Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viable devices made safe at Athlone head shops

Options
  • 10-03-2010 9:03pm

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0310/athlone.html

Two viable explosive devices have been made safe outside separate head shops in Athlone, Co Westmeath.
    The alerts were in the Golden Island area of the town.
    A number of buildings were evacuated during the alert.

Traffic restrictions have since been lifted.

Fires in Dublin, now bombs what next, and more importantly where?
    Anyone see this happening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

yeah, was on the way into college this morning, around 9.30/9.45 roads blocked off and traffic diverted (didn't know what it was at the time). Came back into town around 11.15 , to pick something up in work. The road was still blocked off, along with the business along it. Got to see the army bomb disposal lads walking up the street, a few mins later, the robot came down the street, I went for a coffee, arrived back and we were finally allowed in to the buildings along the road.

Bit mental indeed, especially considering both shops are only up the road from work either side. And extreme of course, could these muppets not just wait for 3 months and most the places will be out of business due to new laws. It's hard to know if it's disgruntled dealers or joe public getting "outraged".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    It's hard to know if it's disgruntled dealers or joe public getting "outraged".

A little from Column A and a little from Column B I reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    few mins later, the robot come down the street, went for a coffee

Fckin hell, never knew robots drank coffee:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

That's left me with a funny image in my head. Well done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭c0ldfyr3

I heard speculation it was the paramilitaries who are now without a cause now their buddies are cosying up to the old opposition. 'Goons For Hire' seems to be their new tag line these days and it makes more sense than the public or drug dealers putting bombs together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm disgusted by the whole thing. i wont go into it but suffice to say that if you want headshops shut down, yet you dont mind pubs or bookies then you're a hypocrite.

Advertisement