Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP DAT 72 Tape drives

Options
  • 10-03-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

Anybody know how to copy data to an internal HP DAT72 tape drive on a HP server? for example:

I need to take data from server (a). IE: i will be copying the data from this server to an external USB hard drive. I then need to take this data to server (b) which has two internal DAT72 tape drives and copy the data from the external usb hard drive on to the tape drives. The tape drives in server (b) are installed and working properly but i just don't know how to get data from the USB drive on to the tapes. The OS does not assign a drive letter to the tape drives so i can't just copy and paste. I'm assuming that i need some sort of HP application to do this. Would this be correct? Anybody know what app i need? Does anybody have any ideas on how i might do this?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Tape is not a medium like a hard drive, you need to use program that will stream the data to the drive. What OS are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mwin80

windows 2003 server

You will be able to use NTbackup to copy the data to Tape, its on the OS.

great, thanks for the reponses. Any idea where i can find NTbackup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

NT backup is part of Server 2003 or most MS Os's

• Advertisement

Start > Run > ntbackup.exe are far as I can recall.

great stuff, thanks. I'll give it a go.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

with tape the big problem is restoring
    please label the tapes with OS and tape backup software versions

check if the server already has backup software first, as this may intefere with ntbackup and visa-vesa, the tape software may also have it's own tape drivers. If the server already has a backup app then you can use it if you are sure that the software will be available when you want to restore.

if installing tape drivers or software or patches for them, you will likely have to restart the server

Advertisement