Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catnip

Options
  • 10-03-2010 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to get organic catnip refills in North Dublin? We're looking after a cat for a while and he's VERY picky. Maybe we should just grow the stuff...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Easy to grow;ask googe for catnitp seeds ireland

Enjoy!

Confab wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to get organic catnip refills in North Dublin? We're looking after a cat for a while and he's VERY picky. Maybe we should just grow the stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've often wondered if catnip worth getting. I have the idea from someone that only males react to it. I have two females. Does anyone else find that their female cat likes it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

There's a big pet shop in Balgriffin near the cemetary and Campions pub... not being funny but is it called Balgriffin pet shop? They sell all sorts in there, great shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think if you grow it then you have to keep it somewhere the cat can't get it whenever he wants, or he'll just eat it all . . . I remember hearing that somewhere.

I've always kinda wondered though, if it makes a cat kinda "high" then is there a chance they'll just walk in front of a car or do something equally stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

My cat (female) is completely oblivious to the stuff.

She gets hypnotised by lavander though! (doesn't eat it of course)

If you're not sure it works just buy some in a pet shop and try it. As for growing your own it's probably a very good idea, not to mention a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

morganafay wrote: »
    I've always kinda wondered though, if it makes a cat kinda "high" then is there a chance they'll just walk in front of a car or do something equally stupid.
    Ive read that the "effects" only last couple of minutes so just give it to him indoors. I also read that it depends on genetics. Apparently most cats in Australia dont respond to it at all because of where theyve descended from but up to 80% of UK ones do which is gas. Not sure if its just moggies or pedigrees though. Valerian root seems to have an effect aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

crótach wrote: »
    My cat (female) is completely oblivious to the stuff.

She gets hypnotised by lavander though! (doesn't eat it of course)

If you're not sure it works just buy some in a pet shop and try it. As for growing your own it's probably a very good idea, not to mention a lot cheaper.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Ive read that the "effects" only last couple of minutes so just give it to him indoors. I also read that it depends on genetics. Apparently most cats in Australia dont respond to it at all because of where theyve descended from but up to 80% of UK ones do which is gas. Not sure if its just moggies or pedigrees though. Valerian root seems to have an effect aswell.

A clip I viewed some time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Its easy enough to grow your own (wow that sounds sooo dodgy! ;)) but if you would like some in the meantime this stuff is the best I've found,no stalks or fillers just ground organic buds: http://www.mollys.ie/yeowww-loose-catnip-0-5oz.html

If you keep it in a tupperare box you can put older toys in to "marinate" in it for a while to refresh them or just sprinkle it on the carpet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Mink wrote: »
    I've often wondered if catnip worth getting. I have the idea from someone that only males react to it. I have two females. Does anyone else find that their female cat likes it?

I have a male and a female cat and they both love it!

They love sniffing it, then rolling around all over the floor and pushing their faces into where I had the cat nip on the floor! It only lasts a little while, then they're over looking for more. They don't really have any crazy effects to it though, but it seems they love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

My cat loves Valerian root,a mate had valerian tea in a bag and she went mental trying to get it,so we gave her a tea bag and she loved it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement