Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold for cash-Naas warning

Options
  • 10-03-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

just a warning about the new Gold for Cash shop on the main street in Naas.:mad:

My husband went in to sell some unwanted gold jewellery we had lying around, got a first offer of 150euro,werent happy with that as there was quite a lot there. 2nd offer was 175euro-decided it was far too low.

went into Dublin to the Gold Exchange and got 390euro!:eek:

the guy is just chancing his arm!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Regarding the topic of selling your gold, I think the ads we're seeing everywhere (papers, tv, shopfronts, etc.) for these 'money for gold' and such are just encouraging those who need money to break into homes in search of gold and cash. I've heard of this happening several times and firmly believe that these ads are to blame. In one case I heard only gold jewelry and any cash left around was stolen, while laptops and other expensive items were left behind although I believe someone entered the house and scared off the thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

big increase in break ins during the day in Naas. They are targeting gold and know what they are looking for only taking stuff that’s worth trading in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

thats bad to hear but thanks for the warning!!

you should NEVER trade in your gold!! the reason all these cash for gold shops are opening are that if the euro or any other curency fails, we will return to bartering and the most valuable item wil be . . . . gold!!! just thought id throw that out there!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

No, the reason they open is that people need money and don't know how much gold is worth (hint: It's worth a lot more than anyone of these shops wants to buy it off you for).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed. .SONIC., if you're going to post, at least post something that vaguely resembles correct info :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Indeed. .SONIC., if you're going to post, at least post something that vaguely resembles correct info :)

Think thats a little harsh BuffyBot
    Maybe have a listen to the link below (bit long), if you want to get a take on this.

http://www.radio.goldseek.com/players/fittsplayernov11.php

There is a reasonable chance that a major currency may fail, some say :D

Sonic didnt put it too well though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A big increase locally in our neighbourhood (Dublin area) too.

The only upside of the current fixation with gold is the break ins are very quick and 'tidy', less likely to trash the place and focus only on areas where you'd expect to find jewelry and trinkets in the house, bedside units, dressers etc..

Check if anyone is in with doorbell, then a crowbar is used on the front door to burst the latch\lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

That's kinda funny, I'm home a good bit, and I've given up answering my doorbell (it's mostly time-wasters anyway, people who know me know they should ring me).

Would be very amusing to go out and surprise someone having a go at my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

The cash for gold is not a scam, its just a plain poor value offer.

They offer you 25% of the realiseable gold value and will increase up to 33%.

There is no value put on design / style.

So if you buy a 1oz gold necklace beautifully custom designed by Brian De Stac for €2500, you will receive about €200 based on a $1100 / oz gold price.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cmrm

never said it was a scam just a guy taking the p*** with his rates!

on the robbery comments-our neighbours house was broken into while they were asleep upstairs. they heard a crash(front door kicked in), rang the Gardai and went downstairs, the robbers were gone and some jewellery-took less than 5 mins...scary
    probably better off leaving it all on the kitchen table so they dont bother coming upstairs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement