Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The two alfas, yes.

The other two dirtboxes, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nothing wrong with te 406 at all. They are everywhere as minicabs in the uk.

Almost bought a gorgeous auto one with full leather but it ended up just out of my budget at the time and went for a Xantia I was looking at at the time.

I'd personally have no problem buying a well looked after Laguna II, but that's me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Like every car that isn't a soulless run of the mill a to b box of metal the Alfa's will probably require a bit more minding but when minded and maintained properly you shouldn't have a problem.

The other two cars are so boring I've forgotten what they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Get a 156! I have one and it puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. My interior isn't dissimilar to what you have in the link there, although I do have nicer seats. Yeah the electrics are made by toddlers but nothing major has given up, it has started first time every time in the year that I've owned it, and that could be with drives ten days apart. It gives me whiplash every time I leave it, I can't stop looking back at it again and again just to admire it.

rc7jbo.jpgw7cw1u.jpg2clg9g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd have the Alfa 156 or the Peugeot 406. Having owned both, I think that the 406 is an extremely underrated car. The engine (mine was a 2.0 petrol) was only adequate, but the suspension was what really impressed me. It handled almost as well as the Alfa on perfect tarmac, but was streets ahead on poorer roads/over speed ramps etc. If only the Alfa had had that suspension set-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anan1 wrote: »
    , but the suspension was what really impressed me..

You should have it with Citroen badges and hydropneumatic suspension. I do.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'd be going for a 406 HDI auto. There appears to be a Lambo behind the silver 156 btw... kind of puts the 156 to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

The 406 would be my choice....Hdi!

Laguna, would not mind taking it for a spin.....

Having owned a 156 I can say it broke my heart with the trouble I had with it...It just would not STOP messing me about, I felt like crying the last 3 months of ownership. Handled fine and lovely to look at but thats it really.
    Never again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I always faniced a 147, but the pug would probably sway me with the hdi, great engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Confab wrote: »
    I'd be going for a 406 HDI auto. There appears to be a Lambo behind the silver 156 btw... kind of puts the 156 to shame.

Yep, I'd take a picture of my (Shetland) pony beside the bull :o, can't afford a Gallardo just yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

After watching 'Ronin', I'd go with the 406! :D

The taxi 406s with mega miles on them are diesel, wouldn't fancy a petrol Peugeot, that one linked to isn't particularly cheap, a diesel HDi could be gottne for less. Even though the Megane 11 is known as being muck even by Renault fan boys a diesel 2002 one with recent new turbo that looks quite straight for less than €2000 if you haggle would tempt even me to be honest.

Alfa's are gorgeous and a great drive but when a senior mechanic in an Alfa garage tells you the 156 are dirt and troublesome in 1998 ish when they were new I don't think I'll ever allow myself to buy one. Also sold a car to a mechanic from Wexford last year who had a 156, he reckoned they are not a good bargain buy unless you can do all the maintenance yourself. But I have met loads of folk with them who have never had trouble too.

Of the 4, if they are all straight and in good nick I reckon the Laguna may well be the best buy, with a fresh NCT in a couple of months you would see your €2000 back again if you were patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd have the Alfa 156 or the Peugeot 406. Having owned both, I think that the 406 is an extremely underrated car. The engine (mine was a 2.0 petrol) was only adequate, but the suspension was what really impressed me. It handled almost as well as the Alfa on perfect tarmac, but was streets ahead on poorer roads/over speed ramps etc. If only the Alfa had had that suspension set-up.

I had a '97 406 with the 2.0 TD and, like you, I thought the engine had only adequate power but it handled very well.

Of the cars above the 406 would be my choice but it would be better if you could find one with the hdi engine. Peugeot dont make the best petrol engines and the 1.8 will be thirsty, slow and not all that reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Thanks for the advice lads.

Basically i would love to get a 147 or a 156 but i just can't take the chance & whoever owns one, you have my respect & envy.
    I am a bit sick of boring jap cars. Heres an example of a mazda i have my eye on;

Mazda3232000.jpghttp://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/2.0-TD-5/200950196162178/advert?channel=CARS

Bulletproof, fairly comfortable, practical & all the usual stuff but look at that interior.....zzzzz..sorry i fell asleep describing the car.

Seriously tempted by a 406 hdi, maybe with leather seats if possible, not exactly exciting but a step in a different direction for me & i think they're one of the best looking saloons ever.
    If their used as taxi's then they can't be too unreliable as thats pretty much the biggest test for any car.:)

buy a good 406hdi and unless you are unlucky you will not regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

buy a 3.0 406 Coupe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

buy a 3.0 Accord Coupe!

Jaysus lads 3.0 liter? yearly tax for them is almost 1300 euro!!:eek: Petrol is a thing of the past for me.

Right so what i want is a 2000/2001 406 Hdi with no more than 120,000 miles, leather seats & a decent NCT for under 2500E.:D

Shouldn't be too hard too find.:rolleyes:

You should have no bother finding one for less than that to be honest. I was looking at getting one last summer but found a 1992 W124 instead.

RoverJames wrote: »
    You should have no bother finding one for less than that to be honest. I was looking at getting one last summer but found a 1992 W124 instead.

Can't seem to find any with leather seats though.

I presume they come with that option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laoishibee

Dont buy any of them unless your gonna change car in 2-3 years

theyll cause you more pain than pleasure

but go for an alfa if you are!! more fun!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Leather was standard on top spec 406s, then they introduced the Rapier model from about 2002 onwards, it had half leather seats as standard and other nice toys.

If you specifically want a 406 with leather on your budget then maybe the UK or the North might be a better option:

http://www.usedcarsni.com/32024784?grtkey=1268340832_a0b4d584a00057ea8788aadee0875450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you specifically want a 406 with leather on your budget then maybe the UK or the North might be a better option:

http://www.usedcarsni.com/32024784?grtkey=1268340832_a0b4d584a00057ea8788aadee0875450

+1 on that.

Any 406's I've seen over here are usually minters and very high spec

Advertisement