Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming Off the Pill

Options
  • 10-03-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Coming off the Pill

Hi all,

Regular boardie, but going unreg for this one.... I posted on Personal Issues as well.. Hope thats ok...

Im getting married at the end of the year.. and have been on the pill for about 14 years at this stage... am hoping to get pregnant as soon as possible after we are married, so I figure if I stopped taking it now and relied on condoms etc, my cycle should be back to normal somewhat by year end?

The initial reason for going on the pill was to try and regularise my periods. They were all over the place when I was younger and very heavy.

Another question, and it may sound very silly, but knowing my luck Id end up with a period for my wedding.... is there anyway around this... everything is booked and sorted now...

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

The long and the short of it though is that everyone is different. Some people get their cycles back to normal straight away, and others seem to be struggling to have normal cycles for months on end. There is no way of knowing
    In my case it was back to normal pretty quickly although I waited until after the wedding to come off the pill because I didn't want to risk wondering if I'd have a period at the wedding, but also because I knew we didn't want to start TTC straight away either.
    I don't know if there is anything to stop your period, but I wouldn't want to risk it, the Pill can feck up your system enough, so I wouldn't want to mess any further with that. Don't assume you will conceive straight away either, it isn't always that easy, but hopefully you might be one of the lucky ones.

I suppose start taking folic acid and just casually keep a note of your cycles so that when you are ready you should know at least the average length of your cycle for when you are ready to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Norethisterone can be used to delay a period. Doc has to prescribe it.

Advertisement