Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seat for Newborn - help please!

Options
  • 10-03-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can someone please help me with my query about car seats?
    I have the Mammas & Pappas Pliko pramette with car seat, the car seat that came with it is designed to be used from new born age.
    However (stupid stupid stupid, I know I should've checked this months ago :( ) I only copped now that this seat is rear ward facing.
    I can't fit it into the front of my car or my husbands van as both have air bags in front passenger side that can not be switched off.
    I can fit the car seat in the back of my car, but only rear ward facing. I am petrified about driving with her facing rearwards as I won't be able to see her if she starts coughing/getting up sick.

I've googled it and can only find information suggesting that rearward facing car seats can be used with newborns or up to a certain weight which she is a long way off yet.
    How do the rest of ye manage? do you bring your newborn out in the car with the seat facing backwards? Or is there such a thing as a forward facing car seat for newborns that can be fit in the back seat of the car?

My husband is back to work and where I need is very rural/isolated so to go anywhere I need to use the car. I need to bring her to the clinic tomorrow for a check up and to go to the doctor myself, I'm in a panic now as to what to do.
    The clinic thankfully is only a few miles away but I'm worried about a long term solution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Cap, i know its a worry but because they're not lying down in the seat any sick will dribble out...and if she starts coughing just pull over and check her. you'll get used to it, i have been known to have my arm behind the chair when we're stopped in traffic sometimes rocking his seat cos he hates it when the car stops!!:eek::D, only when stopped though just before someone reprimands me!!:D It's the newness of the situation, you will overcome this:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hi,

Babies have to be rear facing up to 9 months old, it's because their necks aren't strong enough to support their head in case of an impact and could cause serious neck/head injury, they have to be able to just slump forwards instead of possibly being forced back into the seat. Up until recently I worked selling buggies, car seats etc and all the car seats we sold were rear facing and had to be.

You can buy a mirror to hang on the back headrest, a lot of people like the Bear View Mirror because babies like looking at the teddies so are more inclined to look directly at it. You hang it on the back head rest and it reflects into your rear view mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Cap, I was worried like you. Would pull over all the time cos he was in rear facing seat in the back. I even had the radio off so I could hear every little noise! I could strap the seat into the front, got my airbag disabled, but the seat is so much more secure in the back on the isofix base.
    I got a mirror, best purchase ever.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Hi all,

Can someone please help me with my query about car seats?
    I have the Mammas & Pappas Pliko pramette with car seat, the car seat that came with it is designed to be used from new born age.
    However (stupid stupid stupid, I know I should've checked this months ago :( ) I only copped now that this seat is rear ward facing.
    I can't fit it into the front of my car or my husbands van as both have air bags in front passenger side that can not be switched off.
    I can fit the car seat in the back of my car, but only rear ward facing. I am petrified about driving with her facing rearwards as I won't be able to see her if she starts coughing/getting up sick.

I've googled it and can only find information suggesting that rearward facing car seats can be used with newborns or up to a certain weight which she is a long way off yet.
    How do the rest of ye manage? do you bring your newborn out in the car with the seat facing backwards? Or is there such a thing as a forward facing car seat for newborns that can be fit in the back seat of the car?

My husband is back to work and where I need is very rural/isolated so to go anywhere I need to use the car. I need to bring her to the clinic tomorrow for a check up and to go to the doctor myself, I'm in a panic now as to what to do.
    The clinic thankfully is only a few miles away but I'm worried about a long term solution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

First timers are so cute. :P

Don't worry, millions of babies ride rear-facing for the first few months.

Your child is much more likely to to get injured because you wreck while staring over your shoulder then because of any small car related sick.

Get a little mirror, no big thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Baby has to go rear facing till nine months like another poster suggested.

Get yourself one of these, you'll be able to see baby no bother to make sure they are ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks a mill all for the replies, I blame the hormones I had such a melt down earlier over it.
    I'm normally a relatively calm and competent person, I don't recognise this completely flaky post pregnancy me! :mad:

That makes a lot of sense about the rear facing seat being the safer way to transport baby.
    Tomorrow is my first time bringing her out in the car myself, she's so tiny I'm a bit terrified at the thoughts of it but I know its just my hormones making me irrational.

I'll definitely pick up one of those mirrors so I can keep an eye on her. :)

It'll do us both good to get out of the house, I think too much time alone is making me turn little obstacles into big drama's :rolleyes:

Advertisement