Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Options

Options
  • 10-03-2010 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi,

I'm currently sitting my final year, exams coming up in about 2 months. I can only attain a pass degree as these are repeat exams i failed last year. I was thinking about doing a postgraduate course either this september or next year. From the information i have found i can only apply for a Hdip course with a pass degree, is this true? Also is a hdip course only for those people who wish to get into teaching? I'm considering Hdip courses in business/I.T.

Short of going and doing another degree course, what are my options? I have no interest in beconing a teacher by the way!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

You can get into some Masters programmes with a pass degree, different colleges have different entry requirements.

Find what you want to do, and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

Only the HDip in Education is about teaching.

I did a HDip in Statistics. It is a collection of modules from the last two years of the undergraduate degree in Statistics. It brings you up to the same level as an honours degree in Statistics. Say you want to do a masters in statistics but you have a degree in something else or you have a pass degree in statistics. You do the HDip and then do the masters after that.

I did Statistics in UCD but didn't get into 4th Year and came out at the end of 3rd Year with a pass degree (level 7). I went back and did the HDip in Statistics (level 8, same as an honours degree). Seven of the twelve modules were ones I had already done so I did better the second time around.

In September I'm going back again to do the MA Qualifier in Economics. It's half of the HDip in Economics. It will still get me into the masters in Economics but, unlike the HDip, it is not an actual qualification itself. But it's cheaper than the HDip.

Advertisement