Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless gone?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 7:10pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I think somethings gone wrong with my wireless router (Belkin 54g), had it for at least a year working fine, but about 2 weeks ago it cut out, came back after awhile and I thought nothing of it, then it happened a week later. In the last day or so it's been working on and off, seemingly at random.

Plugging in an ethernet cable into the modem works so everything seems fine up to that point. Shouldn't be a problem with my laptop, as my ps3 couldn't connect either.

Most of the time my laptop can detect the signal, but can't seem to connect, even though it says it has full signal. Other times it says it only has limited connectivity (which seems to be pretty useless :p)

The "Internet" and "Wireless" lights on the router occasionally go (not at the same time usually) but plenty of times both are on and I still cannot connect.

Any observations/advice would be very helpful, cheers.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Is your PS3 on the wireless as well?

Could be nearby wireless signals interfering.
    Download netstumbler and check channel numbers.

Otherwise what wireless security do you have? if you have WEP then you could have been hacked and someone is having a free for all download spree

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

PS3 is on the wireless yeah.

I am using WEP, but I'd be fairly surprised if that's the problem, most of my neighbours are quite old :P

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Speaking as one of those oldies I can assure you plenty of people over 21 have wireless!

Check and see if there are any channels near yours - it could also be that someone has added a tv sender to their household they can be lethal for wireless.

Advertisement