Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it true that a full car licence no longer covers you to drive a 50cc scooter??

• 10-03-2010 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi I have a full car licence since January 2007. I have had several scooters over the last 10 years, including one which I only sold a few months ago. I have just bought another one and when I rang the insurance people, they said a full B licence doesn't cover a 50cc scooter anymore. Apparantly the rule was changed in Oct 2006. I always thought a full B licence also covered you for a moped up to 50cc.
    Gutted! I assume I will have to sit a motorbike theory test and get another provisional licence to cover me for the scooter. This seems pretty crazy as I am a fully qualified driver and have already done theory test etc years ago. Seems especially strange for a simple 50cc automatic scooter. Also I am guessing that my insurance policy on the last scooter wasn't actually valid. Anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

I'm afraid your insurance company is correct. It was the case that a car 'B' licence covered you for driving a moped but this changed several years ago. There is now a separate category 'M' on your driving licence and unless this has a date next to it I'm afraid you dont have a licence for a moped (scooter).

You will need to go back to start with the theory test, learner permit and driving test again in order to get the full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

and if your license was issues before that date, can your drive a moped? There is no category M shown anywhere on my full license..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Hi I have a full car licence since January 2007. I have had several scooters over the last 10 years, including one which I only sold a few months ago. I have just bought another one and when I rang the insurance people, they said a full B licence doesn't cover a 50cc scooter anymore. Apparantly the rule was changed in Oct 2006. I always thought a full B licence also covered you for a moped up to 50cc.
    Gutted! I assume I will have to sit a motorbike theory test and get another provisional licence to cover me for the scooter. This seems pretty crazy as I am a fully qualified driver and have already done theory test etc years ago. Seems especially strange for a simple 50cc automatic scooter. Also I am guessing that my insurance policy on the last scooter wasn't actually valid. Anyone have any experience of this?

When you go for your bike permit I'd apply for the A permit, even if you don't intend to ride bigger bikes now. It's always handy to have the option and the theory test is the same. You can hire suitable bikes for for your test. If you haven't driven a manual bike they are easy enough to get used to.

I've no link to Dave, apart from getting lessons and using his bike for my test. If you check out the Motorbike forum you'll find he comes recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

cheers Del2005. Thats a good idea to get the A licence too. Thanks for the links :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just to add lads that the same applied to the 'W' category. When I renewed my licence last time, M and W were removed. I didn't think anything of it until I was stopped while driving a self propelled crop havester. The Garda said that I should have got W added to the licence. I though I was automatically covered. I had both categories added a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just to add lads that the same applied to the 'W' category. When I renewed my licence last time, M and W were removed. I didn't think anything of it until I was stopped while driving a self propelled crop havester. The Garda said that I should have got W added to the licence. I though I was automatically covered. I had both categories added a few days later.

I got a licence recently with out any space for M or W on it, I passed my car test before 2006 so should have had them by default. My current licence has them back on but they haven't given me my M endorsement:mad:, good job I've A:D and for some reason my W is from 5 years after I passed my car test.

It would be one w@nker of a Garda that tries to do you for driving with no W licence if you have a full B since that's the way nearly everyone gets the W endorsement. If they did I say the Judge would throw the book at them.

It's not that hard to figure out if some one has automatic rights to M as the date you got your 1st licence is on your current licence and it's shouldn't be too hard for a Garda to remember the date the law changed as they are supposed to be upholding it.

Advertisement