Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court case sucesses

Options
  • 10-03-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭

Apprently there was another victory for us gunowners today in Tralee DC.
    That now puts it at 5 to 1 in our favour of cases down this side of the country.Rumour has it ,also a bunch of lads got theirs in the Kildare area?
    Great to hear,and shame on the Minister and Gardai for letting it come to this stage of wasted Garda manhours,taxpayers money and stress caused.I really hope they also applied for ,and got their costs as well.

Might be an idea for here to start reporting in sucess stories and use this thread for a "drop in " for the press clippings,so the mods can then post them to the appropriate locked thread?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Excellent stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

anymore info on the kildare lads ? was it the courts overturning the refusals or a chief super with a bit of grey matter and a mind of his own granting them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

3 x friends of mine in court this Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

3 x friends of mine in court this Friday

How did they get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Just wondering if anyone has lost their district court appeal? and if so whats the next stage,high court?

• Advertisement

daveob007 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has lost their district court appeal? and if so whats the next stage,high court?

They all seem to be getting put back until september , maybe there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't as yet know about , another chief superintendents witches sabbath maybe :rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

How did they get on?

Waiting to hear :(

As soon as I hear I'll post it here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

rowa wrote: »
    They all seem to be getting put back until september , maybe there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't as yet know about , another chief superintendents witches sabbath maybe :rolleyes: .

Mine was put back back till may wonder are they going to compensate for wasting a whole years club membership and alarm monitoring fees plus storage fees and last but not leased legal fees,probably a shuffle in the ranks thats why the delay when is the commissioner retiring? or waiting for pending supreme court cases to finish since they seem to be losing in the district court one thing is for sure there is still no uniformity and equality even at senior level

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fact! The only way to get that kind of compensation is a joint or seperate action against Dermot Aherne and Factna Murphy for this loss of monies and time...Not to mind stress,trauma and whatever else a most litigatious barrister can throw at them:mad:
    As for Sept,reckon it is until the Supreme court decides on the Charlton decision.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

just wondering if there will be any discrimination cases from all of this,ie if a particular judge grants one person and refuses another on exactly the same grounds.
    one thing for sure is that this is going to go on for a good while yet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

daveob007 wrote: »
    just wondering if there will be any discrimination cases from all of this,ie if a particular judge grants one person and refuses another on exactly the same grounds.
    one thing for sure is that this is going to go on for a good while yet..

There are 9 grounds upon which it is illegal to discriminate in this country:
    1. Gender
    2. Marital Status
    3. Family Status
    4. Sexual Orientation
    5. Religion
    6. Age
    7. Disability
    8. Race
    9. Membership of the Traveller Community.

So, unless the judge is stupid enough to only grant licences to straight white male married Catholics, aged 25-55, with kids, four working limbs and a semi-detached house, the answer to your question is going to be "No".

(OK, that's a facetious answer, but you get my drift, I'm sure!)

There are 9 grounds upon which it is illegal to discriminate in this country:
    1. Gender
    2. Marital Status
    3. Family Status
    4. Sexual Orientation
    5. Religion
    6. Age
    7. Disability
    8. Race
    9. Membership of the Traveller Community.

So, unless the judge is stupid enough to only grant licences to straight white male married Catholics, aged 25-55, with kids, four working limbs and a semi-detached house, the answer to your question is going to be "No".

(OK, that's a facetious answer, but you get my drift, I'm sure!)

ok , but you get cases for instance of two guys both in their 30's living in the same district , have similar pistols , are in the same club and are as active in shooting and competing as each other and yet one is granted a licence and the other is not.

that to me is discrimination .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

ok , but you get cases for instance of two guys both in their 30's living in the same district , have similar pistols , are in the same club and are as active in shooting and competing as each other and yet one is granted a licence and the other is not.

Do you? Has this actually happened? Where?
    If it did happen, on refusal the senior FO and Super would have to give a reason and it would have to be acceptable to the Court. What the Yanks call "just cause" is a similar requirement this side of the pond.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

On what grounds?
    As I said there's 9 of them. It's perfectly legal to discriminate on the grounds that you dislike someone, or that the Super or Judge or whoever thought one of them was a bit shifty when they met. Unless the two guys are different in one of those specific nine ways, there's no discrimination case. If one was gay and one wasn't, then there might be a case, but AFAIK (and IANAL) the person discriminated against would need to be able to show that his sexuality was the grounds used for refusal.

I'm sorry, but just because that's discrimination to you, it doesn't mean that it is to the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Bang on (if you pardon the pun). Although I think it's more incompetance rather than discrimination.

I used to shoot a Sig Pro 9mm and a .22 Mosquito at my range. My buddy also ownes a Sig pro 9mm and shoots at the same range. Buddy Number 2 has a .22 Mosquito as well. So here is the present circumstances.

Knockon.

1. No Sig Pro 9mm and no .22 mosquito as it's in storage in a gun dealers costing €5 a week.
    2. Not a member of the range anymore.
    3. Looking at a present legal bill of 2K (so far) - we won't expand any more on that as the walls have ears.
    4. Applied on Oct 29th 2009 and refused both licenses by the CS on his last day in the job on Nov 16th.

Knockon's Buddy No. 1

1. Has his Sig Pro in his gun safe.
    2. Member of the range.
    3. Using the 2k to go on vacation with the wife and kids for a week in Lahinch.
    4. Applied to another G.S. as he is living 5 miles away from me and his application did not make the "Cull of Nov 16th". Neither he nor I have no idea why.

Knockon's Buddy No. 2

1. Has his .22 Mosquito in his gun safe.
    2. Member of the range.
    3. Using his 2K to put shoes and clothes on the kids.
    4. Also applied to another G.S. as in Buddy No 1 above.

So as Rowa pointed out similar, age, same Garda District, members of the same club, travelled in each other cars, compete against each other at the range etc. Buddies 3, 4 and 5 are in the same boat as myself all courtesy of the old CS in Henry St Limerick who like his counterparts all over the State had'nt the balls to make the decision themselves and have left us swimming in the manure. "Good Reason"...FFS... they don't know the meaning of Reason.

By the way it's March 30th for the D.C. but surprise surprise the State may be putting it back. Its no surprise when you hear the crap Inspector Clouseau Brooks was coming up with in the cases the State lost in Cork and Kerry. Surely the penny has dropped that quoting Janes Military Firearms reference books and "I saw a Range on Youtube once" is not earning any Kudos with the Courts.

Ok ... deep breaths...

no apparently youtube and wikipedia are old hat and now its standing up in the dock and trying to say "dunblane" as many times as possible in connection with your pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 love to shoot

knockon wrote: »
    Bang on (if you pardon the pun). Although I think it's more incompetance rather than discrimination.

I used to shoot a Sig Pro 9mm and a .22 Mosquito at my range. My buddy also ownes a Sig pro 9mm and shoots at the same range. Buddy Number 2 has a .22 Mosquito as well. So here is the present circumstances.

Knockon.

1. No Sig Pro 9mm and no .22 mosquito as it's in storage in a gun dealers costing €5 a week.
    2. Not a member of the range anymore.
    3. Looking at a present legal bill of 2K (so far) - we won't expand any more on that as the walls have ears.
    4. Applied on Oct 29th 2009 and refused both licenses by the CS on his last day in the job on Nov 16th.

Knockon's Buddy No. 1

1. Has his Sig Pro in his gun safe.
    2. Member of the range.
    3. Using the 2k to go on vacation with the wife and kids for a week in Lahinch.
    4. Applied to another G.S. as he is living 5 miles away from me and his application did not make the "Cull of Nov 16th". Neither he nor I have no idea why.

Knockon's Buddy No. 2

1. Has his .22 Mosquito in his gun safe.
    2. Member of the range.
    3. Using his 2K to put shoes and clothes on the kids.
    4. Also applied to another G.S. as in Buddy No 1 above.

So as Rowa pointed out similar, age, same Garda District, members of the same club, travelled in each other cars, compete against each other at the range etc. Buddies 3, 4 and 5 are in the same boat as myself all courtesy of the old CS in Henry St Limerick who like his counterparts all over the State had'nt the balls to make the decision themselves and have left us swimming in the manure. "Good Reason"...FFS... they don't know the meaning of Reason.

By the way it's March 30th for the D.C. but surprise surprise the State may be putting it back. Its no surprise when you hear the crap Inspector Clouseau Brooks was coming up with in the cases the State lost in Cork and Kerry. Surely the penny has dropped that quoting Janes Military Firearms reference books and "I saw a Range on Youtube once" is not earning any Kudos with the Courts.

Ok ... deep breaths...
    `

in the same area refused .22 and 9mm suprised to hear he issued any i dont know anybody around who got anything loads thay were refused but i think it is all down to him. took the bull by the horns just before christmas picked one of the list went to station asked for FO asked for what (doooo) showed a printout of what i wanted one garda said no chance i said its on the list the decision can be made here. the super came down said he cant refuse all boxes ticked asked how long for approval he said it's done give in paper work. went home phoned dealer got number put in paper work that day letter two days later it will take upto 3 months for approval licence first post after christmas. fastest i ever had so i think our chief super just dosent like guns or has no balls. and i still dont have it DOJ only gave import a few days ago over 3 months later but will i have some fun when i get it the rifle needs a rest but not for long.
    because as the name says love to shoot if all else fails i have my bow and slingshot:pac::pac::pac::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ps........ still fighting the others because there mine

no apparently youtube and wikipedia are old hat and now its standing up in the dock and trying to say "dunblane" as many times as possible in connection with your pistol.

And actual REVELANCE to the Irish situation would be precisely???
    FFS! Scaremongering of incidents outside the juristiction of the Irish bananna Republic is now evidence in an Irish court???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Oh well then police brutality is totally endemic ,or will happen in the future in the Gardai...Because the UK police forces regulary beat up and threatened "Thick Paddies" or "provo Bstads" living in the UK in the same time frame of Dunblane and Hungerford, and because the Gardai have regular contacts with the UK police forces going by that "logical arguement".:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

knockon wrote: »

big snip.........the old CS in Henry St Limerick who like his counterparts all over the State had'nt the balls to make the decision themselves and have left us swimming in the manure........... .big snip

Good post. I actually wonder about the role of the CS's and the DoJ/MoJ in this.
    I believe it's part of the "blame game" where the Min/DoJ are trying to cover ass by offloading the decision onto the local gardai. So, if anything goes wrong the politicos can blame the local gardai. That was made quite clear in my view by responses to the Parliamentary questions asked by (I think) Michael Noonan.
    Make sure that your solicitor includes your storage costs in your claim.
    Best of luck with the action,
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey folks we don't expect literary masterpieces but can we ask that people make an effort with punctuation and the structure of their posts.

love to shoot I'm looking at you :D

Thanks

• Advertisement

anymore successes or failures in the courts recently ? it seems to have gone quiet court-wise in the past couple of weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

Apparently there was a case/cases lost in dundalk last week, would be interested in hearing any details!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

From the District Court Clerk:
    An appeal was refused at Dundalk Court on 25.3.2010.
    No written judgement is available.
    There are a number of appeals still in the list on various dates in
    April May and June on the second Tuesdays.
    The Court agreed with the views expressed by Chief Supt. Magee but the DCC didn't recall the specifics of those offhand - this was a reserved decision from the hearing of evidence on Feb.9 this year.

thanks sparks, its about as much as i heard, apparently the judge made a comment that if the CS was not willing to grant them then neither was he, a worrying development for the above mentioned cases still pending

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

If that is the case then he has made his decision regardless of the evidence before him or the requirements under law so there is ample grounds for appeal to a higher court.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Bananaman wrote: »
    If that is the case then he has made his decision regardless of the evidence before him or the requirements under law so there is ample grounds for appeal to a higher court.

B'Man

Ample grounds indeed; a rumour based on an anonymous account of an unreported case. The appeal should be lodged immediately.

BornToKill wrote: »
    Ample grounds indeed; a rumour based on an anonymous account of an unreported case. The appeal should be lodged immediately.

Agreed, but its hard not to be frustrated! I am hoping the full facts come to light sooner rather than later. Interestingly this is the ministers home constituency!! Not that id be implying anything by that, its just interesting is all :D

Lot of funny things go on in Min Ahernes constituency.Like people running combat courses with self awarded medals and baronies.:rolleyes:
    So somthing like that wouldnt be out of the norm.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BornToKill wrote: »
    Er, it's not anonymous, that's the account from the District Court Clerk (you can just call these folks up or email them y'know).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Sparks, I wasn't referring to your post but unless the DC Clerk went on to ascribe to the judge the views hk claims he made public then the relevant part is indeed anonymous,
    hk wrote: »
    apparently the judge made a comment that if the CS was not willing to grant them then neither was he, a worrying development for the above mentioned cases still pending

Advertisement