Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best beef for Chilli?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Making chilli the weekend...hoping to use cubed beef rather than mince and was wondering what type of beef would be best for this?

It seems anytime I do things like Chilli (or stews/casseroles) the beef can end up a bit on the tough side....I want it melt in the mouth.

If I got the butcher to cube some sirloin for me would this work or should I stick to minute/round/stewing steak?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I would stay away from the stewing beef. Minute steak cut into strips would be marvelous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Chilli is essentially just a spicy stew. Any kind of beef therefore will be fine, as the trick to melt in the mouth meat in a stew is slow cooking. I'd go with whatever was cheap and plentiful, and fairly well-marbled with fat!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

RangeR wrote: »
    I would stay away from the stewing beef. Minute steak cut into strips would be marvelous.

I'd have said the opposite. If you're going to cook it long and slow, then I'd take stewing beef over minute steak any day. But hey...each to their own.

If I wanted strips instead of cubes, I'd buy a piece of shoulder and cut it up myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Like bonkey said, if low and slow, get cheap cuts. You don't so much decide on the beef so much as you decide on the cooking time.

Personally, I use sirloin and cook in the pressure cooker for 90 minutes or so (my pressure cooker's old and doesn't quite get up to full pressure anymore I suspect); but if you had stewing beef and left it in there for 2-3 hours, it'd be like butter afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

You want Rib Steak. Use both it and minced beef together and you won't be disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shin beef is your only man for this job (definitely not minute steak).
    Cook slowly for about 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd go with a cheaper cut too. I always ask for stewing beef and cook it slow.

Advertisement