Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterstone's guide to science fiction and fantasy

Options
  • 10-03-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Waterstone’s guide to science fiction and fantasy

We see quite a few science fiction and fantasy threads on the forum, so I thought I'd put up a guide I found. This was posted on the BookMooch mailing list. Its an introduction to the various sub-genre's involved and gives quite a few recommendations. Especially good are pages 12 & 13, which gives a list of "if you like this author, you'll love this author" for about 10 different writers.

I haven't really read any of either genre, excepting the Lord of the Rings, but with such an accessible guide its something to look into!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Nice find.

A good list of books, a really great mix of classics and quality modern stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I think I will go and buy "Consider Plebas" by Iain M Banks thanks to this list. I really enjoyed the wasp factory, but I am always a bit anxious buying any new science fiction after the hours wasted on Terry Goodkind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

raah! wrote: »
    I think I will go and buy "Consider Plebas" by Iain M Banks thanks to this list. I really enjoyed the wasp factory, but I am always a bit anxious buying any new science fiction after the hours wasted on Terry Goodkind.

I thought it was very good. It's very well-written and within the context you won't have a hard time suspending disbelief. It's usually quite cheap too.

Advertisement