Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Photography

• 10-03-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi All

I was just asked by an in-law if I would do their wedding.....:eek:
    I have some of the equipment covered and I will rent/borrow a 2nd body and a 70-200mm f2.8.

My current setup is a 40D 17-55mm F2.8, nifty fifty, sigma 70-300 (which I know will not be used) and a 580exii.

Question is what else would I need ? Extra batteries and memory cards are a given.

Also and here is the big one would any Pro here be willing to allow me tag along someday on a wedding shoot??? Kerry Cork Limerick would be good.

Cheers

Simon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Good luck! Ah you'll enjoy it :D You'll be exhausted, but you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

all I can say is do LOADS of research ...... look at pics done of other weddings ....find poses, set-ups that you like ...write it all down or learn it and have plenty of extra batteries/memory cards.

learn as much as possible about post processing images - and be prepared for a couple of days in front of the computer adjusting images/making slight improvements...adding creative boarders or even text in the boarders of some images.

I can probably give you a loan of some gear if you need it. (Assuming I dont get rid of all my Canon gear - still tempted to switch to the dark side)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

When is the wedding? I'm not a pro but I do the odd wedding and I have one in Kerry in September if you want to tag along.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

PCPhoto wrote: »
    adding creative boarders or even text in the boarders of some images.

do people really actually like that stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

PCPhoto wrote: »
    be prepared for a couple of days in front of the computer adjusting images/making slight improvements...adding creative boarders or even text in the boarders of some images.

All I can say is watch for bra straps. I spent days and days at 400% cloning out the buggers - skin *knows* when its been cloned... Oh, and get a second shooter.

That, and having done it I know why the real pros ask for so much. No pressure, like :D Does your in-law know you haven't covered a wedding before? I'm not being funny - honest to god question. Its just if he expects total pro shots then it might be a bit unfair on you. And him. If he knows your limits then great. And chances are you'll be fantastic ad he'll be delighted :D Just better to be covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

I've emailed this links to one of my clients who's a pro photographer. She's worked with people looking to gain experience in the past. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Thanks SineadW

Looking forward to it really, it's their big day and I'm honoured to be asked but also nervous about not getting it right for them.

Thanks too PCPhoto appreciate the offer and may take you up on borrowing some gear... if you do go to the darkside I may be bidding on the the gear anyway:)

Ballyman that sounds good cheers, they are thinking October but that could change.

Simon

DoMyBooks wrote: »
    I've emailed this links to one of my clients who's a pro photographer. She's worked with people looking to gain experience in the past. Hope this helps

Thanks DoMyBooks

sineadw wrote: »
    All I can say is watch for bra straps. I spent days and days at 400% cloning out the buggers - skin *knows* when its been cloned... Oh, and get a second shooter.

That, and having done it I know why the real pros ask for so much. No pressure, like :D Does your in-law know you haven't covered a wedding before? I'm not being funny - honest to god question. Its just if he expects total pro shots then it might be a bit unfair on you. And him. If he knows your limits then great. And chances are you'll be fantastic ad he'll be delighted :D Just better to be covered.

I told them this evening I'm not a Pro and they should still consider looking at getting a professional, but they like my other stuff I have done so they are happy.

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

Hey there, am a student photographer and am leaning towards the wedding photography side of things, this thread was really rather helpful for me as a result!
    In that same vein i just wanted to say like simonp1 if there were any pros out there who fancied having a second pair of hands, or indeed just didnt mind me tagging along with them id love to just kind of get the feel for it and soak up some knowledge! :)

• Advertisement

Sorry I havent been round these parts lately.....but Saturday is the wedding shoot. I have been to the church a few times and with the bride yesterday for some test shots.....God! what have I got myself into.

All the camera settings I had planned went straight out of my head, thankfully I have a photographer friend coming along to help out.

Here is a link to a few test shots anymore tips would be helpful.
    http://pix.ie/vasilli/album/390389

Simon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Just use the 17-55 and the 70-200, test shots look fine. Each part of the day is predictable so make a list of the normal shots you need to get ( a load here http://weddings.about.com/od/photographer/a/Photogchecklist.htm) and then you will know whats coming up and where to be placed. Keep the shutter speeds up and remember to change your iso from inside the church to outside and the same at the reception. I have said it before that wedding photography is not a black art, its no different to shooting any other event (people think there is more pressure but thats just put on by yourself)

I know its easy for me to say but enjoy the day too, if your having a good time then the couple will relax into it too.

Last but not least dont forget to breathe :) (lots of people when under pressure hold their breath)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I must say it's great to see the help being offered here. Fair play. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Couple of thoughts for you;

mind for shadows indoors - they are noticeable on your inside church ones on the link which you have provided.

stick to the bride like glue. The men won't give a two'penny farthin' so long as they are somewhere in there, but unless they have specified otherwise, then it is fair to assume your primary task on the day will be to capture the bride in her radiance and beauty. In theory this is wrong, but in practice it is the bride who will be hauling your images out in their album over the years. The parents won't. The brothers and sisters won't. The aunts and uncles won't. So just make sure the bride is beautifully covered.

In setups like the tree one which you uploaded - but it could also be your bride peering from behind the groom shoulder or something like that - ensure you get enough face / body in there - too little and the shot will be unusable. This is something that you won't think about naturally if you aren't used to it, so everytime you look through the viewfinder you should make a point of asking yourself how does the scene look. Can you see everything that you thought you have in the scene.

plan the day, get a hold of the ceremony/mass booklet and familiarise yourself with the running order - there will be time when you can feic off down the back and take some 'gathering' type shots or head up to a balcony -- just make sure as per the booklet it not when they are about to exchange rings, or exchange the first kiss.

Some describe a wedding day as being incredibly stressful. I don't particularly agree though then again little gets me stressed generally. I will say that it is a hectic day to capture, and the day will enfold whether you are ready or not and you mostly won't get a chance to do it a second time so try be ready for all eventualities. One suggestion is when you are setting up something (manual settings) give yourself the reassurance of popping the camera into "P" mode or even aperture priority -- this, only in terms of enabling you to catch a candid without having to worry about have you the right manual settings. Candid's will only happen for a moment and if you don't catch it then it will be lost forever.

That said, if you don't get a particular shot which has just happened, don't beat yourself up over it. If you watched the Jasmine Star creativelive wedding photography 5 day workshop, [one of the most sought after worldwide wedding photographer] - one of her lessons was that the images captured on the day "are what they are" which also means that they aren't what they aren't and won't be - so, try your best but don't beat yourself up on anything either. The bride and groom know the deal with you and what level of experience you have so all in all their expectations will be well grounded at this stage.

I presume you've discussed and agreed the approach you are going to take - photo-documentary or traditional poses of everybody says cheese. Try arrange in there some dedicated photograph time that you can spend with the bride and groom. Watch time and manage time. Don't annoy your bride/groom by overimposing on their time yet get enough time to get your job done. It's a balance. Your proposed schedule should be discussed with the bride and groom and allow them plenty of time to do the newly wed meet / greet kind of thing and don't get in the way of any parts of the day.

Don't be too concerned with a "smile everyone" approach. The bride and groom and going to be so overjoyed on that day that they should exude happiness with lots of natural smiles, happiness, and contentment. A bride recently asked me "do you want me to smile or anything" to which I responded that she should smile if she feels like it. She smiled all day long but never unnatural or forced. It makes for better images but certainly keep an eye on it as some people won't be overly comfortable in front of a camera, in which case, you need to spot this try be unobtrusive and ensure you've enough fantastic candid's to show the bride in particular but the goom too in their radiance of the day.

Take your lead from the bride and groom. If the bride says she doesn't want to be photographed with her aunty nuala then don't push it. You are there to capture their day, not to decide the bride/groom is wrong about anything.

Bring a cattle prod (preferably electric) to move the crowd in for a group shot. Ok, you can't prod people but take command of this situation and give direction - find your voice. Ensure you can see everyone, in particular the bridal party.

If shooting RAW then don't underestimate how many memory cards you'll need. It isn't nice to run out of memory cards in the middle of the ceremony, and you'll likely to be shooting everything that moves so you will use them up rapidly.

Have fun. It is fun. It should be fun. If it isn't then you are worrying too much or not doing it right. If you are worrying too much then your images will have that element to them and you don't want that.

It is a tremendous privilege to be able to shoot someone's wedding (whether as a professional or as a talented relative) and you should be humbled at being considered. You, on the day, will provide a view of the wedding that the bride and groom would never have seen only you are there to capture it. Wow. That is awesome. That is both your challenge and your reward.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

If you can drag a helper/assistant along, have them hold reflectors for you to kill those shadows. An average sized 5 in 1 set would do the job, I got mine from ebay for €8 inc P&P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Excellent advice above!

My advice is to keep moving. Pretty much every shot has multiple possibilities & chances are the first one you try won't be the best. Every time you frame a shot, think to yourself - "how can I make this more interesting?" If you can't see the shot through the viewfinder, chimp your way along. Lower, higher, closer, further away are all options. I notice on the shots you've posted they are all eye level, not terrible, but IMO a bit static. Watch your backgrounds, if you can't blur the bejesus out of those branches (signs/cars/bystanders) behind the brides head, then move her or move yourself to get them out of the shot. It's all in the feet. :D

Good luck, as Borderfox said - it's only as stressful as you allow it to be. If you're prepared you'll have blast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ive spent the last few days editing for someone who was in a similar position to you, so based on what I am doing here are my recommendations:

1. Shoot in RAW, most exposure problems can then be fixed.

2. Watch out for poles and trees sticking uo from behind subjects head, this is a given to most people but when you are new and concentrating you may not notice.

3. If you cant time natural shots specifically bring extra cards and switch to continuous for this, a kiss or whatever then will not be missed.

4. Photograph whatever money has been spent on, if you dont think the venue looks nice, that doesnt matter, the couple have spent money on it so include it in shots, as with the car and the church. Photograph shoes, jewlery, details, invites if available, cars, flowers, table settings etc etc etc

5. Finally try not to let the nerves show, if you dont like a shot, dont say it, say oh lovely now can I get you to just lift your shoulder or whatever, this will ease the subject. Be nice and friendly to people but do not be afraid to ask someone to step aside so you can get the shot.

Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

You've gotten some great advice there Simon.

There are just a few things that haven't yet been mentioned.

1. Don't forget to use a tripod when and where you can. As well as allowing you to shoot without flash for interiors like the church it also acts as a bit of a focal point for the groups. For some reason people are more likely to gather round a known point such as a tripod. It works!

2. When the ceremony is over get the Group Shot first. That way 90% of the guests can then toddle off to the bar or whatever and leave you in peace to photograph the smaller groups and bride & groom. You also don't want to leave the group last as it will be impossible to get them to leave the bar!

3. Check the weather forecast. On www.met.ie or something like that. It should give you an indication as to whether you will have some sun or not.

4. Talking of sun. Use any as a back-light or rim-light in as many situations as you can and use your flash to fill in. The difference it can make to an album is amazing.

5. Enjoy the day....and let the B&G see you enjoying it too. It is a great priviledge to be asked to record it.

Best of luck,
    A.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Good luck on the day Simon. Really hope all goes well.

I feel I must compliment the people who posted here. Great advice and some generous offers. Think its why I enjoy boards so much. Fair play to you all.

LeoB

Thanks everyone for the encouragment and advice, I'll be printing this thread off and keep it with my shot list :)

I took Friday off to go back to the church for some final cramming:) and play around with a second ex580 for lighting up the background. The Bride is very easy going and her only real request is to get a shot with her Grandmother.

Anyway I will post the results next week and I'm sure the day and experience will be great.

Cheers again for everything

Simon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Good luck on the day dude, shoot loads and enjoy ...

Best of luck Simon. PM sent.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Great Thread !

I have one coming up myself in 2011
    looking forward to it :D

This may interest you OP
    http://www.instituteofphotography.ie/courses/wedding_beginners.htm

I have never done any of there courses but I hear only good stories from people that have !

I think I will do that course early in the new year
    the nearest thing you can get to the real thing !

Good luck !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭rameire

good luck Simon!

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Couple of thoughts for you;

If shooting RAW then don't underestimate how many memory cards you'll need. It isn't nice to run out of memory cards in the middle of the ceremony, and you'll likely to be shooting everything that moves so you will use them up rapidly.

Lots of great advice in this post (and all the others), but this part stood out for me. Did my first full-day wedding a few weeks back and borrowed a few cards as a backup in case of emergency. I ended up filling 18GB worth of media.

Great Thread !

I have one coming up myself in 2011
    looking forward to it :D

This may interest you OP
    http://www.instituteofphotography.ie/courses/wedding_beginners.htm

I have never done any of there courses but I hear only good stories from people that have !

I think I will do that course early in the new year
    the nearest thing you can get to the real thing !

Good luck !

I attended that. Great course - but doesn't cover everything. You have to do a lot of research yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    ...Bring a cattle prod (preferably electric) to move the crowd in for a group shot. Ok, you can't prod people but take command of this situation and give direction - find your voice. Ensure you can see everyone, in particular the bridal party.....

A very practical aid for taking such a shot is a loud whistle. It immediately focusses everyone's attention on you, the photographer, and you can then direct the crowd as you wish.

However, don't stress out over the group shot. If the crowd are compliant and are willing to co-operate, fine. If not, forget about it. You don't HAVE to include such a shot and during the course of the day - and especially at the reception - you will have plenty of opportunities for including as many people as possible at the wedding, if not all.

I know plenty of photographers who deliberately do not attempt such a shot as it is usually a right royal pain in the posterior trying to marshal everyone into a manageable group. And, of course, the bigger the wedding the more problematic it is.

Carrigman wrote: »
    A very practical aid for taking such a shot is a loud whistle. It immediately focusses everyone's attention on you, the photographer, and you can then direct the crowd as you wish.

Really? To each their own and all that, but IMO this is a very fast way to look like an idiot. No one likes having a whistle blown at them. I've heard many stories from couples about being at a wedding and the photographer blew a whistle....not good.

Group shots at the church are so handy, keep the crowd interested by talking (loudly) to them and cajole them into place. When all in place I take a normal shot 24-70/17-40 and then bring the bride & groom forward and get up higher than them an use a fisheye really close with the crowd cheering and sticking their hands in the air. Seems to go well each time, I will post up an example later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Borderfox wrote: »
    an use a fisheye really close with the crowd cheering and sticking their hands in the air. Seems to go well each time, I will post up an example later

Got to love those fisheye shots at weddings!! :D :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

eas wrote: »
    Really? To each their own and all that, but IMO this is a very fast way to look like an idiot. No one likes having a whistle blown at them. I've heard many stories from couples about being at a wedding and the photographer blew a whistle....not good.

Actually, Lord Lichfield used a whistle to marshal the crowd at Diana and Charles' wedding and if it's good enough for Lord Lichfield it's good enough for us lesser mortals. More importantly, it works. Use it obviously only for the group shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Borderfox wrote: »
    Group shots at the church are so handy, keep the crowd interested by talking (loudly) to them and cajole them into place. When all in place I take a normal shot 24-70/17-40 and then bring the bride & groom forward and get up higher than them an use a fisheye really close with the crowd cheering and sticking their hands in the air. Seems to go well each time, I will post up an example later

dont forget this plz im interested to see how it works thanks, :)

Carrigman wrote: »
    Actually, Lord Lichfield used a whistle to marshal the crowd at Diana and Charles' wedding and if it's good enough for Lord Lichfield it's good enough for us lesser mortals. More importantly, it works. Use it obviously only for the group shot.

I stand corrected. ;)

Hi All,

This is a great thread I'm alot more confident from reading all the suggestions.
    The fisheye is a nice idea but afraid I'm limited to the 17-55mm and the 70-300 apo, I was unable to get my hands on a 70-200 f2.8 :(

Anyhow 1 question I will have 2 580exii flashes and I'm hoping to trigger the second flash behind the alter to light up the background. Should I set the remote flash to use ETTL or manually set it?? I'm going to the rehersal tomorrow evening so I can try it out.

Cheers

Simon

4433242290_85a602ca5d.jpg
    IMG_1147 by simonc532001, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

simonp1 wrote: »
    Anyhow 1 question I will have 2 580exii flashes and I'm hoping to trigger the second flash behind the alter to light up the background. Should I set the remote flash to use ETTL or manually set it?? I'm going to the rehersal tomorrow evening so I can try it out.

Simon

I haven't tried ETTL on remote flashes, but be aware if you are setting the flash on manual then the camera will also need to be on manual for predictable results. One important question - have you confirmed with the priest that flash photography is allowed ? I think most are okay with it, but some are not. Better find out now than on the day.

Best of luck :-)

Old Perry wrote: »
    dont forget this plz im interested to see how it works thanks, :)

Here ya go, I was about two feet from the couple stood on a peli case above them.

9B30DA562BF84809B89F16611843B483-0000314346-0001975204-00800L-6BA3AC4F64F446E79941DCDBD7A88655.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Evildemon

Followed your thread with interest as I myself am looking into wedding photography.Came across this site which you may find useful:

http://www.myphotobook.ie/Photobook

Simply download the software and add your photo's and send them back and they'll send you your album, maybe a nice finishing touch for your wedding...

Done...absolutely shattered, I will never do it again it was incredibly stressful. Anyway we got the shots between the two us I hope. I'll post example during the week.

Simon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well done. Enjoy your rest.

You might change your mind about never doing it again when the B/G see the photos :)

• Advertisement

Done...absolutely shattered, I will never do it again it was incredibly stressful. Anyway we got the shots between the two us I hope. I'll post example during the week.

Simon

Well done Simon.

Glad to hear you had no problems.:)

I have one or two examples for the photobook type shots.
    2B327997B08E485F9EDF87ECD1BAFE9D-0000322352-0001981907-00800L-15EA8BF629E84E96A4CB14D4D460BB3D.jpg

A1AC8401AFB449E7892E6707D75D956D-0000322352-0001981908-00800L-141D324371BD4629B43511EF1D09406E.jpg

What ye think?

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Some lovely shots there ,now splash out and get that fish-eye ,you know you wanna!!:)

hoganpoly wrote: »
    Some lovely shots there ,now splash out and get that fish-eye ,you know you wanna!!:)

How much will it cost?:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Simon

Congrats the shots look great....:)

You can buy a manual focus fisheye as one its on infinity everything is in focus up to a foot away

1.D05696391CA54DEFA2FC9B77FF1086D8-0000322352-0002013463-00800L-731904A1358B4D068E7EA519E0F78A3A.jpg

2.4B9205B197DD479D9D932828A8CCEC35-0000322352-0002013457-00800L-69C3C44F393446458AD54FDA22F41DC4.jpg

3.0245E657A68D430CAF7E36A21A63651E-0000322352-0002013443-00800L-7C3B195FC51341BD91784EE95894AA31.jpg

4.DC77B4F781314860AE4FA3B2C3ADECE2-0000322352-0002013519-00800L-ED03C516D0E94F058755665A7DDEF9B6.jpg
    ^Not Great

5.71A0416B4B8943E19F3BECAD624FED48-0000322352-0002013510-00800L-7AAB1327BEF24F7A93AF09C029B8EF20.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

I love that shot of the ring being put on the finger.

Excellent

Cheers Skid

6.81AA94F6B7EA46A3A03EC756C25FF70E-0000322352-0002013473-00800L-6047FF8C95D84B4AAD548A28B5ACC983.jpg

Excellent.

My favs are 1, 2, 3, and 6. All really nice. well done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement