Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBS Psychology Diploma...

• 10-03-2010 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Anyone know is this conversion course is then the equivalent of a degree??

http://www.dbs.ie/Psychology/Postgraduate-Higher-Diploma.htm

They offer a H Dip in Psychology in Trinity as well but this is 2 years full time. Surely they can't both be the same? The course in DBS is only part time for two years so i presume the one in Trinity is superior.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

See at the bottom of that page:
    Please note that this is a new programme offering for 2009 and we will be seeking accreditation from the Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI).

I presume this means they don't yet have accreditation with the PSI so maybe to be sure check this out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

See at the bottom of that page:
    Please note that this is a new programme offering for 2009 and we will be seeking accreditation from the Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI).

I presume this means they don't yet have accreditation with the PSI so maybe to be sure check this out..

I rang them and they said they should be good to go. Anyone else have a bit more info? Just wondering really where this course would leave you in terms of continuing your studies after wards in terms of moving onto do a doctorate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

The H. Dip in psychology is indeed equivalent to an undergraduate degree. DBS has their undergraduate psychology degree accredited by the PSI and it would be difficult to imagine that their H. Dip will not receive accreditation in due course. If and when it does then you have the same options available as anyone with an undergraduate psychology degree.

Part-time is still a good 7 hours a week. As for comparing it to Trinity, with Trinity you know its accredited by the PSI, cannot officially be done part-time there, it costs more than twice the amount at Trinity, you have missed the deadline for this year with them if you are thinking about it this year. UCD also do it and much the same as Trinity applies to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Accreditation is important if you want to go further into the field. The Dip basically brings you up to the equivalent of having a degree. As for pursing a PhD, that might be more contingent on the connections you make or how hard you work rather than where you study, but I'm not sure. No harm to check the PSI website and such. What are you interested in doing - research or training?

Accreditation is important if you want to go further into the field. The Dip basically brings you up to the equivalent of having a degree. As for pursing a PhD, that might be more contingent on the connections you make or how hard you work rather than where you study, but I'm not sure. No harm to check the PSI website and such. What are you interested in doing - research or training?

No idea! I am simply interested in pursuing a career in psychology. I am just trying to figure out the career path which seems to be difficult. It appears very different to most professions which i am familiar with eg. do 12 exams after an accounting degree and they you are a qualified accountant. Similar enough with law.

I can't seem to figure when exactly you can call yourself a psychologist and start practicing as a psychologist. I've already done 5 years in University so i am currently just trying to figure out how to go about it. i might be a bit too old at 27 TBH.

• Advertisement

hotspur wrote: »
    The H. Dip in psychology is indeed equivalent to an undergraduate degree. DBS has their undergraduate psychology degree accredited by the PSI and it would be difficult to imagine that their H. Dip will not receive accreditation in due course. If and when it does then you have the same options available as anyone with an undergraduate psychology degree.

Part-time is still a good 7 hours a week. As for comparing it to Trinity, with Trinity you know its accredited by the PSI, cannot officially be done part-time there, it costs more than twice the amount at Trinity, you have missed the deadline for this year with them if you are thinking about it this year. UCD also do it and much the same as Trinity applies to them.

Are you saying the course in DBS costs twice as much is it?

Both Trinity and DBS appear to be offering a HDIP, yet Trinity is 2 years full time and DBS is 2 years part time. I am no mathematician but that does not quite add up!

Trinity costs more than twice the amount that DBS does. DBS does the H. Dip either full time or part time and both are 2 years long, their part time option just means at nighttime as far as I can tell. I presume similarly to the way their undergraduate psychology degree is 3 years full time and 4 years part time at night they manage to squeeze a lot in at night.

If you're worried about the relative number of hours for the H Dips at TCD, DBS, UCD then contact each and find out.

Also having a H. Dip / undergraduate degree in psychology doesn't mean you can work as a psychologist. Take yourself to the PSI website to find out about different areas of work in psychology and what it takes to get qualified in them.

Psychology is also the kind of thing many people switch into as mature students. Which is just as well because having a degree in it at 20/21 and wanting to work as a clinician doesn't work as they don't train people as clinicians until they are older.

hotspur wrote: »
    Trinity costs more than twice the amount that DBS does. DBS does the H. Dip either full time or part time and both are 2 years long, their part time option just means at nighttime as far as I can tell. I presume similarly to the way their undergraduate psychology degree is 3 years full time and 4 years part time at night they manage to squeeze a lot in at night.

If you're worried about the relative number of hours for the H Dips at TCD, DBS, UCD then contact each and find out.

Also having a H. Dip / undergraduate degree in psychology doesn't mean you can work as a psychologist. Take yourself to the PSI website to find out about different areas of work in psychology and what it takes to get qualified in them.

Psychology is also the kind of thing many people switch into as mature students. Which is just as well because having a degree in it at 20/21 and wanting to work as a clinician doesn't work as they don't train people as clinicians until they are older.

Why do you think the part time is a nitemare? Based on what?

I understand simply having a degree does not qualify you. I am just looking for answers as to what does. I've had a look at the PSI website - i would just like to hear back from people who in the field and know what they are talking about.

From my own experience of doing a part time degree in DBS, i'd imagine that it's a nightmare from the point of view that if you're doing a part time course, you're more than likely also working full time, plus on the actual course there's a lot needing to get done in less time so it can be hard to keep all the balls in the air. We often say on our part time course that it sometimes feels a lot more like a full time course for the effort required to keep it all going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

From my own experience of doing a part time degree in DBS, i'd imagine that it's a nightmare from the point of view that if you're doing a part time course, you're more than likely also working full time, plus on the actual course there's a lot needing to get done in less time so it can be hard to keep all the balls in the air. We often say on our part time course that it sometimes feels a lot more like a full time course for the effort required to keep it all going.

I never done a part-time course there, but I started my BA there in 97 but I was attending day time for the most, I still worked around classes. However, I often had one evening class a semester with the part-time students, and I have to admit hats off to them, having a full days work followed by two lectures in the evening hard work.

I teach one three hour session once a week now and find that difficult enough, never mind doing it three times a week:eek:

• Advertisement

I hear what you are saying, but i am 27 and i have already done 5 years full time in University - the thought of going back to be being a broke ass full time student is not too appealing.

I don't mind having to do a fair bit of work. I am just trying to establish a clear career path really and what exactly is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

jimmypitt wrote: »
    I'm currently doing the Full Time hDip in DBS, we have 8 hours lectures a week and the recommended time spent working independently is 3 hours for every hour lectured.

The Part Time course is the exact same as the Full Time except for every 2 hour lecture we have (4 per week) they do the same work in hours. They have the same work load as us, i.e. same assignments, tests, essays, etc. etc.

We've been hearing that the Part-Timers are complaining about the work load, it's the same as ours and it's alot but doing it Full Time, it's certainly manageable, working full time would indeed make it very challenging and your personal time would be basically non-existant if you want to get a good mark. IMO they just didn't realise the amount of work that would be required to complete a hDip Part Time, so if you decide to do it Part Time don't expect it to be a simple 'go to 4 lectures a week and that'll do you', there's ALOT of reading required, various class tests and essays to submit, over half your results will be from CA's.

As for the PSI accreditation, we're onto them constantly about what the current situation is, they can't confirm anything to us as they are still applying and AFAIK the PSI won't/can't accredit a course until a set amount of time either before or after a course produces it's first graduates, but myself and the huge majority of my class mates have taken the gamble that they will be accredited before we finish, as we wouldn't be here without a good chance of accreditation, DBS know this too and since they're a Private College they understand the commercial realities that come with not getting accredited so they are putting everything into getting the accreditation. Personally I am confident they will get it, they told us they designed the course with both eyes on how to get it accredited by the PSI. It's based on their BA course which is accredited, so, as I say, I'm confident they'll get it although, I'd better be, seeing as I'm doing the damn course.

I hear what you are saying, but i am 27 and i have already done 5 years full time in University - the thought of going back to be being a broke ass full time student is not too appealing.

I don't mind having to do a fair bit of work. I am just trying to establish a clear career path really and what exactly is involved.

While I was saying that that might be why it's perceived as a nightmare, its most certainly do-able, just don't expect to have much free time for yourself!! I suppose I said what i did to illustrate that although one course is part time and one is full time, that it doesn't really make one easier than the other, you still have to cover the same material.

As far as career path is concerned - you'll have to get the HDip to get you to the equivalent of those who have an undergrad Psychology degree. This doesn't qualify you to work as a psychologist. To do that, you need to do further study in the form of a Masters/PHD- choosing from Clinical, Counselling Psychology, Organisational and Educational psychology to name but a few. Where would you interests lie? Also bear in mind that some of these, particularly Clinical psychology are as far as i am aware extremely competitive to enter and you'll need really good results and possibly work experience. I'm sure some of the psychologists here will be better able to fill you in on that!

Ste05 wrote: »
    I'm currently doing the Full Time hDip in DBS, we have 8 hours lectures a week and the recommended time spent working independently is 3 hours for every hour lectured.

The Part Time course is the exact same as the Full Time except for every 2 hour lecture we have (4 per week) they do the same work in hours. They have the same work load as us, i.e. same assignments, tests, essays, etc. etc.

We've been hearing that the Part-Timers are complaining about the work load, it's the same as ours and it's alot but doing it Full Time, it's certainly manageable, working full time would indeed make it very challenging and your personal time would be basically non-existant if you want to get a good mark. IMO they just didn't realise the amount of work that would be required to complete a hDip Part Time, so if you decide to do it Part Time don't expect it to be a simple 'go to 4 lectures a week and that'll do you', there's ALOT of reading required, various class tests and essays to submit, over half your results will be from CA's.

As for the PSI accreditation, we're onto them constantly about what the current situation is, they can't confirm anything to us as they are still applying and AFAIK the PSI won't/can't accredit a course until a set amount of time either before or after a course produces it's first graduates, but myself and the huge majority of my class mates have taken the gamble that they will be accredited before we finish, as we wouldn't be here without a good chance of accreditation, DBS know this too and since they're a Private College they understand the commercial realities that come with not getting accredited so they are putting everything into getting the accreditation. Personally I am confident they will get it, they told us they designed the course with both eyes on how to get it accredited by the PSI. It's based on their BA course which is accredited, so, as I say, I'm confident they'll get it although, I'd better be, seeing as I'm doing the damn course.

Cheers for that info - very helpful.

What do you make of DBS itself? What are the facilities like? Decent library?

After the HDIP, what are you thinking of doing? Do you think it will be a very long road before you actually start earning money?

Dear X,

The difference between the part time and full time Higher Diploma in Psychology is that full time students take the course between the hours of 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday with approximately 12-15 lectures hours. Whereas, the part time students take the course 2 evenings per week from 6.15pm – 9.30pm.

It appears from this response from DBS you have more class time with the full time HDIP - i wonder would this hinder you in terms of going onto do further study? Any thoughts from some experts around? An answer from an actual psychologist would be great!!

You misread nighttime as nightmare.

Dear X,

The difference between the part time and full time Higher Diploma in Psychology is that full time students take the course between the hours of 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday with approximately 12-15 lectures hours. Whereas, the part time students take the course 2 evenings per week from 6.15pm – 9.30pm.

It appears from this response from DBS you have more class time with the full time HDIP - i wonder would this hinder you in terms of going onto do further study? Any thoughts from some experts around? An answer from an actual psychologist would be great!!

You'll come out with the same qualification at the end - just the way you went about getting it will be different. Its the same qualification so will give you the same opportunities for further training as if you had done it during the day. Just like the DBS part time psychology degree gives you the same degree at the end as the full time one does. So the fact you did it in less hours shouldn't hinder you. Bear in mind that those contact hours don't include the many hours of studying you'll have to do, and perhaps you'll have more personal studying to do in the part time course as there's less contact time with the lecturers.

I personally don't think you need an actual psychologist to tell you - perhaps the college administration or the PSI might be better placed to answer your concerns? If you are specifically wanting to do a particular Masters in one of the psychological disciplines to allow you to practice, maybe check with that college about their entry requirements and whether they would see a part time course differently to a full time one

You'll come out with the same qualification at the end - just the way you went about getting it will be different. Its the same qualification so will give you the same opportunities for further training as if you had done it during the day. Just like the DBS part time psychology degree gives you the same degree at the end as the full time one does. So the fact you did it in less hours shouldn't hinder you. Bear in mind that those contact hours don't include the many hours of studying you'll have to do, and perhaps you'll have more personal studying to do in the part time course as there's less contact time with the lecturers.

I personally don't think you need an actual psychologist to tell you - perhaps the college administration or the PSI might be better placed to answer your concerns? If you are specifically wanting to do a particular Masters in one of the psychological disciplines to allow you to practice, maybe check with that college about their entry requirements and whether they would see a part time course differently to a full time one

Good call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

What do you make of DBS itself? What are the facilities like? Decent library?
    It's pretty decent, it's very different to what I'm used to though, I did my undergrad in BBLS in UCD, so I'm used to huge lecture halls and huge numbers in classes, I'm also used to UCD facilities, it's smaller obviously, lectures are more like tutorials cos the class size is soo much smaller. We all know all the lecturers by name now and they all know us. The library is better then I expected, they have a good supply of all the core texts, obviously it's not as good as the likes of the UCD library, but it's good IMO.

The whole place has a nice vibe to it IMO.
    After the HDIP, what are you thinking of doing? Do you think it will be a very long road before you actually start earning money?
    I went in with the intention of doing Forensic Psychology but decided to leave my mind open to other areas. ATM, I'm thinking some sort of research is where I'd like to end up, but I'm finding the whole thing really interesting and TBH, I'm loving every second of it, (bar bloody Stats!!)

And yes I expect it to be a VERY long road before I start earning any decent money (if I ever earn decent money in Psychology), TBH, don't go into Psychology if you want to make alot of money, from what I've seen and heard, it's not a profession to get into if you want to make money. I'm sure other psychologists on here will correct me if I'm wrong (and by fcuk I hope I am) but AFAIK the HUGE majority of psychologists are not coining it in. I thought it might have been a good area to get into for the money, but it seems to really only be the top Clinical guys who make good money. And it seems as though getting into a Clinical programme, is just about as difficult a doctorate to get into that exists in academia. I'd love to get a clinical doctorate and it probably will be the end dream, but I expect to spend years working on my CV while .applying before I get accepted (if I get accepted at all). I think I heard there's about 500 people applying every year for around 35 positions. I've also heard of people applying for years, constantly working on their CV in between rejections, one of which took 7 years of attempting before they were finally accepted to a clinical programme. So yes AFAIK it's a long long road.

I'd actually love to hear some stories from other psychologists on here as to what they thought going in and how their careers developed. I'm pretty sure I'm badly informed ATM and probably very naive. /me goes off searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MarMAcRua

This is a great information source! Thanks for all your posts!

I have been offered a place on the UCD HDip Psych course. I am considering my options with regard to the full time vs part time options and also with studying at UCD v DBS. I was hoping you could shed some light and help my decision.

I realise that the DBS HDipPsych course is not yet accredited (seemly in progress), and by the sounds of things it would likely get accreditation from PSI. If successfully accredited it looks like a very good course.

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not to choose DBS over UCD, vice versa or whether it even matters at all at the grad entry level?

I would consider doing a Masters in research followed by a D.Clin.Psych route (I realise that there is high competition etc). However, can anybody tell me if I should be bothered too much now as to which course might have an advantage or not should I want to progress to doctorate level? Any pros and cons of starting at DBS v UCD? Or does it really just matter about what grades I get and the research/clinical experience for successful entry to a D.Clin.Psych programme (again, I realise the amount of work involved, I am just concerned about structuring myself properly from the start).

Thanks you very much in advance for any advice you can give to help my decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MarMAcRua

This is a great information source! Thanks for all your posts!

I have been offered a place on the UCD HDip Psych course. I am considering my options with regard to the full time vs part time options and also with studying at UCD v DBS. I was hoping you could shed some light and help my decision.

I realise that the DBS HDipPsych course is not yet accredited (seemly in progress), and by the sounds of things it would likely get accreditation from PSI. If successfully accredited it looks like a very good course.

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not to choose DBS over UCD, vice versa or whether it even matters at all at the grad entry level?

I would consider doing a Masters in research followed by a D.Clin.Psych route (I realise that there is high competition etc). However, can anybody tell me if I should be bothered too much now as to which course might have an advantage or not should I want to progress to doctorate level? Any pros and cons of starting at DBS v UCD? Or does it really just matter about what grades I get and the research/clinical experience for successful entry to a D.Clin.Psych programme (again, I realise the amount of work involved, I am just concerned about structuring myself properly from the start).

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can give to help my decision!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement