Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last book you couldn't finish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭wijam

corblimey wrote: »
    Title says it all really. What's the last book you read that was just too bad to finish?

For me, it's The Damned United. I just couldn't. Stand the writing. Style.
    Just after seeing this thread there now and from the title I hought The Damned United - just like the OP, terrible style of writing, was told it was a great book, but just couldn't read it.

On a side note, see the film there a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

6 weeks, that thing took me, 6. fcuking. weeks.

It's a very misleading titled. It should have been called "a 19th Century Guide to Whaling". :mad:
    I always make sure to bring it on holiday with me because I can always find something I'd rather do than read Moby fecking Dick.

Titus Groan was a hard slog too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Which was disappointing for me because I loved the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Stardust!! It actually killed me trying to get through it, I actually read three other books while reading this. I did get through it in the end but I will NEVER be picking it up again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

The picture of dorian gray, what a tedious book.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

damselnat wrote: »
    The Beautiful and Damned - my second go at it. I think I just got distracted by other books, I'm going to give it another go in the next few weeks, took me about three goes to really "get" The Great Gatsby, and it's now one of my favourite novels, so I'm going to persevere with Beautiful, hope it's as rewarding :)

I really don't think it's anywhere near as good as Gatsby or Tender is the Night, it's an ok read but he was still finding his voice at that point, parts of it are very dense, unlike his usual effortless style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭mwexford

fionav3 wrote: »
    John McGahern's That they may face the rising sun. And I HATE not being able to finish a book but this is just so...eh. Great book if you're having trouble falling asleep though, will put you right off in a matter of minutes! :D

The one that always sent me to sleep was Sophie's World - I persevered, but I wonder now why I did. because I really couldn't make it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Warrior Saint

It is very rare that I will simply give up on a book. The last book I couldn't finish was The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Even though I am from a financial background and this was a mass market book I simply was way too bored and confused to go past half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

The one that was pulling teeth for me lately was The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. It was recommended to me by a friend trying to get me to read authors that are still alive. This book was brutal, I don't know if it was because it was translated from Hindi, but...well let's leave it at that...
    And when I saw it on the List of 1001 Books to Read Before You Die (well to say the least the title is miscontrued).

Give me a Turgenev or some other dead author...anytime :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Bleak House.

Good god, it's a ****ing chore to say the least, long, long, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong book.
    One of my favourite books ever! Yes, the start was a bit tedious with the fog, and the fog, and the fog... but it gets great!

• Advertisement

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Stardust!! It actually killed me trying to get through it, I actually read three other books while reading this. I did get through it in the end but I will NEVER be picking it up again!!!
    Yeah, it's amazing how dull the book is considering the movie is so great (IMO).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah, it's amazing how dull the book is considering the movie is so great (IMO).
    Really? I'm the other way round. I love the book, but thought that the film was just silly, especially the de Niro bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Not sure if this counts but I couldn't finish the Stand for nearly 3yrs and then I eventually forces myself into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

sfmonet wrote: »
    The one that was pulling teeth for me lately was The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. It was recommended to me by a friend trying to get me to read authors that are still alive. This book was brutal, I don't know if it was because it was translated from Hindi, but...well let's leave it at that...
    And when I saw it on the List of 1001 Books to Read Before You Die (well to say the least the title is miscontrued).

Give me a Turgenev or some other dead author...anytime :-)

Agree completely, such an awful book. For some reason, a lot of rubbish seems to drift towards the Booker prize...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Surprised to see these come up:

The Stand
    The Portrait of Dorian Gray
    The Hobbit
    American Psycho
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Catch 22 [Closing Time was good too I thought]

as I think they are all excellent, and easy to read.

Almost shocked to see Dune come up :eek: What is wrong with you?

I also didn't finish Under the Dome; just never got interested in it. I agree that Chuck Palahniuk's more recent books are much worse than his first ones.

kylith wrote: »
    Really? I'm the other way round. I love the book, but thought that the film was just silly, especially the de Niro bits.
    No way, loved it! Had to force myself to keep going with the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

Very rare for me to not finish a book, usually force myself to finish one I don't like, but any time it has happened it's been a so called classic or an award winning book, not sure what that says about me.

Couldn't finish:

A Clockwork Orange
    Catch 22
    Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

pwd wrote: »
    Surprised to see these come up:

The Stand

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that I didn't like the book, I thought it was great, it was just the sheer volume of text and the amount of pages it took to introduce the characters. It wears on you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

1424, Gavin Menzies

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

The Soft Machine by William Burroughs..

I could not get through it at all.. There are a few funny paragraphs, but most of the cut up, jumbled words are just a chore to read. I have enjoyed other books of his, but this one was just too hard to get into..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MadRush

one day in the life of ivan denisovich by alexander solzhenitzyn

tried really hard, but couldn't get through the tedium....

kinda ashamed, as it's about the soviet concentration camps, but hey...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

i'm surprised that people didn't like catch 22 i thought it was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MadRush

i'm surprised that people didn't like catch 22 i thought it was great

i couldn't stop reading it....its like falling down a hole :P

when i finished it i felt like i'd been slapped in the face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

dark volume by gordon dahlquist, sequel to glass books of the dream eaters. Loved the first book, love the writing but it was left too open ended to not buy the second, then the second just kept trying to reiterate what happened in the first book, got really annoying. But still wanted to finish it. Was secretly hoping the film would come out soon after but im still waiting.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

I can't put my finger on why. I was about 1/3 the way through and just never went back to it.

Can't think of any others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Very surprised to see Robinson Crusoe mentioned, I love that book! Must have read it ten times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

THe Princess Bride... I got side tracked by The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama Ill go back to it... haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭alabandical

Funny to see Catch 22 coming up so often, I didn't finish it either and I know a few other people who couldn't as well.

Joseph O'Connor's 'The Star of the Sea' had to be put down too, found it wasn't picking up at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Joseph O'Connor's 'The Star of the Sea' will try reading again in a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

femur61 wrote: »
    Joseph O'Connor's 'The Star of the Sea' will try reading again in a year.

I really loved that book, can be a little challengine with its format at first but you get used to that and when it all starts falling in together you wont be able to stop reading. An excellent story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

"Grapes", I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Lupine

House of Pain, through the rooms of mayo football
    by Keith Duggan

It was too painful :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

I cannot put a book down no matter how bad ! The only one I ever did was Alan Carr's, How to give up smoking permanently. I had fixed a date for the fags and it arrived to my great relief before I had gotten to the end of the drivel. The book was the one and only to ever crash against the wall in my house.The best I've read lately, the third book of the dragon tattoo series, the girl who kicked a hornets nest. the second one was a bit tedious, but worth it for the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CiaraG75

Foleyart, I've just had a good laugh because I came on here to say I couldn't get through the Hornet's Nest. I loved the first two books but just couldn't get into number 3. I found it way too bogged down in the political history of Sweden, so I gave up after about 100 pages. Would be tempted to pick it up again if I thought it got any better.....

I used to be the same as you in that I would never not finish a book, but recently I've come to the conclusion that life's just too short to waste it finishing bad books. Another one that I couldn't get through recently was John Banvilles The Infinities - really awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Under the Dome by Stephen King. Usually I like a bit of easy reading, but it just hit me that I was reading something that had become too familiar after reading a few King novels.

I just couldn't be bothered reading more G vs E told in the samey style.

After being told how accessible it was, I was ashamed at how hard going I found A Brief History Of Time (Hawking), but I won't admit to quitting it, I'm just giving it a rest.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Really struggled to finish American Psycho, I actually had to put it down twice to read other books just for a break. Other than the very last few pages, the remainder of the book could have been chopped up an re-inserted in random order. There is no plot! Finished it in the end and really wished I hadn't bothered.

Also I found 1984 too thoroughly depressing (also I began to think in Newspeak) and stopped quite close to the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

:pac:The Brain that Changes itself by Norman Doidge- excellent book but for some reason I keep leaving it down for months at a time,
    Also " The Wasp Factory " by Ian Banks...its only about 280 pages and Ive been 'chipping away' at it for six months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Although I still consider it a work in progress:pac:, and I can't exactly think why, I put down Catch 22 one year ago and never picked it up again. When I think of the parts I did read it was quite funny but I'm guessing I bought something that I wanted to read sooner and just never got back to it. I'll start it again some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

Emma by Jane Austen

dull dull dull

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

I Curse the River of Time by Per Petterson

Major snoozefest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

The Womens Room by Marilyn French.

Ground breaking in it's day I believe, but I just couldn't get past the first few chapters. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

Revolutionary Road. Just a real struggle.
    #
    Ah no....that was an almost perfect novel.Beautifully written and paced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
    I make a point never to leave a book unfinished so I WILL come back to it at some stage but for now something in the way its written just grates on me.

Anyone else have a similar feeling about it?:confused:

Journey to the End of Night by Céline.

Just couldn't get into it at all, I'll give it another shot sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

2 books I couldn't finish in recent times:

Under The Dome - Very long and tedious; cardboard characters. I gave up around 50 pages from the end. Just couldn't do it any more.

The Road - Pretentious twaddle. Over-rated cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The Human Touch by Michael Frayn: I love science books in the style of A Complete History of Nearly Everything, but my brain was about to melt with all the theories and factoids crammed into each sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

I am halfway through Norwegian Wood by Murakami. I really don't like it but I am wondering is all of his stuff this dull or should I try something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Zadkiel wrote: »
    The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
    I make a point never to leave a book unfinished so I WILL come back to it at some stage but for now something in the way its written just grates on me.

Anyone else have a similar feeling about it?:confused:

I actually did finish The Satanic Verses. It took a few attempts but once I got into it I was flying. I won't say it was easy, there were sometimes I had to go back a few pages and re read what I had just read to know what was going on but I did finish it and I feel that I 'get' it. Then I bought Midnight's Children, another Salman Rushdie classic. I got to maybe 100 pages before I gave up, figuring that life is too short. Nothing gripped me, nothing seemed to happen. Just chapter after chapter of character building which I found to be too much. I read a synopsis of the plot and it does sound good but reading shouldn't be a chore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I tried and I tried but I could not finish The Wings of The Dove by Henry James.

An utter chore of ploughing through impenetrably complex prose that was about as clear as mud. After a while I realised that life is too short.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Catch 22, you'd have to be mad to read it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement