me personally its not paranormal its common sense. but if your there again bring a vid camera or ask any of the teams here to help you ,,,im sure we could all help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Grimes wrote: »
    You would not be able to take a bike over the fence into newgrange at night or even during the day. It's not open to the public except on guided tours. OPW also wouldn't be hanging around on bikes after hours.Also why would anyone want to cylce around in a circle. A man on a bike is less plausible than a ghost :)

no it isnt. If anyone can physically get to the location, theres no reason you couldnt bring a bike. Especially if you could manage to freak a few people out at the same time. :pac:

Well it must have been a bike then as completely insane as that sounds to pull a bike up and over a 7ft hedge and cylce around for a bit in a small enclosed area. I honestly think the OP here is having a bit of a laugh.

A man on a bike is always more plausible than a ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

if this is the paranormal forum why is there so many sceptics???????????

imho most people who believe in paranomal activities are non sceptics, so obv a lot of posts in this thread are from ppl who shouldnt be here

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

if we didnt question Paranormal ,,then whats the point in researching it ,,then everything is haunted,,,thats why there are sceptics here,,and we have question it ,,it might be paranormal to the poster before the thread was posted but we all give some ideas of what it might be and not a paranormal ending that some may want to hear,,it aint all spooks and ghost :eek:thats what here is all about :eek:

I dont think its a ghost but there isnt much in the way of "questioning" going on here. The OP mentioned bike and now its a bike. Thats far enough but completely implausible but just a little bit less implausible than a ghost.

There is being a skeptic and being completely dismissive

It's not just a little more plausible than a ghost, because we know humans and bikes exist, and we know (or at least other people know, I don't, having never been there ;)) that it's possible to get a bike in there.

A wierd guy who cycles his bike around Newgrange at night is considerably more plausible than the disembodied spirit of a wierd guy who cycles his bike around Newgrange at night.

Dave! wrote: »
    and we know (or at least other people know, I don't, having never been there ;)) that it's possible to get a bike in there.

How do we know you can get a bike into Newgrange? Because somone on teh interwebs makes a statement that "if anyone can physically get to a location they can bring a bike" possibly the stupidest comment I have ever read on a message forum.

You cannot get a bike into Newgrange, having been there alot of times. Frankly Im suprised the OP got in at all. I think its more likely the OP is taking the piss which is a lot more likely than one person getting a bike over a seven foot hedge!

I'm honestly not taking the piss folks.

I'll try get one of the others who was there at the time to set up an account, they may be able to describe what happened in a bit more detail.

- It would be possible to get a bike in there by oneself but it would be quite a challenge. They would basically have to throw it over the hedge, requiring a lot of strength and I can't imagine anyone willing to to take the risk of damaging there bike just to freak out a group of youths. Very unlikely imo.

- There seems to be a lot of talk going on just about the bike! What about the fact that 3 of us heard absolutely nothing as " it " crossed a gravel path, yet the one who heard what he said was the sound of a bicycle chain, saw absolutely nothing even though he was sitting on the same step and facing the same direction as the rest of us???

- Also it was quite a bright night and as " it " passed by us " it " was no more than 3 meters away so had it been a dude/dame on a bike I think we'd have seen him/her a bit more clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

what were you all smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

loldog wrote: »
    It might have been one of the Four Cyclists of the Apocalypse ...

... or The Third Policeman?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

... or The Third Policeman?

nah if it was a copper you wud scatter:D

Op did it look anything like this? If it did perhaps it was the ghost of a man on a bike and everyone here is happy. Alternatively it could be anything you can think of that exists rather than a ghost.

Yeah that's exactly it Grimes, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Lol @ thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MalgosiaJ

I Have real story from 2008 when I decided to visit New Grange with my ex.We didnt know that we suppose to book on line tickets for a tour bus so we were driving ourself.Then when we arrived at area of thomb we got completely lost ,the bushes fences were like huge labirynth..we were driving a circles snd always goes back to the same point..our timing got lost either..it started already be late..we were circlying few hrs...then we seen strange old looking pub..but not like most pubs in Ireland...in front of this building where someone unusual welcome us and very nicely informed us about right way to our visit target.This man told us about a bus etc..we said thank you and tried to get at nearest possible area to just a see thus thomb st least from distance..among a pathways we seen few more looking like this one we expecting to see..Finally we got on aplace but it became very dark so we havent seen much.on the way back we got lost once again..desperately searching exit..we again were circlying..after nxt few hrs we saw a light and a house..so we approaching towards this house in hope to get info hiw to return to a town..such a friendly smiling and warm welcome we got when we parked a car..those people were amazing,so helpful they invited us inside offered drinks snd help.A man/ head if family called even some hotel to book us some reservation.happy to get full info about direction how to escape this labirynth we moved to town to search for ours booked hotel .and once again we met so lovely smiling , friendlyreceptionists ..she gave us Royal room in the price for nearly nothing..it was shocking..we happinly went sleep.. then we experienced twice very bad ghost which tried yo chocked us..and once neutral spirits of a man ( looked like Henry IV with a boy).. it was nightmare..we didnt wait till morning ..we just left hotel to calm down after all those events..at the morning we decided come back to thomb and on the way to visit this family who helped us at night....first of all we didnt circling like in previous day..the road was easy to go through..secondary at the places where suppose to be a house was just a forestry..no trace of the house and the people we met...we decided to search the pub we been to ask about direction...and the same story..no building no pub at thus place was found..only realy strange big magic tree...this was unreal!.. places,people we met they didnt exist ... can't explain what happened to us that night...few yrs ago I heard from some unknown man as his brother had very similar adventure..just wondering if there s more of us?...I read today on some website as people who disturb new grange fairies they are cursed for many years... well it could be me😉...so many bad things happened yo me and my life since that night..I don't know.. pls share yours stories here if you had some strange experience relate d this place.

Advertisement