Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Lining 3 Bed Semi & General Heating Upgrade

Options
  • 10-03-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently looking into dry lining our 3 bed semi-detached house. The house was built in the 1970's so the insulation isn't great. The box room on the gable end was dry lined a few years ago and it retains the heat great. The bathroom was also done recently.

I will also be looking into replacing all the windows later this year but I thought I would start here. I also plan to apply for the grants currently available for dry lining.

Do people think the best thing to do would be replace the windows first and then dry line as then we can get the windows properly sealed when the dry lining is done.

Would anyone have ball park figures on the cost of this job?

Also, our boiler is quite old so we are looking at replacing with a higher efficient boiler along with the heating controls which there is grants for.

How much would the heating upgrade cost?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Dry lining cost €50/m2 of wall area . So measure your building width and depth and add up
    width ( front ) + depth + ( side ) + width ( rear ) and multiply by height ( measure at stairway )

Measure through the windows( include their areas ) and this will provide costing for replacement internal cills and the detailing around the opening

Add €250 each to allow for plumber and electrician to alter elecs and rads

Add width ( front ) + depth + ( side ) + width ( rear ) and multiply by 2 to estimate quanity of skirtings . Provide €10 /meter
    1. Replacement boiler - €2.5-3K
    2. Repacement cyinder ( probably needed ) - €1.5-2K
    3. Replumb to provide 3 separate zones ( if you choose this ) €2 -2.5K plus
      hard-for-me -here - to estimate cost of disruption to your existing flooring
      or - alternative ( less good - no grant )
      Allow €70 per rad to fit thermostatic rad valves

It would be better to do windows first . Measure them and expect prices to vary between €300 - 400+ per m2 depending on spec .

You did not mention redecoration . This will depend on spec .

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Have you pumped the remaining cavity (if you have one) in the walls?

Cheap and effective.

Also, at the costs listed above, external insulation starts to look like another option worth considering

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I just got my entire house internally insulated and replastered and a new central heating system installed with a Stovax Stockton 8 multi fuel stove in the living room.I also had 37mm insulated board put up on the ceilings and the entire house replastered internally,and had the attic rockwooled up to the hilt.

Sweet mother of jesus,some job indeed and some heat.

Lower bills in the future too.:D

What costs paddy ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

sinnerboy wrote: »
    What costs paddy ?

Dont know the exact cost,as its part of a bigger overall house revamp.

New heating system for the entire house was/is around the 8K mark and the insulation is a few K too.The entire house is now internally insulated and replastered.Some job indeed.

I,ll try and work out exact costs tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sinnerboy wrote: »
    [*]Replacement boiler - €2.5-3K
    [*]Repacement cyinder ( probably needed ) - €1.5-2K
    [*]Replumb to provide 3 separate zones ( if you choose this ) €2 -2.5K plus
    hard-for-me -here - to estimate cost of disruption to your existing flooring
    or - alternative ( less good - no grant )
    Allow €70 per rad to fit thermostatic rad valves
    [/LIST]
    is that not a bit on the high side sb?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭OnLooker

paddy147 wrote: »
    I just got my entire house internally insulated and replastered and a new central heating system installed with a Stovax Stockton 8 multi fuel stove in the living room.I also had 37mm insulated board put up on the ceilings and the entire house replastered internally,and had the attic rockwooled up to the hilt.

Sweet mother of jesus,some job indeed and some heat.

Lower bills in the future too.:D

Did you get the external walls dry lined as well as insulating your internal walls. I would interested in your heating system spec & controls as we plan to totally revamp later this year

muffler wrote: »
    is that not a bit on the high side sb?

It's what I paid to
    decommission the oil boiler located externally together with old copper cylinder
    re route primary pipework to utility located in central position on the ground floor plan ( lifting and replacing boards etc )
    install gas pipework ( new gas supply )
    install 92% efficient condensing boiler
    200 litre factory insulated cylinder plus 3 bar pump
    2 rads re located

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

One thing to consider when dry lining external walls internally is the cold bridge effect on the wall between the ceiling and the first floor level. The walls are dry lined up the the Ground floor ceiling and then from the first floor floor level to the first floor ceiling. If it is an old house then the floor void will not have any insulation in it.
    Due to condensattion mould can then form in on the external wall in this space. I do not have a solution but tend to advocate external wall insulation as it eliminates the likelyhood of cold bridging.

OP, if you are installing windows first be sure to allow for width of insulated plasterboard on jambs and heads. Windows will need to be smaller than they are now. Builder should/could advise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement