Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveys & Rank Order Questions in an imperfect world

Options
  • 10-03-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I have completed surveying to asses the feasibility of bringing a new type of travel adapter to market. I am trying to be a unbiased as possible in my approach to this & would appreciate any feedback people have to offer on my reasoning.

One of the questions in the survey is a rank order question.
    I have tried my best to bring to people's attention that this is not a standard tick the box question.
    (ie. use circles instead of boxes, highlight "rank from 1 to 7" in red, etc.)

Going through the results, there are a number of wrongly completed answers.

Here is a list of typical wrong answers & how I intend to treat them:
    I would appreciate any opinions on my approach.

One Ticked Option (Only)
    Replace tick with rank of 1
    Several options given same rank or several options ticked
    Rather than skew results by giving one person additional voting power, I propose to treat these as a tie.
    eg. If 3 options are given a rank of 1, give each of these a joint third place (rank of 3).
    Adjust other options to suit (what was chosen as rank of 2 is adjusted to a rank of 4).
    Tick(s) overwritten with the number 7
    Clear intention of person to indicate preference from 7 down to 1.
    Adjust results to indicate preference from 1 down to 7.
    I would really appreciate any feedback on this one.
    r.s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

you need to at least throw out those questions which were completed incorrectly. What you are suggesting is response fabrication - do this and it defies the point of conducting the survey!

The recommended standard is to completely throw out the whole survey response even if there are only 1 or two errors on the specific response. Hence when you read reports - "400 people sampled, 140 surveys returned, 115 were valid". The researcher would only use the 115 valid responses. Its probably the biggest challenge with conducting a mail survey.

That said, a statistical package such as SPSS can compensate for missing values if you need to keep your sample value high for the other questions - using averages to predict what the answer might have been. You should highlight this in your report if you choose to do it.

If you can, I would highly recommend attempting to survey through an online site - this will not allow the respondent enter wrong or incomplete surveys responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

That's great, thank you very much for the advice nuttlys. Unfortunately I have already done all the leg work on getting paper surveys done, but thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction on working with these.

Advertisement