Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of flooring small apartment

Options
  • 10-03-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    Would appreciate any help I can get. Have had the third major leak in my apartment since I moved in. Floors are totally buckled and think I'm going to have to refloor the whole apartment. I'm quite proud of the current floorboards as they are solid hardwood. How much will it cost to replace them?

The apartment is 75metres square and the floorboards run throughout!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

€4000 is what we are being told for 60m squared. Thats semi solid, i think we could have got solid too. Acacia is the style we went for, a walnut type, not too dark.
    If that helps. We looked around for a good while.
    PM if you want.
    Hi Guys
    Would appreciate any help I can get. Have had the third major leak in my apartment since I moved in. Floors are totally buckled and think I'm going to have to refloor the whole apartment. I'm quite proud of the current floorboards as they are solid hardwood. How much will it cost to replace them?

The apartment is 75metres square and the floorboards run throughout!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Cheers Looperman!! Did it take them long to lay it?? Apartment is fully furnished and floorboarded throughout. I didn't want to have to move everything out while the flooring was going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,475 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

4k for what? Just the materials and laydown? What about the rip up and the subfloor repair? Its not just the wood flooring thats going to be damaged if you've had a serious leak. The subfloor will also need replacing.
    I'm quite proud of the current floorboards as they are solid hardwood.
    Sadly thats why theyre probably buckling as badly as they are, as opposed to Engineered Hardwood.

Im on quickbooks here at work (We are a flooring store, in the US) and just for the average cost of a solid, 75 yards or 675 sf, is $4,000. Thats before you even get into aquabar underlayment, the labor, the rip up, and any of the subfloor/crawlspace repair you will need to do before putting down new hardwood floors.

edit: see attached. can't edit contact info, but don't call us :)

I'm going to go on a limb here and say it would be at least as expensive in Ireland/Euro equivalent. More so because most of your Hardwood flooring products are bound to be imports. But by all means, get some Estimates.

Overheal wrote: »
    4k for what? Just the materials and laydown? What about the rip up and the subfloor repair? Its not just the wood flooring thats going to be damaged if you've had a serious leak. The subfloor will also need replacing.

Sadly thats why theyre probably buckling as badly as they are, as opposed to Engineered Hardwood.

Im on quickbooks here at work (We are a flooring store, in the US) and just for the average cost of a solid, 75 yards or 675 sf, is $4,000. Thats before you even get into aquabar underlayment, the labor, the rip up, and any of the subfloor/crawlspace repair you will need to do before putting down new hardwood floors.

edit: see attached. can't edit contact info, but don't call us :)

I'm going to go on a limb here and say it would be at least as expensive in Ireland/Euro equivalent. More so because most of your Hardwood flooring products are bound to be imports. But by all means, get some Estimates.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! Thanks Overheal. That's about €10k at least. I was hoping it would be much cheaper. I'm totally green when it comes to construction so I just wanted an idea of what is a reasonable quote before I go touting. Otherwise, they'd just see me coming. Would it be significantly cheaper to go with laminate/semi solid floors?

That would change that bottom line to about $9,260 if you went with a pretty sub par laminate and underlay. But doing that is probably gonna affect your property value a smidge.

• Advertisement

TBH cheapest could be best. I just don't trust the original plumbing in the apartment. As I mentioned, it's the third significant leak I've had so far. I'd be pretty pissed if I put new hardwood floors down and had to replace them again due to a leaky pipe.

this is why Insurance is a treat :p

Well the cheapest thing per square foot is probably carpet, if you wish to give that a thought. Builder's grade is only really designed to last 5 years under normal wear. It can do, while you decide what to do; if you want to redo hardwood when you can afford it, etc.

I defintely would have the plumbing inspected though. Once is unlucky; Three times is alarming.

Advertisement