Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iBood today: scales with fat analysis

• 10-03-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭

Here €19,95 + (12,50 postage.)

Thinking of getting one as my current scales broke before Christmas and so I have no idea what weight I am.

Is the body fat analysis etc. completely inaccurate and utterly useless on these things?

Seems a reasonable price even if the weight is the only reliable bit.

Anyone interested in getting one let me know if you want to split the postage (you can get two on the 12,50 postage rate.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

blorg wrote: »

Is the body fat analysis etc. completely inaccurate and utterly useless on these things?

Inaccurate? Yes. Useless? Maybe not. As far as I they can provide a consistent reading which, while it might be wildly off what a proper fat analysis might say, could at least be used to track changes provided you do the job of giving it a consistent body to analyse, i.e. weigh yourself under the same conditions each time (level of hydration being paramount as they operate my measuring electrical conductivity - dehydration will make the scales give you a higher fat% I think).

I'd be tempted by them myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes that was what I was wondering, if you could see trends even if the number was off. In any case I need a new scales just to know my weight which I have no idea of since Christmas. A certain boardsie was relating in the pub last night how he is at 54kg. Better get on that. Let me know if you want me to order some for you Tom, cost would be €26 each then which seems reasonable.

Mind you given it is iBood we may not get our scales before the Marmotte...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are you doing a group buy?

If so I'm in.

And you can cancel my order for those brake noodles, I sold the bike months ago. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

he is at 54kg

[puts chocolate bar down]

WTF!!!???

I'll make do with the scales I have I think. I'm scared enough of that one without having a new, even scarier one.

Postage only goes up a bit, to 14,95 for three or four so it works out €25 each for three.

@Tom- let me know if you want some.

Max in one order is four if anyone else wants in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

54kg?! jebus i haven't been that weight since i was 10 or 11....

Postage only goes up a bit, to 14,95 for three or four so it works out €25 each for three.

@Tom- let me know if you want some.

Max in one order is four if anyone else wants in.

i'm up for one

OK, I'll order three, Lumen Nietzchean and myself- I'll leave it a little bit to order so if anyone else wants in let me know. iBood offers are 24 hours only so order has to go in today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Hi Blorg i would also be interested in one of these aswell

Con

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I picked up one of these before...

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306-Body-Fat-Analyzer/dp/B00006WNPU

Its okay, once you use it in a somewhat controlled method... same time/day etc..

• Advertisement

OK, four it is. €23.69 each, you can pick up from Sandyford during the day or Donnybrook in the evening, whichever suits. I've ordered a fair bit from iBood, it generally does arrive... eventually. It can take a while. I'll let you know when I have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Cheers Blorg pm me your no and i will meet you with the cash

Con

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

If anyone wants to drop out i'd be interested in taking one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

54kg?! jebus i haven't been that weight since i was 10 or 11....

Its all about power to weight. Not just power and not just weight.

OK, I have ordered four of these now.

@tunney- of course it is but doing the Marmotte week this summer I think I am going to need to get lower on the weight side of things. Hopefully without losing any on the power side.

Blorg can you let me know the details of the scales you ordered as might try get it else where if it's good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Yes that was what I was wondering, if you could see trends even if the number was off. In any case I need a new scales just to know my weight which I have no idea of since Christmas. A certain boardsie was relating in the pub last night how he is at 54kg. Better get on that. Let me know if you want me to order some for you Tom, cost would be €26 each then which seems reasonable.

Mind you given it is iBood we may not get our scales before the Marmotte...

Should that not be she is at 54kgs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

anyone who missed them they usually appear in lidl quite regularly
    (not that i need any it would just explode saying noone could be 100% fat)

anyone who missed them they usually appear in lidl quite regularly
    (not that i need any it would just explode saying noone could be 100% fat)

Are they the same ones? Would prefer to buy once and pay a little more than buy twice.

alfalad wrote: »
    Are they the same ones? Would prefer to buy once and pay a little more than buy twice.

no idea didnt look at the ibood, lidl normally get stuff made for them so probably not, just thought i'd mention it as ibood is a one day offer and lidl usually have these in a few times a year (they are NOT on the current lidl offers list just that they appear there occasionaly)

cheapest ones in argos are 27.99
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8326573/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHealth%2Band%2Bpersonal%2Bcare%7C14418350/Trail/searchtext%3ESCALES.htm

all argos scales
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pp=Show+all&s=Price%3A+Low+-+High&storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002251&langId=-1&q=SCALES&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CHealth%2Band%2Bpersonal%2Bcare%7C14418350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

dario28 wrote: »

No!

dario28 wrote: »
    Raam wrote: »
    No!

The whole "power to weight is important on the hills, but you need raw power on the flat" argument gets slightly academic when you even can't keep up with the 54kg rider on the flat.

It's a male boardsie. Not Raam, he is around two full bicycle weights heavier than this guy.

The iBood forum is offline right now, but check it out later and they list all their past offers.

It is a Mediasana scales, not this one but similar. Knowing iBood probably an older model. To be honest I am looking at it mostly from the weighing point of view.

the only one who normally comes close to Raam in these things is dirk... but Diarmuid, the unknown quantity?

hey i'm twice the man whoever that 54kg guy is (thats not really good is it)

theres an ibood hunt on at the momnet there changing the offers every 10 mins or so (guess its all the unsold stuff)

the only one who normally comes close to Raam in these things is dirk... but Diarmuid, the unknown quantity?

Guess again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Must be someone quite short...with an Orwell connection presumably. Drawing a total blank on this one.

rottenhat wrote: »
    Must be someone quite short...with an Orwell connection presumably. Drawing a total blank on this one.

yeah, i got told, though i should have figured it out really......

Allow me to help, he's the skinny one, in Orwell kit.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Allow me to help, he's the skinny one, in Orwell kit.

Not helpful...Lumen?

rottenhat wrote: »
    Not helpful...Lumen?

I'd have to chop off my head and both arms, at least.

Lumen wrote: »
    I'd have to chop off my head and both arms, at least.

do you need both arms when cycling? this could be a good aero/weight saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Is he short, and a vet?

TheCrunch?

(Don't even know what he looks like...just guessing randomly at this point)

The clue is in here.

I suspect he's a lot quicker this year. We should do this again soon, since it's almost a year on.

• Advertisement

No, no, no, ye are all wrong. Not a vet. May be a bit on the short side.

No, no, no, ye are all wrong. Not a vet. May be a bit on the short side.

Marco Pantani was not "short".

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aidandoyle

Hi, probably a bit late with this reply since you have already bought the scales, but because I sort of work in this field I just wanted to give my 2 cents worth. Electronic techniques for fat measurement are notoriously unreliable in terms of absolute value outputted, they measure body impedance, it is extremely difficult to partition the measured impedance correctly into fat component, water component, muscle component, bone component etc.. The quality of the output from a scales with this body fat application incorporated is directly proportional to the price paid. I have both a scales (paid 30 Euro) and a traditional body fat calipers with consultation chart. There is a 5-6% difference in body fat between the two (20% for the scale, 14%-odd percent for the calipers). The only positive for the scales is that the measures they provide are generally consistant. In other words, they will always be wrong by in or around the sane amount, therefore they can be used for trend monitoring. Anyway, there you go, for what its worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

The clue is in here.

I suspect he's a lot quicker this year. We should do this again soon, since it's almost a year on.

Mister Syncopation?

Marco Pantani was not "short".
    Well shorter than Ryan Sherlock and Raam anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

niceonetom wrote: »
    provided you do the job of giving it a consistent body to analyse, i.e. weigh yourself under the same conditions each time (level of hydration being paramount as they operate my measuring electrical conductivity - dehydration will make the scales give you a higher fat%
    These come up all the time in the fitness forum and there is a overwhelming advice to avoid them. Having the same hydration is very difficult, even humidity or sweating will alter readings. What is always recommended is calipers, and many, including myself, would agree with your first point that the output may be wrong with a calipers but is consistent, but it does NOT depend on hydration.

e.g. I have a slim guide calipers, this has a spring on it so when it is closed it is always the same pinching tension, if I wanted to appear thinner I might unconciously squeeze a manual claipers more, the spring stops this problem. I have various forumlas and can vary between 12-18% BF depending on which I use. So I do not bother, I measure in various points and not the mm readings, and tot them up. If my mm go down I am losing fat, simple as that.

The slimguides can be got on ebay, the other recommended one is accumeasure,

If getting a scale I would recommend a salter one, digital ones can vary depending on how charged the battery is too. If going digital I would want a separate power source. If you have weight plates you can use them to tell if the reading is off, you do not have to trust that 80kg of plates really is 80kg, but check it is the same measurement/reading each time.

Regarding the accuracy of the scales, if the alternative is standing naked in front of my wife asking "does my belly look flabby to you?" I'll take the crappy data for what little it's worth.

My main concern with the scales to be honest is that it gets my weight right... or at least is consistent. I actually do have access to certified weights for calibration but most scales these days work reasonably well, no? Like it is going to get to the nearest 500g when weighing a person I presume.

Regarding the accuracy of the scales, if the alternative is standing naked in front of my wife asking "does my belly look flabby to you?" I'll take the crappy data for what little it's worth.

the answer in my case would be yes
    bib shorts werent renamed belly bra's for no reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

I got one of these and it arrived last night. Apparently the accuracy of the other readings are questionable but it was fun all the same :)

Anyone who has been relying on the 'I'm big-boned' theory beware though, it told me in no uncertain terms that my bones are indeed 'normal'.

Damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Here €19,95 + (12,50 postage.)

Thinking of getting one as my current scales broke before Christmas and so I have no idea what weight I am.

heavy enough to not need to ask it ;):D

Advertisement