Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"This house believes that one cannot be truly moral without God" (NUIM, 30th March)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

No it is not my language that points towards any such thing. I am commenting on the language of others. Commenting on the language of others does not make their language my language by proxy.

In any situation where a person feels they are somehow in the “right” and someone else is in the “wrong” they use language will reflect that. This language neither:

a) Shows that the person using it is in fact in the “right”
    Nor
    b) That there even is a “right” for them to be in in the first place.

However yes, I already agreed that there are universals that we appeal to. I just do not agree that that universal is any kind of objective morality, especially since no evidence is being offered that such an entity even exists.

The universals we infact appeal to are those of common truths about the human condition which we all share… the wish to avoid pain and misery in ourselves and those we care for… the wish to perpetrate pleasure and happiness in ourselves and those we care for…

The moral positions we build are based on and constrained by those commonalities, not by an objective right or wrong the very existence of which is being presented sans evidence here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Jakkass wrote: »
    My point just was that your language itself points towards an absolute form of good and evil.

In reality, as much as people would like to engage in pretence about how morality is constructed, people operate on a day to day basis by appealing to universals in every day moral dilemmas.

People appeal to universials all the time. People say "That was a bad movie", rather than "That was in my opinion a bad movie". Or "Liver tastes horrible" rather than "Liver tastes horrible to me"

It would be a mistake to read too much into this, because my girlfriend says "That is a terrible terrible movie" I don't infer from that that she believes in some sort of movie deity that decides universal standards of movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dave! wrote: »
    rly? Is that him in video 3?

Based on this
    Jakkass wrote:
    yep my MSN is gareth[at]uberboards.net (replace [at] with @)
    Jakkass wrote:
    I set up my own blog at http://www.gpeoples.net and put your page on the blogroll. Check it out if you wish, and maybe put mine up in return if you want
    Yes it was.

A google search of 'Gareth Peoples Jakkass' with "Pages from Ireland" selected popped that page up as the first result so I don't think the info's that private :D

Advertisement