Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan - Thomond Park Stadium, Limerick 4th July 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Live near it and went up for a free listen to the last 20 mins and it sounded awful. People streaming out of the place long before the end.

As expected, the last time he played the O2 I left after half an hour, I've never walked out on a gig before or after that night, but what I heard was soul destroying. The audience shuffling about pretending to be enjoying themselves was even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

As expected, the last time he played the O2 I left after half an hour, I've never walked out on a gig before or after that night, but what I heard was soul destroying. The audience shuffling about pretending to be enjoying themselves was even worse.

Ditto, wasnt a hope I was gonna spend a shilling on seeing that auld creature drone on. Wouldnt have minded seeing seasick though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I had a great time. Dylan doesn't suit casual gawkers and has never catered to the greatest hits crowd. They will always moan as a result. I went with about fifteen Dylan fans and we all had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Thought it was a great performance from Dylan myself. I was down on the pitch and he was on form. I wasn't expecting much but fair play to him, he put on a good show.

Set List

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat

2. Lay, Lady, Lay

3. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

4. Just Like A Woman

5. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'

6. Tangled Up In Blue

7. Rollin' And Tumblin'

8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven

9. Cold Irons Bound

10. Love Sick

11. Highway 61 Revisited

12. Workingman's Blues #2

13. Thunder On The Mountain

14. Ballad Of A Thin Man

(encore)

15. Like A Rolling Stone

16. I Feel A Change Comin' On

17. Jolene

18. Blowin' In The Wind

Workingmans Blues and Cold Irons Bound were particularly class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I ignored the hit and miss warnings and took a gamble. Never saw him before but listening to the albums for years.

I was impressed. Really enjoyed it. Can't understand the disappointed people above and have to wonder what they expected.

Full credit also to Alabama 3 and Seasick Steve. I'll be catching them if they come back again in their own right.

David Gray is fine but his music doesn't work well in the stadium setting.

I missed the local band sadly. Any views on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Curve Music

topper75 wrote: »
    I ignored the hit and miss warnings and took a gamble. Never saw him before but listening to the albums for years.

I was impressed. Really enjoyed it. Can't understand the disappointed people above and have to wonder what they expected.

Full credit also to Alabama 3 and Seasick Steve. I'll be catching them if they come back again in their own right.

David Gray is fine but his music doesn't work well in the stadium setting.

Alabama 3 are playing INDIEPENDENCE, August bank holiday weekend

www.indiependencefestival.com

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Dylan was class,you always get the people who have some fancy notion about Dylan , and winge after the concert even heard a few after an o2 gig that wanted there money back . Again thanks Bob,you the man .You made my day .

Slan
    Conor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I hadn't planned to go see him as had already seen him in Galway a few years back and didn't enjoy him.
    However on a whim about 5pm yesterday we decided we go along and I did enjoy the gig a lot more that I had expected.
    I'm not a hugh fan on Bob's music but enjoyed the evening at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 thelungs

4th time seeing Bob (and 2 other times he didn't show up) and I must say the best.
    Really good set list, great band and the support acts were very good.
    Worth every penny the ticket cost.
    Just like a woman was my highlight.

I posted this in the Limerick forum already but it is relevant to the moaners here too.

Bob Dylan has been doing the same thing since the sixties. If anyone is surprised by what they got in Thomond Park they obviously don't know much about him. I'd never recommend him to a casual fan, he doesn't cater to that crowd. People accusing him of being arrogant make me laugh. He is probably the most arrogant musician of all time and has been since day one. It is like going to Elton John and being shocked to discover that he is a flamboyant homosexual.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I thought he was in great form and that his band were very tight as well. He seemed to do a better job than in Nowlan Park a couple of years ago.

David Gray I'm not so sure about - he was a bad choice for the event as a whole I think, and he doesn't really work in an outdoor/stadium format.

Did anyone else notice that fool shining a laser pointer?

Red Alert wrote: »
    I thought he was in great form and that his band were very tight as well. He seemed to do a better job than in Nowlan Park a couple of years ago.

David Gray I'm not so sure about - he was a bad choice for the event as a whole I think, and he doesn't really work in an outdoor/stadium format.

Did anyone else notice that fool shining a laser pointer?

Yeah I did, what a muppet. Hope he was fcuked out of there pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Curve Music

I can't fathom why anyone would pay to go to a gig so they can shine a laser pointer. What do they achieve from it? I mean if the gig is recorded do they buy the dvd to say "There's my laser"

Bet he texted a buddy saying "Brought me laser. Wot a laff. Lol"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

topper75 wrote: »

Heard from non Bob Dylan fans who had free passes to the gig and left early that he actually sounded alright. All I've heard the last while is he is pretty crap and now and again might sound good or play a decent set. The set list looked good but I was never a big Dylan fan. I wonder if he played the hits like they originally sound or were they unrecognisable?

I wouldn't be a fan of the local band that won the battle of the bands to play guest. I believe there wasn't many in the stadium that early anyway.

I wonder if he played the hits like they originally sound

You'd sooner see Manchester United play with hurleys!

I can see Dylan's point somewhat. If you are chasing that, then maybe the ticket price is best spent on buying records instead and staying at home.

You can judge other acts on their live approximations of their recordings, but that is not the yardstick for a Bob Dylan performance. It never was either in any decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

I think this debate willl probably pop up after every Dylan gig - why go see him when he's generally not regarded as a good live act etc?

I'm a big fan of Dylan, this was my first gig. I went there knowing what to expect and I really enjoyed the gig.
    He plays his songs very differently live, but why not? How dull to simply hash out the same old same old fifty years after the song was written.
    But yeah, I accept his voice sounds poor on the older songs (but suits his tracks from Together through life, Modern Times etc) and his lack of interaction is a shame.

I was up close to stage for A3 and Seasick Steve.
    a3 gave it great energy and it I thought they got the crowd going. Good live act.
    Then Steve was fantastic. What a performer, dying to see him in his own right. Really enjoyed his set.

What were Aiken upto like? Steve got 45mins to play, then Gray got like 1hr and a quarter and was main support act. What a joke. I sincerely doubt that your average Bob dylan fan will also be a fan of David Gray, no offence to him, but I just don't think it was a very intelligent call on organiser's part.

Anyway, fantastic value, €60 for an amazing day out and great live music.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

I've seen Bob 5 or 6 times now and he's never let me down. It has to be said though that his voice is getting seriously ropey at this stage and even though the band were superb as usual yesterday I'm not sure how much longer they can hold it all together.

Having said that I really enjoyed the show yesterday (including Mr. Gray)with the only mild criticism being Bob forgetting three or four verses of Tangled up in Blue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

seasick steve was awesome and got to shake his hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

I love Dylan seen him 4 times live ,never again. Wall of sound,what song is this , bits of songs you can recognise,.Total disregard for his fans(Aloof).
    Great band .

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Shane St. wrote: »
    seasick steve was awesome and got to shake his hand

The mans a legend!!!!! Got a pic with him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

I don't know what concert all you's who are complaining where are at but Dylan was fantasic! I don't understand why people go and then afterwards complain about his voice, how he changes his songs and how he doesn't interact with the crowd etc, everyone knows the score when they buy their ticket for Dylan. I personally love the fact he changes around his songs and just gets on with it and plays! Brilliant!

Seasick Steve was his usual brilliant self too, 4th time seeing him. I was also impressed with Alabama 3, really energetic! David Gray on the other hand almost bored me to tears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aristippus

we all know that the only true disappointment of the evening was that you couldn't get a beer for less than a fiver.

aristippus wrote: »
    we all know that the only true disappointment of the evening was that you couldn't get a beer for less than a fiver.

LOL - that's outdoor gigs for you.

I was playing my guitar out my own back garden last week and Tesco wanted to charge me more for the cans afterwards.

Advertisement