Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan - Thomond Park Stadium, Limerick 4th July 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I seen Dylan in Galway and Kilkenny and I though he was fantastic both times! his voice was alot better in Kilkenny but his band had changed, the gig in Galway was more rock n roll based whereas Dylan's new band are very jazzy and bluesy, depends on what your into really, I am a big Dylan fan and I genuinely enjoy his gigs immensely!!! :)

I hope he announces a gig for the Cork Marquee after Limerick!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

kraggy wrote: »
    Saw Dylan in Galway a few years ago and can safely say it was the worst concert I've ever been to.

Never again.

When I seen his in Slane back in 1984 I said the same thing. Only two gigs I've ever truely hated - Dylan in Slane '84 and Yusuf Islam last year in The O2, although I'd love to see Yusuf again I wouldn't take a chance on Dylan.

When I seen his in Slane back in 1984 I said the same thing. Only two gigs I've ever truely hated - Dylan in Slane '84 and Yusuf Islam last year in The O2, although I'd love to see Yusuf again I wouldn't take a chance on Dylan.

Whoa, you didn't like the Slane gig!? I thought it sounded great!

What didn't you like about Yusuf? despite the drawn out play in the middle which had most of the hits played over the PA, and the over ignorant crowd reaction,

Other than this I thought the gig was great his voice is as good as ever, maybe even better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I went to Dylan once. Never again. The man is a disgrace. He doesn't bother to put on a show. He is indecipherable live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Whoa, you didn't like the Slane gig!?

This;
    Ally Dick wrote: »
    I went to Dylan once. Never again. The man is a disgrace. He doesn't bother to put on a show. He is indecipherable live
    What didn't you like about Yusuf? despite the drawn out play in the middle which had most of the hits played over the PA, and the over ignorant crowd reaction

Yusuf Islam discussion HERE.

• Advertisement

I never mentioned Yusuf. I only mentioned the dreadful live Bob

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I never mentioned Yusuf. I only mentioned the dreadful live Bob

Nobody said you did, Makikomi was using your post to explain why he didn't enjoy Dylan live, and the Yusuf Islam comment was meant for me,

BTW Makikomi from reading that thread it is still pretty unclear what you dis-liked about the gig so much,

Sorry to have to deviate away from the original thread topic again,
    I guess with Dylan nowaday you either like it or hate it, Dylan was never one for interacting with the crowd, IMO with a musician of his class and his huge catalog of incredible songs it doesent matter!!!

IMO with a musician of his class and his huge catalog of incredible songs it doesent matter!!!

I couldn't disagree more. It shows tremendous disrespect for the audience to turn up and put on such poor shows consistently. Give me Wilco live any day of the week. Now THERE's a band who know how to perform live

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

Consistently Poor?? You obviously haven't seen him recently. He's better now than he's been in years, arguably the 70s. Dylan's always said the songs on his records are just blueprints, a lot of the time the way he performs his songs at gigs are better than on the record, especially recent recordings! Give me Dylan any day over bands who just plod out the same setlist at every gig with the same arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭McCruiskeen

Jaysus, save your money folks. The man is a legend and I love him, but his live shows are ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS.

I have seen his gigs rapidly disintegrate over the last 10 years. If people stopped going to his gigs, maybe he'd make some sort of effort again.

He tours cos he enjoys it and the atmosphere (and money) and not for the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I can't understand why he plays such big venues anymore, seen him a few times in the Point and his voice has become so frail thats its painful to listen to!! He seems to be constantly on tour too, jeez man take a rest!!!:rolleyes: Not worth the money any more imo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

its the same argument everytime dylan plays....the people who love hims old albums don't like the sound of his voice now but the people who love his lyrics love to hear new versions

I seen him in amsterdam last year at easter & it wasn't great but i put that down to the crowd being the most boring i ever seen. I loved him at the point last may & can't wait for thomond park.

If you not sure if you wanna go or not....listen to recording of some recent concert & make your own mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

crazzzzy wrote: »
    its the same argument everytime dylan plays....the people who love hims old albums don't like the sound of his voice now but the people who love his lyrics love to hear new versions

I seen him in amsterdam last year at easter & it wasn't great but i put that down to the crowd being the most boring i ever seen. I loved him at the point last may & can't wait for thomond park.

If you not sure if you wanna go or not....listen to recording of some recent concert & make your own mind up.

i would agree, he does whatever he wants to at his gigs, i love hearing the different versions of the songs he plays and i to be fair he was never the worlds greatest singer but his lyrics are still genius even on his latest albums, i have seen him twice and the band were great both times and he seemed to be having a great time himself personally i can't wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭jimw1988

alabama 3 announced on their website!

also van morrison playing hop farm festival in kent! other acts playing are seasick steve and 1 bob dylan! we can only hope!!!!!

jimw1988 wrote: »
    alabama 3 announced on their website!

also van morrison playing hop farm festival in kent! other acts playing are seasick steve and 1 bob dylan! we can only hope!!!!!

Whoa, I had a funny feeling the support would be Van from the very start,
    One can only hope indeed!!!! :)

Is it likely tho?, I mean if someone of Vans caliber was playing wouldn't they have announced it from the start? tickets in that case would have sold out in seconds!!

funny auld day today, I been looking at Hop Farm Festivals website for a long time and it looks great, really considering going! today I was reading the paper and got really excited when I seen the headline "VAN THE MAN RETURNS!" incredible!!!! I read the article, turns out the dj Armin Van Buuren will be returning to Ireland :pac:, that is NOT Van The Man!!! :mad::(, may have to go to Hop Farm after that let down, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Anyone know if Alabama 3 are gonna play any other dates while they're here? Can't find any info on their site

squire23 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Alabama 3 are gonna play any other dates while they're here? Can't find any info on their site

There playing Leopardstown on Thursday August 5th, as part of the Bulmers, Leopardstown gigs, I think a ticket gets you a day at the races and then the gig after,

here is the line up..............

Bulmers Live at Leopardstown line-up:
    Thursday, June 10th - Fun Lovin’ Criminals
    Thursday, June 17th - Mundy (and band)
    Thursday, July 1st - Aslan
    Thursday, July 8th - Duke Special
    Thursday, July 15th - Paul Brady
    Thursday, July 22nd - Delorentos
    Thursday, August 5th - Alabama 3
    Thursday, August 12th – Sharon Shannon and Shane MacGowan

http://www.goracing.ie/content/hri/hrinews.aspx?id=12414

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 YARG

Anyone know of any return bus transfer from Dublin to Limerick for the gig?

YARG wrote: »
    Anyone know of any return bus transfer from Dublin to Limerick for the gig?

I don't know of any buses, but there is a train been put on specially for the gig, ye can get tickets through Ticketmaster,

There €40, and the train leaves Dublin at 12 noon and returns at 12 midnight,

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004495A2383D27?artistid=734972&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GaryW

I don't know of any buses, but there is a train been put on specially for the gig, ye can get tickets through Ticketmaster,

There €40, and the train leaves Dublin at 12 noon and returns at 12 midnight,

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004495A2383D27?artistid=734972&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

Id go for a bus if there was one, train seems expensive when you have to buy a few ticktes... bus might be cheaper option. Doesnt seem to be any which is strange!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

There playing Leopardstown on Thursday August 5th, as part of the Bulmers, Leopardstown gigs, I think a ticket gets you a day at the races and then the gig after,

here is the line up..............

Bulmers Live at Leopardstown line-up:
    Thursday, June 10th - Fun Lovin’ Criminals
    Thursday, June 17th - Mundy (and band)
    Thursday, July 1st - Aslan
    Thursday, July 8th - Duke Special
    Thursday, July 15th - Paul Brady
    Thursday, July 22nd - Delorentos
    Thursday, August 5th - Alabama 3
    Thursday, August 12th – Sharon Shannon and Shane MacGowan

http://www.goracing.ie/content/hri/hrinews.aspx?id=12414
    Thanks - I;m really hoping to catch an acoustic version of their show that they've been doing for the last few years. Just grabbed a DVD of one of the shows off DaD & it's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

hey guys what time is the show starting? it says on the thomond park website that the show starts at half 8 but gates open at half 2.

So does that mean bob starts at half 8 or the first band starts at half 8?

There are like 5 acts playing at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

Definitely that means that Bob's playing at 8. He is main act and thus has main slot. Other acts on during the day from 2 onwards I assume.

Does anyone have any notion of order of acts are on?
    I get the sneaking suspicion that Gray will be act before Bob. Seasick Steve's myspace says that he starts at 4pm, so I'd guess it's A3 first, then Steve, Gray and Bob. Oh Well!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

anyone going to the bobfest sat nite in clonlara? Is there anywhere for camping sun nite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

squire23 wrote: »

They are playing Indiependence Festival in Mitchelstown on the August Bank holiday weekend as well. Pretty sweet line-up........

http://indiependencefestival.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

crazzzzy wrote: »
    anyone going to the bobfest sat nite in clonlara? Is there anywhere for camping sun nite?

Yep, heading to Bobfest on Saturday. Great spot out in Doonass for it. The weather forecast is pretty good and there should be a decent crowd there. Pretty eclectic mix of musical acts by the looks of it.

I'm not sure what the story is with camping there on Sunday night after the gig but you could give the Anglers Rest a call.

Anyone know how far Thommond Park is from Limerick Train Station?

TIA.

BTW, Squire23, I just found out, Alabama 3 are playing an acoustic unplugged set at Roisin Dubh in Galway on Friday the 9th of July,

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Alabama-3-tickets/artist/798001

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Bout a 20 minute walk from the train station. 7-8 bucks by taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Just back.

Dylan was pretty average tbh.

Alabama 3 were fine, what I saw of them. I enjoyed Seasick Steve. Gray was Gray.

I was in the stands, how was it closer to the stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Live near it and went up for a free listen to the last 20 mins and it sounded awful. People streaming out of the place long before the end.

Advertisement