Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I get Architect or Builder to look at house?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

If I want someone to look at an old house, and give me a fairly accurate estimate of costs to renovate, plus a small extension - do I get an Architect or a Builder or both to look at the house?
    Or is it a Construction services consultant (engineer) type person I should get?
    Looks like some heating pipes and stuff in the kitchen may need to be moved so I'd need to know exactly what would be involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Renovation and extension of an old house can be quite expensive but then again the same applies to a lot of houses.

With an old house you will need major upgrading to certain areas such as wall & floor insulation. Chances are you may have to rewire the place and if its not already installed you will need a good central heating system. Replacement windows and possible remedial works to roof etc all lead to quite an extensive list of works.

All in all Id suggest you get a good reputable architectural technician to look into all this for you and let him liaise with a couple of good local builders and see what sort of expenditure you are looking at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

get an architect or beter still,a structural engineer to design it,and/or get him to put the renovation out to tender.

Its costs a bit of money to do this,but you WILL SAVE alot of money in the long run.Trust me on this (I saved a fortune in the long run).

Tender means that a builder/builders must give a deffinate written quotes/prices for the proposed work/project,and they must bring in the work for that price if they are awarded the work by you.Then when you have decided on your builder,both you and the builder sign the tender contract/paperwork.

If the job goes over the builders submitted tender price,then the builder takes the financial hit,and not you.

If you are not too clued up on building work and renovationing,blockwork,foundations,plumbing etc etc,then spend a few extra quid and get a structural engineer to do a project management job on the building/renovation work.This way you know that the work,like foundations,sub floors,roofing,plumbing,leccy work and stuff like that are all being checked over to make sure that its all above board and to current building codes/regs.

Again,I went down this road,and again,money very well spent.Piece of mind too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

if you own the house get free estimates,contact some builders,

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

belcampprisoner, dont dig up old threads please.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement