Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer n00b...

Options
  • 10-03-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Im a computer noob,so i need a bit of help.Im trying to upgrade my X1300 Pro (256mb) graphics card for a 512mb card.

My main issue is fitting the card inside the actually PC.my current card is small,and i have a pretty crap PC(Dell dimenion E521,Windows Vista SP2)

Also,$100 is my highest budget (trying to save money,you know the story)

I had 1 card in mind,good for the price,just wanted opinions or suggestions on cards,sellers,good offers,etc.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=490297
    Card i had in mind.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Those were cool! ...except they're not available anymore :(

That card was replaced by the HD5750. Which is better, but more expensive and a little more power-hungry :o Prices start at €95 (in Europe, probably under $100 in the US) for the 512MB version. Also bear in mind that the Molex>PCIe power adaptor isn't always included, and you'll most likely need one as I don't think the standard 305W Delta PSU in the old Dells comes with any PCIe plugs :rolleyes:

Of course, it depends on what CPU you have - if its one of the older, weaker E521 options there's no point getting that good a GPU as you'll end up getting bottlenecked by the CPU instead. If so there's no point getting anything more than a HD5670. Also, if you have a low-res (720p or lower) monitor a HD5750 would be wasted in all but the most hardcore situations almost regardless of the CPU, in which case you'll be better off with the HD5670 anyway as the more expensive cards won't get the chance to stretch their legs.

Advertisement