Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds research

Options
  • 10-03-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Right, doing a wee bit of research while on maternity. Despite my name on this am not hugely FOR grinds, I don't believe they're needed. However, while I was job-searching I did them. So am wondering a few things-

How much do ye expect to pay?
    And...how do you expect them to run? Do ye run them or the teacher?

Innovative idea here but it's a teacherswap idea, more info later once I iron out details but essentially free grinds and better results, sweet! The money people would anticipate could be used for children's charities and the like. Details still sketchy as need to appoint an overseer but for now am picking the brains!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Right, doing a wee bit of research while on maternity. Despite my name on this am not hugely FOR grinds, I don't believe they're needed. However, while I was job-searching I did them. So am wondering a few things-

Innovative idea here but it's a teacherswap idea, more info later once I iron out details but essentially free grinds and better results, sweet! The money people would anticipate could be used for children's charities and the like. Details still sketchy as need to appoint an overseer but for now am picking the brains!

A bit confused Gaeilgegrinds, you say that you don't believe grinds are needed, yet you want to set up free grinds? :confused:

As I've said before, I do grinds and charge €30 per student per hour. Unfortunately with all the cuts, I can't afford to do them for free!

Do you think you'd get many teachers who'd do a "teacherswap" and give grinds for free? Do you think parents would donate to childrens charities?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm confused, I don't see how this is supposed to work.

Am I supposed to give grinds in my subject area to students from a different school and then a teacher from that school give grinds to students from my school, and whatever money is paid by the parents is given to charity?

To be honest I can't see how it would work, I used to give grinds, I'm not doing any this year, I might do them again in the future, they are tiring and make the day longer, but the upside is that I do get paid for them. It's a little extra money that helps to pay for stuff. I really wouldn't fancy putting lots of time into grinds for free.

Also parents will pay for grinds, that's the way it usually works. However if parents got the idea that teachers were working for free, as is the situation that you propose, I could see a situation where the parent would say 'I don't have the money this week' as the teacher isn't getting paid anyway.

Also I think some parents would be skeptical of the fact that the teacher is working for free and the money is going to charity, I don't think they'd believe it to be honest.

Really I can't see teachers giving grinds for free when they can earn money from it. Not after the pay cuts and pension levy.

You would probably get a better response in the Teaching forum. You are asking teachers to work for free in work that they usually get paid for. Students will be paying for grinds in either scenario, regardless of where the money goes.

Just noticed your ad on the"grinds forum". If you're not hugely "for" grinds, as you've posted above and don't believe they're "needed", why are you advertising grinds and why are you "booked up" for this year and next? I'm confused :confused::confused::confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

If i was a teacher I'd do grinds for my students for free. Too many teachers these days just looking for the money and not caring for their students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

I think grinds are mostly to just help your confidence!
    A different teacher tho may explain something in a different way for you which make it easier for you to understand!

I would agree with the above post, i'd see it as a reflection on my teaching if a student was getting grinds and would offer to give the help for free! BUT only if they werent after spending 5th year arsing around! only if they were doing their best and still had a difficulty!

If you were a very good teacher i'd pay 20 yo-yos for an hour!
    Wouldnt be going every week tho!

The student should go with their specific problem!!

• Advertisement

zoom! wrote: »
    If i was a teacher I'd do grinds for my students for free. Too many teachers these days just looking for the money and not caring for their students

You won't find many teachers giving grinds to their own students!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I am not doing grinds this year as I'm expecting, only to the students that carried over from last year. I had great luck getting people from this site so am giving them to my Dip from last year and this year. I'm doing research on it as may use it as part of the PhD I am embarking on. I've quite a bit of research done on the grinds culture but just felt here might shed some more light on things. The swap system is in place in quite a few places and actually does work, not eveyone who does grinds is motivated by money. I was when I needed to be but as we develop more as teachers I really do feel more are inclined to give more freely, have quite a bit of data that would support that too. I didn't want to get anyone's back up but just thought I'd see what the reaction was, now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

zoom! wrote: »

Teachers don't give their own students grinds or they certainly don't call them that and don't charge for it. It would be wrong to charge the students you teach for extra help outside school.

@gaeilgegrinds1 : Not all teachers are motivated by money - true. I've given plenty of students help outside school from my own classes where I felt a little bit of extra tuition would bring them along and I certainly didn't charge for it. But I draw the line at going to another school and teaching a group from there for nothing.

These systems are run outside of a school system, usually at homework clubs and the like but teachers swap areas of the city/county etc so as the students get a different persepctive. They really work. Not too common here yet though. I stress the yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

I am not doing grinds this year as I'm expecting, only to the students that carried over from last year. I had great luck getting people from this site so am giving them to my Dip from last year and this year. I'm doing research on it as may use it as part of the PhD I am embarking on. I've quite a bit of research done on the grinds culture but just felt here might shed some more light on things. The swap system is in place in quite a few places and actually does work, not eveyone who does grinds is motivated by money. I was when I needed to be but as we develop more as teachers I really do feel more are inclined to give more freely, have quite a bit of data that would support that too. I didn't want to get anyone's back up but just thought I'd see what the reaction was, now I know.

What are you expecting?

• Advertisement

A beautiful baby boy, which I'm no longer expecting, God he's only gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What are you expecting?

*headdesk*

:D

Congrats, gaeilgegrinds! :)

On a side note, have you asked Dav / Darragh to sort out / merge your 2 accounts (pre- and post- the Great Hack, btw, before someone thinks I'm accusing GG of any iniquity! :p)

No but I will. That would be great, I couldn't seem to work out the pre-one at all!

Advertisement